Getting into the military with PDD-NOS...

TeamAmerica

Unverified
I have PDD-NOS and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to get a waiver. The military has been my ideal profession since forever and I was wondering if a waiver would be possible. Any suggestions?

I completed Extreme SEAL Experience in the fall of last year and I loved every minute of it. I thought I wanted to be a Navy SEAL but now I know I must become a Navy SEAL!

OH, dont think it would be a problem unless it causes problems. If it's not terribly noticble. Curse its been 17 years since I was in.

Is this similar to Asperger?

Nevermind appears it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

PDD-NOS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDD-NOS

Interestingly enough I knew a Soldier with Aspergers, and I have to say he was borderline disfunctional. I'm not saying you are but I know he was/is. Having said that he was brilliant almost Idiot Savantish. So in some areas he excelled but it was a matter of extreme focus; but afterwards would almost break down.

In no way am I saying these characteristics fit you, I'm just thinking out loud I suppose.

TeamAmerica,
I have more experience with PDD than even I want to know. If you are on any kind of prescription on a daily basis you will want to make that clear to your recruiter. Please feel free to PM me and let me know how your inquiries go.

I talked to a recruiter... He told me not to mention it as there is most likely no record of the diagnosis and thus will not be an issue as long as I don't say anything...

I talked to a recruiter... He told me not to mention it as there is most likely no record of the diagnosis and thus will not be an issue as long as I don't say anything...

"Most Likely"... willing to bet a felony conviction on that?

Are you on meds for this? Have you ever been?

How many years ago were you diagnosed?

Honor above all. Lying by omission is not an honorable way to even think about starting a military career.

Find another recruiter. It's kinda like doctors, get a second opinion. If the second one tells you to lie then go up their chain of command.

LL

PM inbound... Listen to me and the others on here when we say... Never, ever, ever lie. You want to be a SEAL? Well, they have to obtain a clearance, you get caught lying there, you are done, and trust me, they will find out.

"Most Likely"... willing to bet a felony conviction on that?

Are you on meds for this? Have you ever been?

How many years ago were you diagnosed?

I was on meds (ritalin) for a very short time sometime before I was 10. I got the PDD-NOS thing in grade school.

Honor above all. Lying by omission is not an honorable way to even think about starting a military career.

I never said there was any honor in it, I am just scared as hell of not being able to start my military career at all.

PM inbound... Listen to me and the others on here when we say... Never, ever, ever lie. You want to be a SEAL? Well, they have to obtain a clearance, you get caught lying there, you are done, and trust me, they will find out.

Thats the first thing that popped into my head the second he told me to lie...

... Thats the first thing that popped into my head the second he told me to lie...

Then you are on the right track.

Now, go find another recruiter and if the old one calls, just tell him you'd rather work with someone whose more interested in doing the right thing and not the expedient thing.

The right thing is very rarely the easiest thing.

LL

I'll be honest, this isn't the best time for you to enlist as they are alot tougher than they were two years ago. That said, if you lie and do get in and then are found out (and if you have a medical record stating you were diagnosed and medicated for this it can be found, particularly if you go for a security clearance), you will be dishonorably discharged which is the same as a felony.

Worth it?

Tell your recruiter you will not hide this, see what he says to that. Let us know.

FYI...

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/falsestatements_5.htm

I found usmilitary.about.com a very helpful resource before I enlisted. :2c:

Recruiters are cunts. Don't listen to them too much since they're generally a bunch of liars. There are exceptions though and if it doesn't right to you, get it double checked.

This applies to all recruiters, everywhere.

If a doctor signed off PDD-NOS as a misdiagnosis and gave me a nicer lable like ADHD or something like that. Would this whole thing cease to be an issue in the eyes of the military?

Back