Headed off

Ball N' Chain

Infantry
Verified Military
Afternoon guys,
I am in the shuttle right now heading off to Fort Benning as an Infantry recruit. I have a few months at OSUT, but if y'all would like, I'll definitely update you on my status when I can! I look forward to this journey, and can't wait to choose from the endless options that lie in front of me, from SFAS to Ranger School.
Thanks for all the advice given to me, whether directly or indirectly, can't wait to finish up OSUT and officially be apart of the brotherhood.

Afternoon guys,
I am in the shuttle right now heading off to Fort Benning as an Infantry recruit. I have a few months at OSUT, but if y'all would like, I'll definitely update you on my status when I can! I look forward to this journey, and can't wait to choose from the endless options that lie in front of me, from SFAS to Ranger School.
Thanks for all the advice given to me, whether directly or indirectly, can't wait to finish up OSUT and officially be apart of the brotherhood.

Eat it up, man. Go balls to the wall and come back when you are a badass motherfucker. :D8-)

If you are still reading this and haven't turned your phone in yet, (you do turn your phone in don't you?!?), I'm going to share a tip with you...

One way to show your level of motivation is to respond with "SEMPER FI DRILL SERGEANT" when asked a question!!! :-"

If you are still reading this and haven't turned your phone in yet, (you do turn your phone in don't you?!?), I'm going to share a tip with you...

One way to show your level of motivation is to respond with "SEMPER FI DRILL SERGEANT" when asked a question!!! :-"

I laughed out loud. I remember basic in 93. We had a prior service Ranger, out for 10 years, tabbed / former scroll guy, came back in an E4, one D.S. took special love to him, another prior that was ADA and a former Marine out 10ish years, coming back in for Ranger. The drills found out about the prior service, they all were acting squad leaders, the ADA guy was a fucking toad, the Ranger and Marine were shit hot. Then, them Marine was called to call a cadence and that Marine type cadence came out. The D.S.'s hit the roof laughing and yelling at him, started smoking us for laughing.

M.

Update:

Graduated the Basic portion of OSUT on Friday, now I am on a pass for the weekend as we head into the Infantry specific training starting Tuesday for the next 7 weeks. So far we have focused on setting a solid military foundation to build upon with basic classes in DNC, Combat lifesaver stuff, rank structure and all the other basic things like that. We finished up the Basic portion with three and a half weeks of rifle marksmanship. I was one of three guys in my 188 person company to shoot 40/40 on the marksmanship qualifications, so I will be getting a badge and a ribbon for that. The next seven weeks consist of...
Next week, we will be getting familiar with firing the M249 SAW, the M240 Bravo, which I was assigned, fuck its heavy, the MK-19, and the .50 cal machine gun. So I am chomping at the bit for this upcoming week. We also have a combatives day, pugils, and grenade throws.
The week after we will do Buddy Team Tactics, buddy live fire drills, stress shoots, reacting to fire above our head, which they call nick @ night, and an 8 mile ruck with kit.
Following week will be Squad Team Tactics, clearing houses, riding in bradleys and a stryker, and some other cool things like combatives within clearing houses, using our rifle as a non lethal weapon and such, as well as a short field training type thing over night. To finish that week we will do a 12 mile ruck in kit.
That will conclude blue phase and we will move to prepping for our Field training exercise, we will have a few days of prep, then we will spend 5 days, 4 nights in the field over the Fourth of July, doing what I am assuming is a simulated version of living in a combat zone. They haven't been super specific about what it is, all I know is we will be moving a lot, trenching into our location once we get there, and setting up tactical points to respond properly to combat. My platoon has come to agreement we are going to do a 3 point system with crew serve weapons at every point, but that could change. We get blanks to fire off in massive numbers with basically a precise laser gun system and vest to simulate deaths and what not.
We will finish off our FTX with a 9 1/2 mile bayonet march which will consist of moving random objects over that distance using team work, like milk crates filled with grenades, water jugs, litters with equipment, so on and so on.

After the FTX, we are basically done. We will have a cross rifle ceremony, which I am hearing our drills are all about doing the blood rifle ceremony, as well as a final 5 mile formation run. The remainder of the 2 weeks consist of recovery, cleaning our TA-50, and getting ready for turning blue and graduation.

That is my update for now, didn't talk much about what we did the first two months because it was pretty boring actually. Looking forward to learning what I came here to learn now!!
I did receive my orders as well..... I am headed to the 25 Infantry Division, Tropic lightning, over in Oahu, Hawaii. I have been told two things; I am super lucky, and I am super unlucky. Luck because Hawaii, unlucky because the Jungle training is treacherous. Anyone have advice, experience, or whatever else to say about it? I will be bringing my wife with me, I know she is stoked.

The 240B is indeed heavy, along with extra ammo, tripod, and AG crap.

Find a chiropractor in Wahiawā as you get settled at Schofield. There's usually one off base offering dirt cheap treatment - avoid them.

Oh the Nasty Nick, good times.

9.5 mile bayonet? That shit was 25 miles when I went through back 2002.

Please tell me y'all still do the stairway to heaven?

Good work, keep after it. And protect your damn knees and ankles. When you get into IMT and team/squad tactics, you will see dudes getting fucked up (the broke dick line will fill up quick). Wear knee pads, keep your boots laced tight, and use proper technique. They are going to ride your ass about 3-5 second rushes "I'm up he sees me I'm down". But dude, focus on proper technique and be sure not to fuck your knees up.

Oh the Nasty Nick, good times.

9.5 mile bayonet? That shit was 25 miles when I went through back 2002.

Please tell me y'all still do the stairway to heaven?

Good work, keep after it. And protect your damn knees and ankles. When you get into IMT and team/squad tactics, you will see dudes getting fucked up (the broke dick line will fill up quick). Wear knee pads, keep your boots laced tight, and use proper technique. They are going to ride your ass about 3-5 second rushes "I'm up he sees me I'm down". But dude, focus on proper technique and be sure not to fuck your knees up.

Yeah times have changed with the marches.. the drills remind us often that our generation is soft, and they are right! At the tail end of our 7 mile ruck last week, we did the last half mile up a 45 degree incline, and literally 8 people fell out. They will be recycled if they fall out again, which they likely will. And yes, from what I here, the stairway to heaven is live and well in the bayonet! I have no clue what it is but I am just going to assume it's a long flight of stairs!
In regard to team tactics, I got lucky as hell. We have our squads, and teams. My team consist of me, which I have lots of hand to hand combative experience, so i hope to hold my own, Kevin, who is a blue to green transfer from the navy, medically dropped from buds 6 months in, followed by jas who is an 18x guy who did a 6 month program with the 19th special forces group to earn his national guard contract, and Sam, who is military schooled with an option 40. I am technically the weakest link, which is a pretty good weakest link haha.
I take it all one day at a time and as you said about knees, I try not to get hurt. They have little patience here and will recycle you if you miss training, we have 8 recycles in my platoon alone, over 20 in the company.
And just outta curiosity, when you came through OSUT, were you Delta? My company is "Diamondbacks" so I'm just wondering if that's coincidence or not.

@Diamondback 2/2 was EIB 25 miles? From what I always understood the final stages of 11B OSUT were to mimic EIB standards. 12 mile ruck, 5 mile run, and many of the stakes...

@Diamondback 2/2 was EIB 25 miles? From what I always understood the final stages of 11B OSUT were to mimic EIB standards. 12 mile ruck, 5 mile run, and many of the stakes...

No EIB is 12 miles under 3 hours, full kit. At least it was, I have no idea anymore. I know I tested for my EIB a couple of months out of OSUT and badged.

The Bayonet (in 2002) was 25 miles with 5 missions, kind a 1 day event, that was the last day of the FTX. I think they rotated the missions, but we did a downed pilot recovery, assaulted a cliff, platoon level ambush, resupply mission and a raid on a mock village. So basically you would go however many miles to your next mission, with whatever special equipment, stage, conduct the mission, ruck back up and beat feet to your next mission staging area. Our senior drill said all in all we did 33 mile when you added the missions. Anyway, as you walk back into Sand Hill proper, they take you into this little camp where they have a bonfire going, you than got your cross rifles pinned into your chest and a canteen cup of some kind of fruit drink. Yell out the creed, listen to the drills say welcome to the brother hood. Than you march back to your barracks and start cleaning gear and doctoring feet. Like 2-3 days recovery after that before you do turning blue ceremony. Back then, you always knew when a company was about to graduate, because everyone was in soft shoes for like two days letting their feet heal up, allow the swelling to go down.

Stairway to heaven was 12 miles straight incline. It's a ball buster even for seasoned dudes.

We did a 15 miles somewhere in between the stairway to heaven and the bayonet.

As far as EIB, we did all of the testing lanes to EIB standards, but no day/night land nav (we did a day time group type deal). Our 12 miler was the stairway to heaven and although I know we were pushing it, I doubt it was EIB standards.

I was A 2/54 Hell's Kitchen @ Sand Hill. Diamondback2/2 was my last call sign in Iraq.

Last edited:
Back