Getting In Shape

Focus on core. I'd also focus on functional fitness and cals considering that's what you'll be doing during your selection. Don't neglect proper warm up and cool downs. Do strength training few times a week. And don't forget to strengthen your hips... Having weak hips can cause injuries down the road. Good luck and research as much as you can, it's only to your benefit.

My .02

Don't give advice about something you have no experience about.
Pardus, Moderator.

Check out:
Militaryathlete.com
sofwod.com
Rescueathlete.com(offers swim training as well)
sealswcc.com(they have a pretty good program to follow)
mobilitywod.com

Last edited by a moderator:
ZManTX, not that your advice is wrong, but what branch are you in and which SOF selection did you complete?

I remember one guy who looked like a Michaelangelo sculpture who nearly drowned during a surface infil during selection. Beach muscles did not save him.

Last edited:
Whole Post

Thanks, @Viper1 - this was exactly what I was looking for. Much obliged.

Get these books, read them through and take it on board, they cover a lot more than simply fitness.

Get Selected For Special Forces

and

The SAS Personal Trainer

All the best.

Thanks for the pointers, Pardus! Grabbed Get Selected a few weeks ago. And holy shit, Wiseman was my idol when I was a wee guy. Somewhere in a storage unit is an SAS Handbook with tiny Six-Two finger prints all over it.

In response to the original post- if you really just want to get stronger, I would get rid of most or all of the accessory work and focus on the barbell movements (bench, squat, deadlift, press) and use pull ups, push ups, flutter kicks, sit ups. etc.

The returns on assistance work are much less than the big barbell lifts because you can't move as much weight.

@Six-Two ... you've gotten a lot of advice here. Now you need to quit posting and read as instructed, read a lot, there is more training knowledge on this forum than you can imagine.

Got it. My gym buddy is in LV for work tomorrow (the irony!) so I'll see how much I suck at Hello Dollies and rope climbs tomorrow. Thanks all.

Thanks, @Viper1
Thanks for the pointers, Pardus! Grabbed Get Selected a few weeks ago. And holy shit, Wiseman was my idol when I was a wee guy. Somewhere in a storage unit is an SAS Handbook with tiny Six-Two finger prints all over it.

No problem. Post in here once you get a copy of SAS Personal Trainer.

Back