Gardening

I always put chicken wire over and around my raised garden bed. Never have a problem with birds (knocking on wood).

I have it on the sides (2 feet high - half plywood, half fine mesh fencing) mostly to keep rabbits out. Squirrels climb it, but they're timid and selective. Birds are a new threat this year so I haven't historically needed to cover the top of the box.

Spearmint is like a weed, be careful with it.

I would do it in a container. Shit will be everywhere in a year.

We got a couple last week from a friend and she said the same - she'd planted it in one location, it was now ground cover more than 2 yards away* and taking over. She recommended a container (which is what we're going to do).

*a somewhat important note re the ground container - hers shot out a vine/stem across the distance and the rest was history. See here re: underground stems: How to Grow Fresh Mint That Won't Overrun Your Garden

We got a couple last week from a friend and she said the same - she'd planted it in one location, it was now ground cover more than 2 yards away* and taking over. She recommended a container (which is what we're going to do).

*a somewhat important note re the ground container - hers shot out a vine/stem across the distance and the rest was history. See here re: underground stems: How to Grow Fresh Mint That Won't Overrun Your Garden
Put my container out on my deck.

Just planted tomatoes a couple of days ago. Started later because we have still been down in the 40's at night. Not hoping for much. I'll probably be going to the farmers market more this year. We shall see.

Just planted tomatoes a couple of days ago. Started later because we have still been down in the 40's at night. Not hoping for much. I'll probably be going to the farmers market more this year. We shall see.

Where are you? If we don't plant them by Mother's Day, we won't get tomatoes.

Where are you? If we don't plant them by Mother's Day, we won't get tomatoes.
I usually have best luck planting mid to late May. I've never done very well before or right after Mothers day, but usually have them in before now. We were at 48 degrees last night. Not normal here.

You can cover the plants and take other measures but the ground is still cold and its no guarantee.

Cincinnati area...we wait until after mothers day because its still too cool at night. We get tomatoes until late in the year but its still unusually cool here at night. So its wait and see for mine now.

I'm just north of you. Planted around May 1st and we've got a few flowers (started a few weeks ago). Farmer's Almanac gives the last frost dates as the end of April. Been using that as a guidepost for the last few years with no issues.

Back