Head of US marine force in Darwin stood down for drink-driving on nightclub strip

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should absolutely be held to a higher standard, the problem is that they never are. There ain't nobody making that Col go clean the fucking motor pool while he waits for his discharge... He is probably riding a desk somewhere, where he fucks off at noon for golf with his buddies, saying, well I guess I'll retire and start my contracting "advisory" career a little early.

It’s sad to see someone make a career ending or negative career altering move. A major, whose name I will leave out of this post took a contractor secretary out on a romantic drive and park. Unfortunately on this drive they did not notice the white engineering tape surrounding the mined area that they had accidentally entered. The major lost his leg and the secretary ended up with shrapnel in her face. From what I gather this particular major was tabbed and a combat vet. When I discovered this I was only 19 years old at the time and I remember thinking what a waste this was. It’s too bad that this officer couldn’t exercise responsibility of hiring an Uber, or private limousine driver, something. A very simple solution. Many people were counting on him and he let himself and them down. Very unfortunate

Last edited:
They should absolutely be held to a higher standard, the problem is that they never are. There ain't nobody making that Col go clean the fucking motor pool while he waits for his discharge... He is probably riding a desk somewhere, where he fucks off at noon for golf with his buddies, saying, well I guess I'll retire and start my contracting "advisory" career a little early.
In the age of Zero tolerance I saw a SFC get three DUIs in a three year period before they booted him. Removed from a RECCE PLT, assigned to BDE Staff on an easy gig...second DUI, re-assigned to something easier on the BDE staff, and then got a third one when they finally forcefully separated him. They were going to let him retire.

In the age of Zero tolerance I saw a SFC get three DUIs in a three year period before they booted him. Removed from a RECCE PLT, assigned to BDE Staff on an easy gig...second DUI, re-assigned to something easier on the BDE staff, and then got a third one when they finally forcefully separated him. They were going to let him retire.

I've never seen that, normally it was an auto boot for SrNCO.
How many Senior enlisted are allowed to retire in lieu of?
He essentially got an Art 15, which we both know is a career killer.
He has 20 plus, so he's retiring.

I wasn't saying he shouldn't get to retire. Just that dude ain't out in the motor pool being treated like the biggest POS to wear a uniform.

I've never seen that, normally it was an auto boot for SrNCO.

I wasn't saying he shouldn't get to retire. Just that dude ain't out in the motor pool being treated like the biggest POS to wear a uniform.

I have never seen anyone get booted for a DUI. Denied reenlistment or promotion? Sure. I’ve known a number of terminal SSgts bide their time to 20.

No one is sending the commanding officer, or a SNCO, out to clean the motor pool and other extra duty punishments. A friend of mine is a MSgt with a DUI in grade. No one NJPed him (Article 15) or sent him to “clean the motor pool”. He received a career ending adverse fitness report and that’s it. It’s the military. Rank has its privileges.

Uhh... no, rank does not has its privilege, Good character and position give's you extra privilege. Plus money and education and usually that the one that gets people like this off Scott free.

Uhh... no, rank does not has its privilege, Good character and position give's you extra privilege. Plus money and education and usually that the one that gets people like this off Scott free.
@Lake Shore: 354

You are 16 and have no experienced opinion on this topic. Stay in your lane and do not respond in this thread again please.

Well alcohol and me had a long relationship. Regardless you are responsible for your actions. To remain accountable I quit. But thats me. Some hot summer days the urge for an ice cold IPA is tempting🍻🤔Cheers

I think everyone should be accountable to the same standard but you shouldn’t punish a career servicemember or senior leader the same way you punish someone on their first enlistment.

I guess my overall issue, is I've seen alot of guys burn for dui and pissing hot. I'm not saying either are acceptable, however, I find it a bit of hypocrisy that they will grind a jr service member, possibly chapter them out. Mean while Sr Service members will get to skate on some of that "grind". I respect the rank and length of service, but fucking up is fucking up. I don't think a DUI should be a career killer for any rank, but it become pretty hard to justify burning a Joe, and letting a sr skate by, especially when that sr has probably grinded a Jr for the same thing.

I've seen tons of dui officers, NCO's and enlisted. I fucked up myself, I got a second chance (yes I went from a lead instructor to a motor pool bitch for 3 months, lost a stripe), and I was never going to be eligible for E7. I'm not sure I agree on that, but that's the way it was, and I had nobody to blame but myself. However, If thats the way its going to be, then it should be that way for Sr Service members. Bust them back down, punish them and that's not just being allowed to retire, etc. In a nutshell, a standard should be a standard, and nobody should get a pass.

My $.02

I guess my overall issue, is I've seen alot of guys burn for dui and pissing hot. I'm not saying either are acceptable, however, I find it a bit of hypocrisy that they will grind a jr service member, possibly chapter them out. Mean while Sr Service members will get to skate on some of that "grind". I respect the rank and length of service, but fucking up is fucking up. I don't think a DUI should be a career killer for any rank, but it become pretty hard to justify burning a Joe, and letting a sr skate by, especially when that sr has probably grinded a Jr for the same thing.

I've seen tons of dui officers, NCO's and enlisted. I fucked up myself, I got a second chance (yes I went from a lead instructor to a motor pool bitch for 3 months, lost a stripe), and I was never going to be eligible for E7. I'm not sure I agree on that, but that's the way it was, and I had nobody to blame but myself. However, If thats the way its going to be, then it should be that way for Sr Service members. Bust them back down, punish them and that's not just being allowed to retire, etc. In a nutshell, a standard should be a standard, and nobody should get a pass.

My $.02

Same here. The Man took pity on my and my Article 15 wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

My $.02
I can only speak to my experience and service but a DUI will kill almost any Marine’s career regardless of rank. I wrote an article on a Marine who narrrowly avoided separation over his two DUIs: Wasting the Warrior Culture: The Story of Frank • The Havok Journal

I can only speak to my experience and service but a DUI will kill almost any Marine’s career regardless of rank. I wrote an article on a Marine who narrrowly avoided separation over his two DUIs: Wasting the Warrior Culture: The Story of Frank • The Havok Journal

Excellent read, so true. It seems like the days of the saying ‘You’re not a Marine till you get office hours’ is long gone...not that office hours really compare to Articles, but you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Excellent read, so true. It seems like the days of the saying ‘You’re not a Marine till you get office hours’ is long gone...not that office hours really compare to Articles, but you know what I meangetttijg .
I wrote that article when he was getting forced out for service limitations as a terminal sergeant. He’s now a SSgt and recon platoon sergeant.

I wrote that article when he was getting forced out for service limitations as a terminal sergeant. He’s now a SSgt and recon platoon sergeant.[/QUOTE

Story just got a whole bunch better. Good for him, he's right where he belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back