Hello my name is Zac I’m 22 and in the DEP for Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZBarbour97

Unverified
I’m currently in a placeholder rate as the Chief called it as MMS(Machinist Mate Submarine). However my goal is to pass the Dive PT quals to sign a Diver contract. My reason for coming to shadow spear is largely to gain advice on training regiments to be able to do so.
At 12yrs old I was fortunate enough to have parents who took me to the Keys to get my open water dive certification and ever since then diving has been something I’ve absolutely enjoyed. I haven’t done it in a couple years but the passion and memories are still there. I’m fairly comfortable in the water I’d rather be under the surface than on the surface. Though my endurance in swimming is not the greatest. I can do roughly 75m swim without getting winded and needing to take a break at my baseline. I recently became a member at a gym with a 25m long pool in order to train. I’m not so much worried about pushups and sit ups more so my run time and swim time My 1.5 mile run sits at around 15:30 and I haven’t been able to swim a full 500m to even get a baseline time. But I have 6 weeks to meet the qualifications and I am going to do so. Knocking 5:30 off my run time in 6 weeks is absolutely doable so my main concerns and training focus will be on swimming the 500m in 10min to get auto qualification scores. With the right mind set anything can be achieved and I’ve wanted nothing more in my life than to be a Navy Diver.
Thank you for having me and I look forward to learning all that I can here.

Why do you only have 6 weeks?

I post a lot about swimming. You will need to swim as well as us, so try and look through my posts.

Why do you only have 6 weeks?

I post a lot about swimming. You will need to swim as well as us, so try and look through my posts.
That’s how long I have till I ship out. I took my oath of enlistment Friday.

• Wow
Reactions: Arf
Okay just to make sure I understand, You took an arbitrary rate of MMS while in DEP in order to take the Special Programs Challenge in hopes to qualify for Diver and get a Diver contract.
I understand this.

You only have 6 weeks to get this contract?

Please renegotiate. I’m speaking in your best interest, you do not have enough time. The diver program not only has a heavy attrition rate, but i doubt you will be up to Par to get a contract at all in 6 weeks by what you are saying. Please be proactive and push that ship out date AS FAR AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.

I promise you I’m saving you from some serious depression.

I’m currently in a placeholder rate as the Chief called it as MMS(Machinist Mate Submarine). However my goal is to pass the Dive PT quals to sign a Diver contract. My reason for coming to shadow spear is largely to gain advice on training regiments to be able to do so.
At 12yrs old I was fortunate enough to have parents who took me to the Keys to get my open water dive certification and ever since then diving has been something I’ve absolutely enjoyed. I haven’t done it in a couple years but the passion and memories are still there. I’m fairly comfortable in the water I’d rather be under the surface than on the surface. Though my endurance in swimming is not the greatest. I can do roughly 75m swim without getting winded and needing to take a break at my baseline. I recently became a member at a gym with a 25m long pool in order to train. I’m not so much worried about pushups and sit ups more so my run time and swim time My 1.5 mile run sits at around 15:30 and I haven’t been able to swim a full 500m to even get a baseline time. But I have 6 weeks to meet the qualifications and I am going to do so. Knocking 5:30 off my run time in 6 weeks is absolutely doable so my main concerns and training focus will be on swimming the 500m in 10min to get auto qualification scores. With the right mind set anything can be achieved and I’ve wanted nothing more in my life than to be a Navy Diver.
Thank you for having me and I look forward to learning all that I can here.

Can you delay your ship date? Boot camp is not really going to afford you the time needed to cut down your numbers, and 6 weeks is not a very long time.

I don’t think it will even give him time to take pass the physical screening test to earn a Diver contract. I think he is going to be stuck with his Machinist Mate Submarine rate if he doesn’t renegotiate or back out. His recruiter screwed him hard.

You need to tell your recruiter that if he doesn’t renegotiate you are going to back out. Don’t listen to him when he says you can’t back out. This close to your ship date he will get it a lot worse than you will, don’t listen to his bluff.

Sorry Mods, I know you don’t want all of this conversation happening in an Intro post, I’m worried about this guy’s future.

Last edited:
Sorry Mods, I know you don’t want all of this conversation happening in an Intro post, I’m worried about this guy’s future.

If the OP wants to begin a new thread asking for advice on what to do in the situation, I have a feeling it will be actively participated in.
@ZBarbour97

For now, will go ahead and lock this intro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back