Higher Education: Your Experiences, Your Questions

It didn't take very long, but less than a year of commissioning, I began my MA in International Relations. I was really shocked when I learned that the Army could offer college degrees on-post that were in a real classroom setting with real professors. It was too tempting to not at least try a course or two while working.

Funny, but I wouldn't have ever made such a move without my Battery Commander suggesting I should get my MA in the Army as soon as possible. In about a month I'll really know how tough this will be with regular classes taking up my weekends...only pre-class assignments until then.

V/R,
PM

Stick with it, it's worthwhile.

And there are probably a couple of people here on the site that can help you with IR theory ;)

I'm looking to transfer for Fall 2015 and should take the ACT/SAT to get into some higher level schools. What kinds of things have you guys done to prep for them?

After months of back and forth with the VA and AMU, I finally got all the admin shit taken care of and was able to register for classes. Working on a Bachelor's in International Relations with a focus on Globalization and Human Security. Some of my credits from my previous college transferred over, so I "only" need 70 to graduate.

I'm looking to transfer for Fall 2015 and should take the ACT/SAT to get into some higher level schools. What kinds of things have you guys done to prep for them?

Go to a community college, and then transfer, then you don't need to take either test and you knock out credits.

After months of back and forth with the VA and AMU, I finally got all the admin shit taken care of and was able to register for classes. Working on a Bachelor's in International Relations with a focus on Globalization and Human Security. Some of my credits from my previous college transferred over, so I "only" need 70 to graduate.

Globalization/Security was actually my focus on my BA in IR.

It didn't take very long, but less than a year of commissioning, I began my MA in International Relations. I was really shocked when I learned that the Army could offer college degrees on-post that were in a real classroom setting with real professors. It was too tempting to not at least try a course or two while working.

Funny, but I wouldn't have ever made such a move without my Battery Commander suggesting I should get my MA in the Army as soon as possible. In about a month I'll really know how tough this will be with regular classes taking up my weekends...only pre-class assignments until then.

V/R,
PM

Webster?

Why are people in such a hurry to get through, what should be, some of the best times of their lives?

Because it is what is jammed down kids throats these days. Hell, when I was taking English 101 after ETSing there were HS kids in my class. Gots to cram in all the core classes early so you can knock out that BS in three years, rack up a ton of debt, and start into the workforce! Yay!

V/R,
PM
Stick with it. Education is going to become an increasingly valuable tool by which we are measured in service. Let me know how it goes!
Being a lifelong learner is a good way to live, especially outside of the classroom. I set up my hi-fi system last year through self-study and asking around and I loved learning about how good sound works. Well done PM!

Negative, I thought about Webster, but I took the University of Oklahoma's program instead, if only because people aren't confused about OU being legit. I was afraid I made my decision on name alone; however, the program looks really good. Webster has a lot more flexibility though and is probably more balanced. My classes total over 15 hours of class time over each weekend for two weekends per class. That is a lot of time taken away from my weekends! I know Webster is a little more forgiving in terms of their class structure.

Stick with it. Education is going to become an increasingly valuable tool by which we are measured in service. Let me know how it goes!
Being a lifelong learner is a good way to live, especially outside of the classroom. I set up my hi-fi system last year through self-study and asking around and I loved learning about how good sound works. Well done PM!
It's really surprising as to how many people don't feel this way. I finished a BA at 35 years old just because I could and occasionally kick around the idea of knocking out either a masters certificate or graduate degree as I have about a year of the post 9/11 GI bill left.

Negative, I thought about Webster, but I took the University of Oklahoma's program instead, if only because people aren't confused about OU being legit. I was afraid I made my decision on name alone; however, the program looks really good. Webster has a lot more flexibility though and is probably more balanced. My classes total over 15 hours of class time over each weekend for two weekends per class. That is a lot of time taken away from my weekends! I know Webster is a little more forgiving in terms of their class structure.

Ah. Webster had the only on-base MA in IR at Camp Lejeune, so that's what sprang to mind. OU's a good choice. The reality is, name does make a difference; why else would people go to Harvard? :sneaky:

1974 called. They want their "hi-fi" system back... :ROFLMAO:
It's really surprising as to how many people don't feel this way. I finished a BA at 35 years old just because I could and occasionally kick around the idea of knocking out either a masters certificate or graduate degree as I have about a year of the post 9/11 GI bill left.
I finished my BA in History at 41 using just TA and I just got my 100% eligibile, 36-month letter from the VA. I am about ready to follow Viper 1's lead, only history instead of diplomacy. Nice that I've got someone to cheat off. :-"

RANT: I WOULD PASS MY VA ON TO MY CHILDREN, BUT I RETIRED 6 MONTHS TOO EARLY!!!!!! :wall: :wall:

RANT: I WOULD PASS MY VA ON TO MY CHILDREN, BUT I RETIRED 6 MONTHS TOO EARLY!!!!!! :wall: :wall:

Yeah, I can't transfer mine either since I'm not a retiree! Since that last years worth of education is gonna go to wastes, well...

@RustyShackleford I think Pittsburgh Bartending School needs to rephrase their job placement statement. O_o

Our Elite Bartending School in Pittsburgh also has a local job placement assistance program that has placed alumni behind bars throughout Pittsburgh and the western Pennsylvania region.

Back