Gobble 🇹🇷Gobble 🦃

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
Happy (I hope) Thanksgiving to everyone this week. Certainly not going to be a traditional one.

What’s everyone doing?

Anything out of the norm?

GF and I are staying away from family and doing our own Turkey dinner with all the fixings over many glasses bottles of wine.

Well, I was planning on having a horde of 13+ hungry West Point cadets descend on my house. Because of local COVID restrictions that limit social gatherings, we were going to do dinner in two shifts so that no one had to get "voted off the island" (awkward!!). However, upon further review, our chain of command made the tough call to eliminate the Thanksgiving gatherings altogether. I understand why they made that decision and I'm not upset about, but I know many cadets (who are already stuck on campus for Turkey Day) were REALLY looking forward to at least being able to get some normalcy by having Thanksgiving dinner with their sponsors.

So, it looks like I'm cooking up a whole bunch of turkey that I bought for 13+ people, and having lots of leftovers :)

but I know many cadets (who are already stuck on campus for Turkey Day) were REALLY looking forward to at least being able to get some normalcy by having Thanksgiving dinner with their sponsors
I’m betting that has to be a disappointment for them; getting a chance to interact with their seniors in a more casual environment was probably something they were really looking forward to.

I am having Thanksgiving at my son's house this year since my home is still open rafters, joists, and concrete floors leftover from Hurricane Laura.

Other than that, I am thankful that this year is almost over and hopefully we - as a nation - can move forward in many avenues and begin fixing ourselves.

I wish everyone the very best of Thanksgivings....

I’m betting that has to be a disappointment for them; getting a chance to interact with their seniors in a more casual environment was probably something they were really looking forward to.
That's one of the many great benefits of being a cadet here. I did ROTC, and I can count on zero fingers the number of times I was invited over to a field grade's house for professional development in a casual atmosphere. For one thing, we only had one field grade in our program, and he wasn't given to doing... well, much of anything, really. Additionally, pretty much all of us hated him and wouldn't want to hang out with him any more than absolutely necessary anyway.

So much happens in these types of informal situations that is of great benefit to the subordinates. Maybe we'll get more chances next semester.

Thanks @SpongeBob*24 for sharing this video of you frying a Turkey last year!

Turkey frying fires are like Christmas trees....every year the goal is BIGGER!!!!!

:ROFLMAO: O_o

The plan this year is to eat alot of grub at our families and be thankful for what we have. This includes this amazing country so many of us have spent most of our lives serving!!!!

:thumbsup: 8-)

Well, I was planning on having a horde of 13+ hungry West Point cadets descend on my house. Because of local COVID restrictions that limit social gatherings, we were going to do dinner in two shifts so that no one had to get "voted off the island" (awkward!!). However, upon further review, our chain of command made the tough call to eliminate the Thanksgiving gatherings altogether. I understand why they made that decision and I'm not upset about, but I know many cadets (who are already stuck on campus for Turkey Day) were REALLY looking forward to at least being able to get some normalcy by having Thanksgiving dinner with their sponsors.

So, it looks like I'm cooking up a whole bunch of turkey that I bought for 13+ people, and having lots of leftovers :)
How about delivery or they stop by for carry out? Just saying

"Wait, it is Thanksgiving this week? Fuck, the DFAC's are going to be a shit show. The food's not worth it."

Many of your deployed folks on Thursday. The rest will stand in line for turkey loaf and poisoned shrimp cocktail. I'm bringing my lunch that day.

Back