Girls Now Allowed To Join Boy Scouts

Centermass

Ranger
Rest In Peace
Guess Girl Scouting wasn't enough.

Randall L. Stephenson and Michael Surbaugh have no frickin spine or brain,

Even GSUSA President Kathy Hopinkah Hannan opposes it.

"I formally request that your organization stay focused on serving the 90 percent of American boys not currently participating in Boy Scouts ... and not consider expanding to recruit girls"

This Country Has Officially Lost Its Mind

Isn't there are a Girl Scouts of America for stuff like this? Sometimes I think we've gotten to be pretty silly as a society. Anyway, not necessarily opposed but maybe it should simply be called Souting.

Yup. Might as well just combine both the Girl and Boy Scouts and call it Non Gender Specific Outdoorsy Stuff Club.

90 percent of American boys don't participate in Scouts at this point.

Both Scouting organizations have been struggling to slow continuing membership declines.

I would be surprised if a big part, perhaps all, of this COA weren't a business decision.

Why not? Did this with combat arms and high school football. If a girl can be a US Army Ranger, I guess she should be allowed to be a Boy Scout first....how and where does it begin and end?:ack:

Edited for bad video link

Last edited:
Hate to break it to you all, but girls have been Boy Scouts for over 40 years. My best friend was in the Sea Scouts back in Orange County. What they didn't allow was younger girls into the cubs and weblos etc.

My mom worked for the Boy Scouts for ages and I worked for them over summers throwing three fund-raisers a year just for the OC council. Believe me when I tell you this is NOT a solely PC driven decision. The BSA has a long history of yelling "private organization" when under pressure to go PC. They did not allow gay scout leaders until 2015 and then only when it is not a church organized group.

My gut tells me this is mostly money driven. They do know how to fund-raise.

Yup. Might as well just combine both the Girl and Boy Scouts and call it Non Gender Specific Outdoorsy Stuff Club.
Hate to break it to you all, but girls have been Boy Scouts for over 40 years. My best friend was in the Sea Scouts back in Orange County. What they didn't allow was younger girls into the cubs and weblos etc.

My mom worked for the Boy Scouts for ages and I worked for them over summers throwing three fund-raisers a year just for the OC council. Believe me when I tell you this is NOT a solely PC driven decision. The BSA has a long history of yelling "private organization" when under pressure to go PC. They did not allow gay scout leaders until 2015 and then only when it is not a church organized group.

My gut tells me this is mostly money driven. They do know how to fund-raise.

But it could backfire, right? My thoughts are that some parents would rather not sign their kids up due to these changes. I am sure they lost some enrollment when they allowed gay scout leaders in. Bigotry, misogyny, or whatever label you want to put on it, some parents sign them up for BSA because it was for boys and those values have obviously changed.

Girl scouts is a joke. We want to a meeting to look into Bibby joining and it's all about selling cookies. Most of the badges had to do with it and the higher you got the more it focused on business. We'd rather she join the firefighter or police junior programs over girl scouts.

YMMV of course but here that's all it is about.

But it could backfire, right? My thoughts are that some parents would rather not sign their kids up due to these changes. I am sure they lost some enrollment when they allowed gay scout leaders in. Bigotry, misogyny, or whatever label you want to put on it, some parents sign them up for BSA because it was for boys and those values have obviously changed.
Nope. Not the way they've done it. Your son can still join an all boy pack.
ETA: Just like if you join a church sponsored pack, gay leaders may still be verboten.

ETA: Just like if you join a church sponsored pack, gay leaders may still be verboten

Ok, makes sense! just wondering if all of the changes to drive up participation are not actually having some reverse effect?

OK, OK, OK, so I gotta tell you guys how UN-PC the Boy Scouts can be.

One of the fundraisers we threw every year was the Construction Industry Awards luncheon. They would honor the huge construction and housing industry giants by honoring a company owner or board chair who gave the BSA money. So a bunch of construction folks in ties. The award they gave? }:-)}:-)}:-) The Golden Beaver. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I shit you not.

Last edited:
PRECISELY!! It has already backfired on them. Take a look at the enrollment numbers since they started allowing gay youth. The numbers have plummeted. I planned on being a Boy Scout leader for the rest of my life. Now I'm telling my Star Scout, finish Eagle and get out. He agrees. If he hasn't turned 18 by then, he can get involved with Trail Life for a little while if he wants to.

ETA: Just like if you join a church sponsored pack, gay leaders may still be verboten.
Until someone sues the church, and BSA refuses to back the church (which is what BSA has already said will happen).

Until someone sues the church, and BSA refuses to back the church (which is what BSA has already said will happen).
Could be but I gotta doubt it. I do have a more inside view of this and am a bit jaded but I don't think they would do anything that isn't going to help their bank account in the long run.

Girls have always been allowed in Venture Crew.

Girl scouts is a joke. We want to a meeting to look into Bibby joining and it's all about selling cookies. Most of the badges had to do with it and the higher you got the more it focused on business. We'd rather she join the firefighter or police junior programs over girl scouts.

YMMV of course but here that's all it is about.

Sister did girl scouts, their Gold and Silver Award projects are a bit more robust when it comes to teaching requirements to be successful in like. I'm not sure how much it's changed since I was a boy scout, but Eagle Projects tended to be thrown together really fast and easy, one was a fire pit near the Scout Barn.

Back