General Questions about Your Security Clearance

That's a good example. My experience has been that nobody really cares about a minimal degree of marijuana use. In fact, I usually have to explain, "No really, I've never tried Mary Jane even one time" when I do my interviews because its use by people before they join the military is so widespread. That's not to say it's OK to hit the pipe- if you're planning on joining the military, grab your nuts and "just say no."

My wife had a 96B working for her that lied about what turned out to be some very serious drug use as a teenager; he probably wouldn't have gotten a clearance anyway but when they found out he was FOS about his drug use, he got some good UCMJ lovin' and got punted with a general discharge.

Exactly.

Tell them exactly the truth. Don't worry about it, just tell them. You're either going to make it you aren't. If you can't be honest in that, why would/should we trust you with national security and the lives of the men on the line?

It's no joke, folks. It's a serious deal. Clearances aren't just some "check the block" type of concept. They mean something. Be honest and say what you gotta say.

Things That Can Affect Your Clearance: Indebtedness

From the article:

The Pentagon contends financial problems can distract personnel from their duties or make them vulnerable to bribery and treason. As a result, those who fall heavily into debt can be stripped of the security clearances they need to go overseas.

So if you dont want to deploy buy a new truck.

Seems silly to me, but...

I have a question, they look back 5 years for a secret clearance, so things that happened prior to the 5 years are irrelevant?

Im assuming not, so how does that work?

BUMP

I have a question, they look back 5 years for a secret clearance, so things that happened prior to the 5 years are irrelevant?

Im assuming not, so how does that work?

Anyone?

At work right now....easier to answer specific issues/areas of concern. For Army, the regulation that drives the process is AR 380-67. Just throw that in your browser and go thru it.

If that doesn't give you a good enough idea..send me a PM

for a secret they usually just run you through electronic checks unless you put something down that they wish to investigate in depth. When I had my ssbi, I was supposed to go back 10 yrs or 16 yrs of age. They built a giant web of people to talk to, which they got from the references i put down. they will find out so just list everything.
The paperwork may ask you to list back a few years but if they find some negative info that happened prior to that period i would wager that it would come into play.
theres a guy who I processed that got popped for fireworks dealing and a bunch of other low grade crimes, has a clearance folder an inch thick, but has his TS/SCI. Throw it out there on the form, use the additional info box to clarify anything in detail so there is no confusion. They most likely will find out. THe whole reason for the check is not to see what you can hide but, s so that all the skeletons are out of the closet so you cant be blackmailed/bribed or unduely influenced.

If the enemy has done their homework they'll know they dont have to blackmail me to get secrets.

"You've Beer, women, and money!? what do you want to know?"

Great advice. When I was going thru my initial interview I had almost every box checked off (thought I would never get the clearance), but here are also some key points. Never get caught doing any of the indiscretions and don't lie about ever doing them.

If the enemy has done their homework they'll know they dont have to blackmail me to get secrets.

"You've Beer, women, and money!? what do you want to know?"
Define "enemy"
The blackmailer doesnt have to be a hostile force. It could be as simple as someone with a grudge who works at your unit that discovers something and uses that to influence you. I think you're missing the intent of my statement above.

I have a really dumb question here.

Can I assume an upgrade from Secret to TS/SCI will follow the same process as a new Investigation?

Please feel free to PM response

TIA

ESL

So there is no more EPSQ? Shit, I am due to renew or update mine in a couple of years, I better get with the S2.

Many govt agencies are using EQIP now, which if you have a copy of your SF-86, its a breeze to input.

Back