Guidance on what path to take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty375

Ranger
Verified SOF
Hey all,

first and foremost thanks for reading and helping. I will try and get my question across in the quickest and most effective way possible, so I will use bullets.

-I am currently a 13F in the 82nd.
-I ETS in feb 2011
-The job I'm shooting for is Clandestine in the CIA first and foremost, or Fed Law Enforcement (FBI, DEA, ATF)*
- If I go to college after the Army, I plan on majoring in International Relations with a language.
-If I stay in the Army, I plan on going to SF selection.

With all that being said, I am unsure what would be the best route to take for the career that I would want, and how the timing should go (SF before college, SF after college). Or if SF is even necessary with my military experience. I just turned 21 so I feel like this is the crossroad that will set up my life and my career. I am seeking advice from older and wiser people, who have been there and done that, and have friends who have taken many routes. I realize the requirements for all these positions, and have looked them up, but what I'm looking for is what will put me ahead more. I appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer.

Thanks!

p.s.- fml if this isn't the right place to post something like this.

*I do realize that these are two totally different types of jobs. I also realize that you aren't supposed to advertise that you want to join the CIA.

Not my field of expertise so take what I say at face value.

Look at possibilities for going the National Guard route for SF and college after SF pipeline is complete. Probably want to talk to the guys that are in NG SF for better information on the commitment. At least if the SF route doesn't work out you will have more time to pursue the college education while serving in the National Guards vs the active Army.:2c:

Like I said, just an idea not expert advice!!!

What about Fed LE appeals to you? What do you think you will do as a Special Agent that is so appealing? Chasing down weak leads? Getting told to F-off by people who hate the POO-lice? Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork? Getting solid cases turned down by the US attorneys office?
What job in clandestine are you looking for? Case officer, Ground, etc?
Get your degree.

Anyway, ask yourself. Do you want to be a Fed? Do you want to be a spook? Do you want the Long Tab? Or do you just want a title?

Look at possibilities for going the National Guard route for SF and college after SF pipeline is complete. Probably want to talk to the guys that are in NG SF for better information on the commitment. At least if the SF route doesn't work out you will have more time to pursue the college education while serving in the National Guards vs the active Army.:2c:

You are either in or out of the military reserve/guard or not. The more specialized/small (SOF or not) the unit, the higher the optempo with the current conflict. I would either set a goal of a degree or serving, not both. Both will prolong/interfere with the other.

Thank you for the insight.

What about Fed LE appeals to you? What job in clandestine are you looking for? Case officer, Ground, etc?
Get your degree.

The investigate work, along with some of the action. I have always wanted to do it.

In clandestine, i am looking at the core collector.

Thank you for your advice.

after your olive: At the end of the day, my #1 goal is to be a Fed.
It appeals to me, because I honestly can't see myself doing anything else. I have always wanted to do it. Once I joined the military, it gave me enough time to slow down and think about what I wanted in life. It is kind of hard to explain why I suppose. I don't want it because of the title. I realize there are a lot of downsides to the job, but it seems like the job people join because they want to be there, not because they want to make tons of money.

Hey all,

first and foremost thanks for reading and helping. I will try and get my question across in the quickest and most effective way possible, so I will use bullets.

-I am currently a 13F in the 82nd.
-I ETS in feb 2011
-The job I'm shooting for is Clandestine in the CIA first and foremost, or Fed Law Enforcement (FBI, DEA, ATF)*
- If I go to college after the Army, I plan on majoring in International Relations with a language.
-If I stay in the Army, I plan on going to SF selection.

With all that being said, I am unsure what would be the best route to take for the career that I would want, and how the timing should go (SF before college, SF after college). Or if SF is even necessary with my military experience. I just turned 21 so I feel like this is the crossroad that will set up my life and my career. I am seeking advice from older and wiser people, who have been there and done that, and have friends who have taken many routes. I realize the requirements for all these positions, and have looked them up, but what I'm looking for is what will put me ahead more. I appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer.

Thanks!

p.s.- fml if this isn't the right place to post something like this.

*I do realize that these are two totally different types of jobs. I also realize that you aren't supposed to advertise that you want to join the CIA.

It seems like you will have to go to college to achieve most of your goals. Go to college.

No matter which path you choose, start your language training now.

SF is not a part time job, even for the NG SF Groups, it is a commitment that requires everything you have to become qualified, and that's just the beginning.

You have to choose your goals, you also have to choose the path or paths you will take to get there. Sometimes the best path to a goal is not what appears the most direct to reach it. Study the map and plan your route to your objective.

Figure out your objective. Figure out the path that best suits what you need to learn to get to that objective.

You are an adult, you have to figure out where you are going.

Roger that x SF Med. Thank you for the advice.

Just seems like a hard decision of SF or college first...

21 + 4 years of college, maybe 6 to be more competitive + time in SF.....the Fed cutoff is 35, right? You don't have much of a window to do all of that. Not impossible, but you aren't going to sleep much over the next 10+ years.

Get your degree(s) and put in your Fed packet. SF will still be there and if the Feds don't pick you up for some reason you can still make a run at SF.

Or drop your packet to go over the fence now and sort out the degree if you don't make it.

Good luck.

OK
I have read of enough of this BS thread. Now it is my turn,
Wanna be a Green Beret-Go to selection first, then we will talk Q course, then we can talk Green Beret!! Then you get language school, combat and experience. Take some on line college and you might get a AA degree in 4 yrs. But you we be a Green Beret, that has a language, combat/ experience!!
Wanna go to college- Take the GI Bill got to college for 4 years, take boring classes, drink beer and chase pussy! You be a college student with good party stories.
Wanna be a FED need 4 year degree- After 4 years of step 2, then it is paperwork and low reward job, because you do not have any experience. You can tell stories of all the paperwork you did to get other more experience people promoted!!
GO to selection now, or you could regret it the rest of your life.
SF/Ranger/Sniper/ MFF Green Beret speaking-

No matter which path you choose, start your language training now.

SF is not a part time job, even for the NG SF Groups, it is a commitment that requires everything you have to become qualified, and that's just the beginning.

You have to choose your goals, you also have to choose the path or paths you will take to get there. Sometimes the best path to a goal is not what appears the most direct to reach it. Study the map and plan your route to your objective.

Figure out your objective. Figure out the path that best suits what you need to learn to get to that objective.

You are an adult, you have to figure out where you are going.

I couldn't have said it better! Now days SF units are either in the Active Army or National Guard there are no Reserve SFG(A)'s anymore.

If it was me I'd choose the Federal job first and devote your time and efforts to that job(s) since you have indicated that is your first choice.

If and when you become a Federal Agent, if your still interested in SF, you can check out the NG SF Units in your area. Be warned though, that you may not have the time to devote to becoming a qualified 18x as well as the deployments that will no doubt come with serving as a qualified 18x in a NG SF unit when you are a Federal agent.

Make a choice and follow it through!:2c:

21 + 4 years of college, maybe 6 to be more competitive + time in SF.....the Fed cutoff is 35, right? You don't have much of a window to do all of that. Not impossible, but you aren't going to sleep much over the next 10+ years.

Get your degree(s) and put in your Fed packet. SF will still be there and if the Feds don't pick you up for some reason you can still make a run at SF.

Or drop your packet to go over the fence now and sort out the degree if you don't make it.

Good luck.

That is sound advice from a knowledgable individual. Take it.

No one was ever sorry that they got a degree... make that your goal and don't stray from it.

Thank You all. I can't express the appreciation I have for each of you, helping me out. The general consensus seems to be, go to college. So I guess that's the next step in my life!

Thanks again.

Thank You all. I can't express the appreciation I have for each of you, helping me out. The general consensus seems to be, go to college. So I guess that's the next step in my life!

Thanks again.

Side note:
If you do decide to go the college route, do yourself a favor and don't choose a BS major.

If the name of the degree program doesn't correspond with an actual occupation you're probably wasting your time. :2c:

Side note:
If you do decide to go the college route, do yourself a favor and don't choose a BS major.

If the name of the degree program doesn't correspond with an actual occupation you're probably wasting your time. :2c:

Roger that.

I plan on majoring in International Relations, and learning a language. Hopefully arabic.

My 2 cents...

Since you have an interest in a Federal LEO gig and also something highspeed in the military. Think about getting off Active Duty and entering the Reserves/NG as a 35M or 35L while checking off the college box. A degree in Intelligence Studies, Homeland Security,etc... would be good. If I were 21 again I would have gotten my degree in Intelligence Studies. Anyway... those are not SF long tabbed wearing jobs but can be very interesting and seem to be inline with your long term goals.
As a 35M (HUMINT Collector) you would get some very good training and schools if you go to the right unit and are an NCO. Some of the schools that would be available to you are in high demand by not only Federal LEAs but DoD Intelligence agencies that you might want to consider. I am not a 35M but I have several close friends who are and they did went on to dive and jump school and they have some very interesting work.
As a 35L (Counterintelligence Special Agent) you would be an accredited Federal Agent and among your responsibilities would be to investigate Treason, Sabotage, Sedition, Espionage and other National Security Crimes within CI jurisdiction. The experience would be invaluable for someone looking at being a FLEO. There are high speed opportunities available in and out of the DoD. There are 35L at the SF groups and there are 35L who work around the country assigned to the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force.
A CI/HUMINT background makes you attractive to the Feds. I have had a few offers. Customs, ICE,etc...
Just something to chew on. Good luck!

any 18 series MOS; how many college credits does that translate too later on?

depends on the MOS and the school. I got 40-something. But I'm not an 18B, which would probably get six or so.

If you want in, PM me. 13F is a good transition MOS to 18 series...unless you're a douche. You're not a douche are you? We have a no douche policy. (X before you get all crazy on the keyboard, I came in like you, pre-douchebag policy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back