General Questions about Your Security Clearance

1st question: Do you already have a clearance?

2nd question: If not, have you filled out an SF-86?
If you do, have you filled out a NEW SF-86?

3rd question: Do you have PCS orders (Or any for that matter) stating you require a TS/SCI Clearance?

1st question: Do you already have a clearance?

2nd question: If not, have you filled out an SF-86?
If you do, have you filled out a NEW SF-86?

3rd question: Do you have PCS orders (Or any for that matter) stating you require a TS/SCI Clearance?

Yes I currently have a clearance. I have not filled out a SF-86 for the TS. I don't have PCS orders my retention NCO said before he could do the paperwork to reclass me I needed a CI poly.

Your S2 should be able to help you. I understand you got the run-around from the folks you talked to but they need to keep asking higher echelons until they find the right answer.

It's not something S2s do everyday in a lot of units but there are resources to secure CI polygraphs. It's also something your recruiter/retention NCO should be able to track down. Talk to them again and give them the chance to solve the problem, if they still won't help shoot me a PM with your specific unit information and we'll get them squared away.

Last edited:
I can't seem to find anything regarding my issue with this specifically, so:

If I've stolen something, by not paying the full price for it (and then paying later) will that affect my ability to pass or outright make it impossible? My employer at the time had a "talk" with me, and didn't get the police involved. That "talk" was basically just "why" and "how can we help you". Great people, really.

The things you have to declare on your SF86 (your security questionnaire) are convictions - misdemeanor and felony. There's no 'have you ever done something wrong' question - it's have you been arrested/convicted of a crime.

The only place it will come up is when interviewers go around and talk to people who know you. They'll ask about your character.

Bottom line, what's done is done. I doubt you'll have trouble getting a clearance based on this but you'll have to roll the dice.

Lies have a way of showing up during interviews. Be honest. Honesty can be dealt with concerning those types of issues...lying will not! Honesty is your best policy...not to mention, it shows you have integrity.

I'll remember that. Another question, I went to a therapist when I was like 10 due to family issues, I won't go into detail, it was just one visit and nothing of issue, from my memory, was visited. Any issues there?

I'll remember that. Another question, I went to a therapist when I was like 10 due to family issues, I won't go into detail, it was just one visit and nothing of issue, from my memory, was visited. Any issues there?

Don't "overthink" these things. That shouldn't be an issue. People tend to worry themselves to death anticipating clearances. People are "human" and make mistakes and see therapists at times for things. Don't worry about it. Keep your head down and focused and don't worry about it.

Drive on....

Thanks, thanks, thanks. Big time help here. I'd be fairly upset if I couldn't get the jobs I wanted due to mistakes I've made, or things out of my control. Though I suppose if they didn't think I should have a security clearance, then I shouldn't have one

Yes I currently have a clearance. I have not filled out a SF-86 for the TS. I don't have PCS orders my retention NCO said before he could do the paperwork to reclass me I needed a CI poly.

Why are you needing a CI Poly? Just getting a TS/SCI does not require a CI Poly....it is required for certain programs...it is not MOS directed.

Why are you needing a CI Poly? Just getting a TS/SCI does not require a CI Poly....it is required for certain programs...it is not MOS directed.

Reclasses to 35L do require a CI polygraph. Also, 35Ps have to sign a waiver saying they're willing to get a CI poly - but whether they get it or not is dependent on their assignment. I think the 35L requirement is fairly new - I didn't know about it until looking into it from this thread.

Wow, that is new....when I was a 35L and retired in that MOS in 2015, a CI Poly was only required if the assignment required it..SMU...SAP...etc.

That's gonna have to add some new poly positions

Wow, that is new....when I was a 35L and retired in that MOS in 2015, a CI Poly was only required if the assignment required it..SMU...SAP...etc.

That's gonna have to add some new poly positions

Yeah, I thought the same thing but after this thread asked the question I went to our retention NCO and sure enough, it is a requirement - not sure when it went into effect. Also, not sure how much correlation there is but the only intel MOS with a worse shortage than 35T is 35L - and that's been true for almost 2 years.

Yeah, I thought the same thing but after this thread asked the question I went to our retention NCO and sure enough, it is a requirement - not sure when it went into effect. Also, not sure how much correlation there is but the only intel MOS with a worse shortage than 35T is 35L - and that's been true for almost 2 years.

After running around Bragg and finally calling the school house at good fellow, they told me that the CI poly would be done during the AIT school and all I needed to attend the course would be the interim TS/SCI. Thanks for the help gentleman.

Anyone recently gone from a secret to a top secret clearance? I understand a lot of factors go into a ssbi, but how long did it take you to get it? I've read elsewhere they are taking around 200 days but not sure on how accurate that is.

That's the average I've heard. OMPI - other than losing all your data to the Chinese - has gone back and forth in quality control on investigations. They had a huge backlog 10-15 years ago and went the contracted route for investigations. Inevitably there were quality/thoroughness issues and they've see-sawed a bit the last few years.

That's a long way of saying experiences vary - I've seen them done in 90 days or over a year in the last 5 years. But, once it's in you're eligible for an interim TS which is almost as good. Basically it treats you as though you have a TS until the SSBI is complete or something pops negative in the system. It requires a mission justification but most CDR's are pretty liberal with those - will sign whatever the SSO puts in front of them. The SSO has to do an initial review but it's just them looking over your SF86 and seeing if you have red flags. If the answer is no you're good.

Thanks. Trying to career plan at my current job even though I've accepted a position elsewhere. I don't want to use current command resources that could be used better by someone staying, but if it's going to be > 6 months, I won't feel as guilty for taking someone else's spot at specific training events.

With an interim, are you still eligible for SCI?

Thanks. Trying to career plan at my current job even though I've accepted a position elsewhere. I don't want to use current command resources that could be used better by someone staying, but if it's going to be > 6 months, I won't feel as guilty for taking someone else's spot at specific training events.

With an interim, are you still eligible for SCI?

Yes, they go together. Always be working for a TS with SCI access - if the SCI part isn't on there something has gone wrong on the SSO side of the application process. If an SSO or S2 tries to split it off look for a second opinion - they're likely incompetent or have some other agenda.

Hey guys I’m rotc and commissioning in two years my question is that I have a foreign national father born in England and never got US citizenship. My mom left when I was seven and as far as I know she was a us born citizen. I am us born and raised and only left the country three times, twice to England when I was 6 and 7 and once to the Canadian side of niagra falls when I was 18. I was wondering if this will end up creating problems when putting in for my security clearance. Normally we are told to do it in senior year but another midshipman had to postpone his commissioning because he was fired from a job prior to starting college. Obviously I am talking about my secret clearance but would there be issues later on as well let’s say if I wanted to get TS. Any information would be great and if someone would like to pm to give m better information I would be truly grateful.

Back