Gardening

Yes, now I've got a house with some land and established beds etc I've been getting into it.

At the moment we've got carrots, parsnips, pumpkin, onions and leeks going.

Over summer had carrots, agria potatoes, corn, passionfruit, like 5 peaches from the tree, about 10kg of tomatoes, sweet chilies, capsicum, onion.

Planted a couple of lemon and plum trees too as well as a lime tree. Lemons coming along nicely but limes not producing so will need to give it a boost. Not expecting anything from the plum trees until maybe next summer.

Too early for us still but we will look to grow all the herbs, tomatoes, and I’ll do a run of Swiss strawberries in addition to last year.

Cooking is a headspace scraper for me, like shooting is. Cleaning however…

Right now I'm looking at 4 tomato plants (3 different types), 2 cucumber (one regular, one for pickles), 1 zucchini, and 1 jalapeno. I'll still have space, so I'm trying to figure out what else to grow. Probably some type of melon.

I think I have mine figured out. Both are 4x8 raised beds with nearly 100% of the day in sunlight

Plot 1: 1 Cherry tomato, 2 beefsteak, 1 heirloom. 2 basil. 1 Jalapeno
Plot 2: 1 pickling-type cucumber, 1 regular cucumber. 1 zucchini. (all on a vertical or maybe teepee trellis). 1 watermelon I can weave around the trellises.

Marigolds around the 'maters because they are a good insect repellent. A few other flowers here and there for pollinators. I'm thinking about making some 6"x6" cedar boxes to screw into the bed frame material for additional flowers if needed.

I've grown tomatoes and basil before, but none of the others, especially using a trellis. The worst I can do is screw it up and learn for next year.

Last year we did cherry tomatoes, heirloom, zucchini, lettuce in the beds. We did all the herbs in hanging boxes that hung off the back deck railing, shorter walk from kitchen. With the overflow herbs we tried the freezing them in ice cubes and keeping them in the freezer bagged.

We probably won't do zucchini again and only due to how much space the plant took up. Anyone have anything they wouldn't grow again?

We still have snow on some of our yard...

My dad's family in is Wisconsin and in UP Michigan. They still have snow. The other day it was almost 80 here, my cousin said it was 2 degrees where they live.

But aside from my wife's birthday I hate March...28 one night, followed by 70 the next day, storms, ugly yellow pollen....and if you don't know when to plant a garden you risk losing everything to this weird-ass weather.

My dad's family in is Wisconsin and in UP Michigan. They still have snow. The other day it was almost 80 here, my cousin said it was 2 degrees where they live.

But aside from my wife's birthday I hate March...28 one night, followed by 70 the next day, storms, ugly yellow pollen....and if you don't know when to plant a garden you risk losing everything to this weird-ass weather.
It's supposed to go to high 50's today with rain and was in the low 20's, 2 hours ago. This will likely get rid of the snow left in the open. Probably another week or two for the bush. Long term forecast, 2 more weeks and we won't have the risk of waking up to below freezing temperatures.

80s yesterday, upper 60s today after storm last night. I have, in the past, planted early, but put plastic gallon milk jugs over the plants to keep warm and frost off. Worked great.

The Mrs has some blueberry plants, a few lemon and lime trees and her roses, so she's more the gardener. The lemons and limes aren't quite ripe yet.

Im re-seeding some troubled pasture areas and hoping to get some results this year. I’m reforesting some other areas. I planted 58 pine trees last month and they’re doing well.

I've generally had good luck with peppers, and am trying to get a jump start indoors this year before transplanting outside. We've done tomatoes, but they tend to end up feeding the squirrels more than us. Might be time to start figuring out a good squirrel+pepper recipe.

Started a Gardyn inside the house about a month ago, going to see how we like it compared to the Tower Garden we used last year.

Waiting on planting the raised beds in the backyard, because we still had a weekend where we dropped into the 30s, and now we are being hit by storms with hail. Have to love north Florida.

Back