Gaming Political Discussion

How do you know the executives were, "in there playing the game along with the dev team" ?

Game development progression is usually tied to milestones, upon which the executives (in this case would most likely be the head of Sony's Worldwide Studios) would be presented with game demonstrations, timelines for completion, vertical slices of levels, as well as in some cases entire copies of games before final polishing towards the end. If Sony had done its own due diligence, there is no way they did not understand what is happening before the game is finished. Sometimes studio heads or technical leads will come into the office and chat around with people.

Given what I know about how games are developed, it is very difficult for me to envision a scenario where a game that cost at least a hundred million dollars and four full years to develop was not thoroughly examined by Sony. Such a process would also be followed for Ghost of Tsushima, with Sucker Punch also being supervised by some of the very same people.

Game development progression is usually tied to milestones, upon which the executives (in this case would most likely be the head of Sony's Worldwide Studios) would be presented with game demonstrations, timelines for completion, vertical slices of levels, as well as in some cases entire copies of games before final polishing towards the end. If Sony had done its own due diligence, there is no way they did not understand what is happening before the game is finished. Sometimes studio heads or technical leads will come into the office and chat around with people.

Given what I know about how games are developed, it is very difficult for me to envision a scenario where a game that cost at least a hundred million dollars and four full years to develop was not thoroughly examined by Sony. Such a process would also be followed for Ghost of Tsushima, with Sucker Punch also being supervised by some of the very same people.
I guess that makes sense. Based on your writing style, enthusiasm, and knowledge base, I was assuming you were some sort of industry insider. To the average layperson some of the practices you mentioned seem kinda out there. Hence my wondering where you acquired this knowledge.

I answered this several posts ago. You're either being obtuse or just trolling.
Most of my knowledge of how games are made comes from the few (like 3) game development documentaries I've seen. Considering how much you game I'd figured you'd have a more in depth knowledge base than a regular game enthusiast. Didn't think anyone else would have you beat.

Guess it's more than three, also seen the making of Doom, Fallout 4, and Detroit: Become Human.:ROFLMAO:

I never do.

I doubt anyone else knows where you’re going with your trolling.
Oh you. You're such a kidder. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
First time I've ever been called an industry insider because of my prose, lol. Appreciate the discussion though @R.Caerbannog.
Same here, that was fun. By the way, other than Blood Sweat and Pixels, is there any other reading or open source information that an average Joe could look at for information on the gaming industry?

is there any other reading or open source information that an average Joe could look at for information on the gaming industry?

Schreier writes for Kotaku a lot. A lot of the information that I learned about the game development process comes from his debriefs about how individual games have done. I also took the video game law class at my law school in addition to some entertainment law classes. Honestly, those documentaries that you linked are great for getting started. There's a lot of info out there in books as well, but I haven't been able to read out as much as I'd have liked.

Honestly, I'm not sure anything will make EA broke at this point. They haven't made a decent Madden in a decade, but they still makes millions off of it.

Go Woke, Get Broke. I'm not sure what demographic EA thinks buys Madden, but I'm not sure this helps them sell vidya games.

Gridiron Notes: Welcome Back, Kap!

Honestly, I'm not sure anything will make EA broke at this point. They haven't made a decent Madden in a decade, but they still makes millions off of it.

It won't convince Joe or Sue to pick up a copy if they've never gotten a copy. But the people who do pick up a copy every year won't really care either way, don't really see many people shaking their controllers going "NO KNEELING IN MY VIDEOGAME".

Also to counter the narrative that Karpernick was a "bad QB"

It won't convince Joe or Sue to pick up a copy if they've never gotten a copy. But the people who do pick up a copy every year won't really care either way, don't really see many people shaking their controllers going "NO KNEELING IN MY VIDEOGAME".

Also to counter the narrative that Karpernick was a "bad QB"

He was good and he was also bad. That's why Blaine Gabbert took his job.

Back