General Questions about Your Security Clearance

I don't think anything you just said should be disqualifying or overly-complicating during your clearance process. It will help if you're able to provide as many details as possible (names, dates, locations, addresses) when you fill out your paperwork.

The worst thing you can do is not be 100% truthful during the application process.

Thank you for the information on top of that would I need to find current information on my mother. My father told me to put down our address as hers since we haven’t seen her in 10+ years and didn’t know where she went from us but I figure that could fall under the category of dishonest.

As long as you can explain everything, you'll be fine. I'm a contractor these days, but I work with a gentleman who is married to a Brit, and owns property in England. Don't over think it. Over a million US citizens have TS/SCI. Keep your finances straight, your relationships cordial, don't be dishonest, and it will be okay.

I am not a BI, but will discuss what I have learned in the past three years about Secret and Top Secret clearnaces.

1. Be prepared for a long wait period. My Secret clearance took almost 365 days and I wasn't even interviewed. Gaining a TS was shorter, closer to 225 days from filling out the SF 86 throuh adjudication. No interim was given. I have other colleagues however who are going on day 365 and have yet to be contacted by an agent for their TS interview.
2. You are a U.S. natural-born citizen. You will declare on your SF 86 your parents nationality. You'd better ask your father if your mother was a U.S. citizen or not if you still have no contact with her. You will also need to disclose any other foreign contacts. Be honest and list them. Having foreign family or friends may not in and of itself be a disqualifying factor.
3. Traveling outside the country may not prohibit you from getting a clearance. It all depends on where you go and how often. You will state on your SF 86 travel to a foreign country in the past 7 years. I have traveled to various Caribbean countries over the past 7 years on vacations and it wasn't a big deal. During the interview I was asked about it and explained it was for vacation purposes. There will be follow-on questions but from what you stated it won't be a problem.
4. Getting fired from a job by itself may not prohibit you from getting a clearance. Your friend must have stolen something or had other character issues that came about during the investigation.

The best piece of advice I can tell you is this: Telling the truth will never make you forget who you told what.

I am not a BI, but will discuss what I have learned in the past three years about Secret and Top Secret clearnaces.

1. Be prepared for a long wait period. My Secret clearance took almost 365 days and I wasn't even interviewed. Gaining a TS was shorter, closer to 225 days from filling out the SF 86 throuh adjudication. No interim was given. I have other colleagues however who are going on day 365 and have yet to be contacted by an agent for their TS interview.
2. You are a U.S. natural-born citizen. You will declare on your SF 86 your parents nationality. You'd better ask your father if your mother was a U.S. citizen or not if you still have no contact with her. You will also need to disclose any other foreign contacts. Be honest and list them. Having foreign family or friends may not in and of itself be a disqualifying factor.
3. Traveling outside the country may not prohibit you from getting a clearance. It all depends on where you go and how often. You will state on your SF 86 travel to a foreign country in the past 7 years. I have traveled to various Caribbean countries over the past 7 years on vacations and it wasn't a big deal. During the interview I was asked about it and explained it was for vacation purposes. There will be follow-on questions but from what you stated it won't be a problem.
4. Getting fired from a job by itself may not prohibit you from getting a clearance. Your friend must have stolen something or had other character issues that came about during the investigation.

The best piece of advice I can tell you is this: Telling the truth will never make you forget who you told what.

Is the SF 86 used for both Secret and TS, or just TS?

In the employment section are they only wanting jobs that you had to file taxes for? For example, do temporary jobs during college in which you were paid cash and made less that $400 have to be listed?

Thank you for the information on top of that would I need to find current information on my mother. My father told me to put down our address as hers since we haven’t seen her in 10+ years and didn’t know where she went from us but I figure that could fall under the category of dishonest.
I have the same issue with my biological father. Haven't seen him in 25 years. I just put down that I could not locate him (which I could not).
ETA: My clearance is TS.

New question here, case specific:

I'm 25 and sober for 6 years. I'm in the process of filling out my sf86 and am going to MEPS next week. My recruiter has tried to give me a spiel related to not disclosing anything I haven't been charged with, and I do have an expunged juvenille felony that I don't feel nervous about in any capacity in regards to having to explain to someone at anypoint. I am more so curious as regards my history with drugs and alcohol, and if anyone has heard of/known any sober individuals who obtained their TS clearance despite an active period of addiction in the past. Unfortunately, I was an ass when I was younger and have used drugs past the provided limits, yet it will be 7 years without come June. Any input is appreciated in this case.

Don't lie and answer the questions truthfully. The whole point of the process is to look at the whole individual. If your past choices deny you a clearance, then they deny you a clearance. If you're not truthful then you aren't a trustworthy Individual capable of possessing a clearance.

Don't lie and answer the questions truthfully. The whole point of the process is to look at the whole individual. If your past choices deny you a clearance, then they deny you a clearance. If you're not truthful then you aren't a trustworthy Individual capable of possessing a clearance.
Thank you @GOTWA . Concise and simple, I appreciate it.

Back