Hate for ACU?

Helomedic:

If you are fed up with the MP's (you cant spell wimp without MP) you can always put in your packet for SFAS... Dont bitch about it, do something about it.

Crip

Absolutely. However, I'll leave that shit to the ones better suited for it, for the time being. I'm still in the conditioning phase. in the mean time, I applied for Flight Medic. We'll see how that pans out, it's where I've wanted to be since I got in. not sure if I'll be allowed to, though - I just got handed SRP paperwork today. :(

I will see if I can dig up a few of the pics since we have a few on our shared drive...

Crip

I'd like to see those too, just for laughs. thanks for the replies from someone much closer to the field than myself.

...I'm still in the conditioning phase. in the mean time, I applied for Flight Medic...

I hear the 160th is always looking for good medics as is SOS-B, CA, etc... All the previous are SOCM slots.

Just more ideas if you are wanting to get away from the "regular" Army. Though, dont be fooled into thinking its all fun and games where we are. We have our fair share of stupidity, our BS meters are just calibrated a bit differently. ;)

Crip

ACU vs. BDU in woodland environment

I would be interested to see the pics.

Here's one of my Pathfinder small group before our jump into the last training exercise. This was a couple of years ago, before ACUs were widespread. I'm the one in the ACUs- note the contrast of the ACUs vs. the BDUs (the guy standing to my direct right is Polish GROM, that's why his uniform and headgear are different).

Attachments

• pf nofaces.jpg
    pf nofaces.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 183
Here's one of my Pathfinder small group before our jump into the last training exercise. This was a couple of years ago, before ACUs were widespread. I'm the one in the ACUs- note the contrast of the ACUs vs. the BDUs (the guy standing to my direct right is Polish GROM, that's why his uniform and headgear are different).

Thanks Mara.

That is a great pic to show the difference.
How could anyone look at this and say ACU is a viable cam for ALL terrain? :uhh:

I miss summer weight BDU's... (We still wear these when "working" away from the flag pole)

ACU's are made of crappy-ass-weak material that rip easier than a doughnuts bag in the hands of a fat man and stand out in a woodline like Paris Hilton at a spelling-bee...

Pin on is a gay way of getting everyone that has actually earned something on their uniform other than a name tape and US Army tape to stop wearing their quals voluntarily... It's professional jealousy at it's worst...

I don’t even know why we have this discussion about uniforms and who gets to wear what and yada yada yada. In Garrison this shit is fine! In the field it is another story. I grew tired of people (CSMs) telling us what we can and can’t wear! Do you know what it is like to run around Iraq in the fucking summer time all kitted up or hike up fucking cliffs in Afghanistan? No, because you are to fucking busy watching us on some platform in an air conditioned or heated room. Every time we got some new CSM whether it is Regimental or Battalion, they have changed something about the uniform policy. I know this is the Army and yada…yada…yada. Uniformity instills discipline and whatever bullshit you want to feed us. If any asshole needs discipline then he shouldn’t fucking be here! We are grown ass men! Yes, I know there are the bad apples but of you let the TLs and SLs beat the fucker and I bet you things would change; we are a softer/gentler Army. I don’t know how many emails and Blue Book Standard changes have been sent out about the wear of the uniform. I could give two fucks less about the uniform, All I care about is that you can perform your job/duties to best of your ability. If this means you are fucking running around in your underwear, so be it.

I hated when asked by civilians about the new “improved” uniforms, I wanted to punch them. Then we get Joe that thinks these are the “coolest” uniforms. I wanted to drop kick him! You can go through all these post and pick out everything wrong that has been said with the uniform no need for me to abuse it anymore.

The biggest thing I think our leaders worried about was how we were being perceived by the rest of the Army. Who cares IMO. “Rangers running wild, no discipline, long hair, wearing whatever they want”. Yes, some fucking cheese dicks had the balls to make comments. We are here to do a job and not look pretty for you. New CSM made this policy that we had to have our sleeves down until we got to the “drop off point” then we could roll our sleeves up and unblouse our pants and before we got back in the vehicles we had to get back into Army standards, WTF! Supposedly we set bad examples for the rest of the military. “Those guys are doing it, why can’t I”. Another heated topic was boots in Regiment. We have had numerous changes in what you can and can’t wear. Why can’t we just wear what works for us? This micromanaging bullshit blows.

Something new would always come up when the CSM saw us in the field, you can’t wear it that way or why are you wearing that. Who gives a fuck! He got mad when he saw a squad doing some dry run drills without the ACU top just the shirt. The whole squad had their ACU tops off, uniformity? A while back a video was shown at Ranger Ball, with a squad working some drills at the range with out their DCU tops but in full kit. There was some talk between high ranking personnel about what we where wearing that day. The old CSM had our back, this is why I hate Regiment looking outside for new leaders. They don’t know how we roll.

All this cross talk about Velcro is annoying. SOF had Velcro on their sleeves for some time now. Way before the rest of the Army followed suit. We had a purpose for it.

I am not running around some fucking shit filled country looking to win hearts and minds with the way I wear my uniform, I am here to do a job. That is what SF is for, they also train them so we can be presented with a challenge when we kill them. Joking guys, I LOVE you!:) That brings me to something else, SOCOM has not properly used SF in Iraq. SF is a powerful asset when used properly. I can’t argue because it made my days more exciting.

The wear of the uniform in Garrison with the ACU has brought problems. I saw tons of people including in my own unit look like total ass. Bellville’s are fucking dirty, they are wearing there top that was in the field yesterday, just popped on the stupid badges and patches. I kept two pairs of fresh clean ACU’s for only garrison and a pair of newer Bellville’s that have not seen the field. I was happy that I did not have to shine boots or starch my BDUs anymore but they looked sharp. You could also tell who was fucked up. You walk around post or outside post and some of these people’s uniforms are fucked up. Beret looks like a pizza hat, ACUs look like they got pulled out of their duffle bag. Where is the Pride?

Marines have the better setup of uniforms, no silly badges to deal with and it looks geared toward combat not looks!

Rant over... I would continue and maybe give a thesis and conclusion and work on some of the formatting but I have to finish writing my English paper before it gets any later.

Now that I look back at what I wrote what the fuck was I talking about??? Oh well.

Uniform's and uniformity as a rule is designed as a tool to INSTILL discipline in Soldiers. Disciplined Soldiers (READ: "Warriors") don't need it to RETAIN discipline to be a good Soldier, that's what they are by instinct and that why they do what they do. They are there to BE a professional Soldier first and not just use the military as an ends to a means for the financial and educational benefits. Yes, they still take advantage of said benefits, as they should but, they could have done far less in the Army and received the same benefits. They have chosen the more challenging, difficult and rewarding path of the true professional Soldier.

The BCT/OSUT/AIT environment and units that have no prerequisite of a "higher standard" for membership need this tool to instill and dually maintain discipline, no question.

Units that foster a "perform or leave" type of discipline do not need this rudimentary form of discipline.

The Army needs to quit looking at all Soldiers as being equal because quite frankly they're simply not.

There are unit's that by their very nature have better Soldiers than others. It's just a fact, sorry, someone has to be better, no different than even though you're in the major leagues of baseball... You may be a Tampa Bay Devil Ray and not a Yankee (one example...)

The powers-to-be just need to accept it (Get over it) and move on and treat people accordingly. When considering the training and the dedication a Soldier must have to rate the title and belong to a unit of Special Forces, The Ranger Regiment and even LRS, SOAR, the 82nd ABN (No particular order...) and so forth, they just foster a Soldier that is more disciplined, thus superior, than that of a Soldier somewhere in the rear echelon of the NBIG GREEN ARMY.

Look at the facts cumulatively such as average GT scores, PT scores, military education, lack of UCMJ actions and etc and etc...

When a Soldier says "Why can't I dress like that guy" the answer should be "Because you don't need to and he does, It's not a fucking fashion show! What a Soldier should wares should be whatever is most befitting the accomplishment of his (or her) job... PERIOD. A basic issue uniform can cover most of this especially in a day-to-day garrison environment for most Soldiers. In a field environment (Training or combat) that is an entirely different scenario. If a "regular Soldier" sees a "snake eater type" training or somewhere down range and says "Why can't I wear a pair of Merrells, a ball cap,plate hangers and un blouse my boots?" the answer should be "Why don't you go and try and do that guys job for a month... Hell, go on one road march, one exercise, one mission with the likes of him and his peers and then answer your own question?"

It's not just a matter of WANT (It is on some levels but, so what, some have earned a little freedom of as to how they dress), it's a matter of NEED.

The Army has to fill all kinds of jobs from the most rear echelon, non-deployable support jobs all the way to a professional warrior specialized in the art of guerilla warfare. I just don't see how you can treat these two extremely different types of soldiers the exact same, they're to large a dichotomy, a total contrast.

The only reason it's been done for so long is that the professional warrior is DISIPLINED and does what he's told, (for the most part ;)) no matter how ridicules it seams that he "look" just like the rest of the Army despite his tactical needs to which brings my long winded diatribe here full circle and back to my original point. Some Soldiers don't need such elementary things to maintain their disciplined and professional posture and some flatly do...

(This also adds to why so many were so upset when they GAVE AWAY the black beret of the 75th RR to the rest of the regular Army.)

An elite Soldier gets no extra pay (Recruiter pro-pay is more than freaking jump-pay!) so they do not strive for success in tangible way I/E $$$$$$$. (An E-6 on an SF team makes as much as an E-6 anywhere else in the big green Army...) The "Professional Soldier" may get their own personal reward for DOING MORE from intangibles such as being able to simply wear the elite mark of destination of a simple uniform difference. It may be a different colored headgear, a badge, a tab, a pair of jump boots or simply being able to grow a beard when down range and wear a sleeveless T-shirt. It's basic human nature that no one is uninfluenced by. (If you say "not me" you're full of shit... ;)) It seems like a small price to pay to have these types amongst our military, I think that if someone out there in the big green "regular" Army's one goal in life is to dress like an SF Soldier... THEN FUCKING GO SF!

I'll be shutting up now...

RANT OFF.

I once heard a General say SOF can wear whatever they wanted because of the success stories that come out every night. Of course there is limits but one can not tell a shooter how to wear his gear. if it works for him then that all that matters.

I once heard a General say SOF can wear whatever they wanted because of the success stories that come out every night. Of course there is limits but one can not tell a shooter how to wear his gear. if it works for him then that all that matters.

Depends - it's personality driven, by the commander at the time. When the 82nd first took overall command of ground forces in A-stan ('02?), I started getting hate mail form my SOF brethren ('cause I'm an old school 82nd guy) - "your command team" (I was in Monterey at the time, not Fayetteville) just doesn't get it, Chris!...." Rant, rant, rant........ :p

I, of course, agreed with the guys doing the job, not the headquarters drones. :doh: but the boyz were giving me no quarter :eek:

Anyone that dictates dress at the detriment of the fighting man should be courts martialed and be publicly disgraced IMO.

REMF CSM's complaining about uniforms and haircuts serve the same basic purpose as MP's in theater. They serve as an indicator to the SF soldier that hostilities in that vicinity have been suppressed to a sufficient level so as to allow follow-on feather merchants to take up residence, that his task in that AO is complete and it is time to move further out into the bundu in search of more bad-guys.

from talking to a friend of mine you can't beat Crye Precision Multi-Cam. http://www.cryeprecision.com Same uniform used in Transformers. Amazing Hollywood has better shit th an we do. Of course you can't order any of it because they are always out of stock. Most definitely beats ACU's.

REMF CSM's complaining about uniforms and haircuts serve the same basic purpose as MP's in theater. They serve as an indicator to the SF soldier that hostilities in that vicinity have been suppressed to a sufficient level so as to allow follow-on feather merchants to take up residence, that his task in that AO is complete and it is time to move further out into the bundu in search of more bad-guys.

Holy shit that was funny:D:D:D:p

Personally I like the ACU. The velcro is really annoying :doh: but other than that their good. I've never had to look at it from the combat perspective however.

Truest fucking statement ever!

Personally I like the ACU. The velcro is really annoying :doh: but other than that their good. I've never had to look at it from the combat perspective however.

And what do you think the ultimate purpose of the uniform is?

Combat maybe???

I don't dig all the exposed velcro. They don't blend in real well, and I don't think they last as long as BDUs/DCUs.

Back