Hello from Canukistan

Thanks for the welcome,
Alright so be able to move around with a weight on my back, I'll work on that. Any other tips other than excellent marks in my school courses to get into the program?

I don't think there are any Canadian medics on board here but from my experience, it doesn't matter the trade; train to be the best warrior you can be. Do a lot of cardio conditioning, train with weight but don't go to crazy; it takes time to be able to carry those loads. As long as you are in the best shape that you can before you join, it will be easier as you go on in your career.

Also depending on your age, have you thought of joining the Reserves while your still in school? Have you talked to CF Recruiting at all, even if it was the 1-800#?

I have thought of joining the reserves but I'm sixteen for a few months longer, and CF recruiting is a pain in the ass to connect to when they close up at roughly 5:00pm I believe?

... it takes time to be able to carry those loads. As long as you are in the best shape that you can before you join, it will be easier as you go on in your career.

I thought that the above was already stated somewhere?

Pineapple... 3 points you need to remember.
1. Any Soldier is expected to be self sufficient and have the intelligence and intestinal fortitude to be prepared at all times - nobody will hold your hand on the battlefield or be able to answer all of your questions.
2. Questions are fine - if you have exhausted ALL resources and have not found an answer. Hate to say this, but the military and veterans on this board bite hard when baited with stupid and self serving and lazy.
3. The Search button is your friend.

and a bonus piece of advice...

mouth shut, eyes open, ears open... read, research, watch, absorb... look, listen, learn... formulate questions, research answers, ask for evaluation or post the question in a thread if the researched answer does not seem complete - and never ask about Training, Tactics, Procedures or any other OPSEC violators. (You will get answers like the one in your camoflauge thread)

Mr. Pineapple is allowed to post in his Intro thread and I've explained to him why I placed that unique restriction on him. In a nutshell, he can go out and learn a little about the forum without stepping on any sensitive body parts. It is something most of his 16-18 peers never did and they suffered for it. 2 weeks should be sufficient for the lad to "get his learn on" without being pummeled. While it may look like punishment, it isn't.

Alright thanks Freefalling, right now from what I've delved into is that running, cardio and arm strength is key. Though since I plan on enlisting as a medical tech I think back strength and back support will be very important.
So I think I'll find a backpack to cram my books in (I have a lot of books) and run with it, then up the weight with weights and so on and so forth. For those wondering about the name I chose its a weird story that involves a lot of Halo Reach.

Maybe find out what pack CF uses and find a surplus one for cheap?

I've been told a strong core is important for tramping, which is essentially what the army does but without guns or people shooting at you (unless it's The Roar...) I suppose. Happy to be corrected as always.

Welcome to the site. Good luck.

Maybe find out what pack CF uses and find a surplus one for cheap?

I've been told a strong core is important for tramping, which is essentially what the army does but without guns or people shooting at you (unless it's The Roar...) I suppose. Happy to be corrected as always.

Welcome to the site. Good luck.
Sounds like a good idea, core is always important its part of the lower back support muscles are weird that way. Now, how to set out the daily workouts... I'm thinking: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday exercise days, while Sunday and Saturday are rest days which'll mean I'll have some extra time for school work.

You've doubled up on Sundays. Make more time for study than working out, remember you might be able to run a million kilometers but if you don't have the marks they won't even look at you.

You've doubled up on Sundays. Make more time for study than working out, remember you might be able to run a million kilometers but if you don't have the marks they won't even look at you.
I know luckily the two courses I need to bust my ass in is English and Chemistry since the other two are all in-class related activities and assignments.

I know luckily the two courses I need to bust my ass in is English and Chemistry since the other two are all in-class related activities and assignments.

Yeah but you'll still need to know the subject matter for those in class things. Don't forget to make time to have a bit of fun too. Hang with your mates, do some fun stuff, have relations with willing young ladies.

Note 1: For fuck's sake wear a rubber.

Note 2: For fuck's sake don't get arrested.

Note 3: Don't use my kind of language LOL.

So I think I'll find a backpack to cram my books in (I have a lot of books) and run with it, then up the weight with weights and so on and so forth.

Don't start running with weight. You're asking for an injury and wrecked joints. Work on walking as fast as you can without running. And for fuck's sake, start out light and fairly short. Don't be one of these dudes that does his first ruck with 70# and goes for 18 miles and then is wondering why is knees, ankles, hips, and back don't really work all that well for the next week.

Yeah but you'll still need to know the subject matter for those in class things. Don't forget to make time to have a bit of fun too. Hang with your mates, do some fun stuff, have relations with willing young ladies.

Note 1: For fuck's sake wear a rubber.

Note 2: For fuck's sake don't get arrested.

Note 3: Don't use my kind of language LOL.
Sadly I don't have that many mates, and most of the laddies I know... oh man it'd be annoying to talk about.

Here's something else to think about.

Being in good physical condition is important. It's not only relevant to military service but also your general health.

That said, don't forget your academics. Good medics know WHY something is happening and WHY they are doing something (beyond 'the protocol says to do it'). It is unlikely you will get much depth in a basic medic course, at least if the CF POI is similar to the one used in the US. Equally important, good medics know when they are out of their depth and seek advice from those more qualified.

Steer your studies towards chemistry, biology, anatomy and math. To the extent that you can do this, you and your patients will benefit.

Back