Higher Education: Your Experiences, Your Questions

Has anyone had any gone for their Law degree. That's what I am leaning towards. Also has anyone heard of anyone getting into a decent law school with a degree from an online institution?

Online Law degrees are not approved or accreddited by the American Bar Association. California is the only state that allows for unaccreddited law school graduates to sit for the Bar Exam. It's better to take the LSAT and go to a real law school than online if you want to practice law somewhere other than California.

I did not mean go to law school online. I wanted to know if law schools frowned upon online under graduate degrees or they just care about your GPA and LSAT score.

I did not mean go to law school online. I wanted to know if law schools frowned upon online under graduate degrees or they just care about your GPA and LSAT score.

Got it. From the research I did it's all about GPA and LSAT. Tier 1 law schools may frown at online education but if you have a high GPA and a 170+ on the LSAT you should be ok. Georgetown seemed to be more accepting of non-traditional students and it is a top 10 law school. Good luck in your search. I chose not to pursue a law degree after months of research by the way, but thats just me. I want the education, not the debt.

Thanks for the insight. I agree with you about the debt. I figure if I can get a scholarship and with the GI BILL I should graduate with little to no debt. It will be a while though I still have somethings that I want to accomplish in the Army to include finishing my BA.

Penn's applicant review process is free form and very holistic. The entire file is examined by a room full of decision makers and a yea/nay is decided upon.

GPA and other factors--such as the LSAT--are considered along with what might be determined intangibles.

A degree from a properly accredited online school such as AMU will not prevent admission to Penn.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...eague_schools_ranking_veteran_enrollment.html

If you can believe it, the number of undergraduate veterans at the nation’s self-proclaimed most highly selective colleges is significantly fewer than we reported in 2011. The total this year: 168*. The * is because, again, too many of these colleges, the 31 invitation-only members of the Consortium on Financing Higher Education (COFHE), don’t know. The number may bounce again.

“Disgraceful and absurd” is what I called the 232 total veterans in 2011. By comparison, the total number of veterans and dependents of veterans using the Post-9/11 GI Bill rose from 555,329 students in 2011 to 646,302 in 2012. From 232 to 174 to 168—with the nation at war and 118,784 total undergraduate seats at the 31 COFHE colleges.

This article's message is good, but the numbers are way off. For example, the article cites only two veterans at Yale; there were and are dozens of veterans at Yale.

However, all of these schools could benefit from the collective wisdom of more veterans. So all of you out there looking for schools, don't rule out the Ivy League. "I can't get admitted" yes you can. "There's nothing but a bunch of anti-military hippies at these schools" yeah I thought that too, until I went to one. "I can't afford it" two words: financial aid. "I wouldn't fit it" lol, dude have you SEEN these campuses? There's no one that "can't fit it" if they have a minimum level of social skills. "It's too hard" no really, if you work your ass off, which you should be doing in any school you attend.

All out of excuses now? Good, then check out the Warrior Scholar Project and Yale's Eli Whitney Program, and get thee to the Ivy League!

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...eague_schools_ranking_veteran_enrollment.html

This article's message is good, but the numbers are way off. For example, the article cites only two veterans at Yale; there were and are dozens of veterans at Yale.

However, all of these schools could benefit from the collective wisdom of more veterans. So all of you out there looking for schools, don't rule out the Ivy League. "I can't get admitted" yes you can. "There's nothing but a bunch of anti-military hippies at these schools" yeah I thought that too, until I went to one. "I can't afford it" two words: financial aid. "I wouldn't fit it" lol, dude have you SEEN these campuses? There's no one that "can't fit it" if they have a minimum level of social skills. "It's too hard" no really, if you work your ass off, which you should be doing in any school you attend.

All out of excuses now? Good, then check out the Warrior Scholar Project and Yale's Eli Whitney Program, and get thee to the Ivy League!

I would be very interested in the challenge. I just don't see it working with my projected schedule.

Well I made the plunge, inspired by this thread in part, to better myself before the Army required ILE. I've applied for the Norwich University Online Master of Arts in Diplomacy. The application process was quite easy and trouble-free. Post 9/11 GI Bill is picking up the entire tab. I should know if I've been accepted by the end of the next week. Start date: 03 March. Graduation date: September 2015.

http://online.norwich.edu/degree-programs/masters/master-arts-diplomacy/overview

Last edited:
Well I made the plunge, inspired by this thread in part, to better myself before the Army required ILE. I've applied for the Norwich University Online Master of Arts in Diplomacy. The application process was quite easy and trouble-free. Post 9/11 GI Bill is picking up the entire tab. I should know if I've been accepted by the end of the next week. Start date: 03 March. Graduation date: o/a July 2015.

http://online.norwich.edu/degree-programs/masters/master-arts-diplomacy/overview

My best friend did that program and he loved it.

Well I made the plunge, inspired by this thread in part, to better myself before the Army required ILE. I've applied for the Norwich University Online Master of Arts in Diplomacy. The application process was quite easy and trouble-free. Post 9/11 GI Bill is picking up the entire tab. I should know if I've been accepted by the end of the next week. Start date: 03 March. Graduation date: o/a July 2015.

That's awesome! It's great that you're starting so soon. I've applied to an MPA program at Penn, but they won't even look at any application until the application deadline passes and that's in June.

#Waitingsucks.

Congrats! And good luck!

Given that I am just a sophomore in high-school, I still want to further my education and have a plan to do so. I'm not sure if any members are familiar with the Running Start program for high-schoolers (it might have a different name depending on the state), it's where I would go to one of the community colleges, and take college classes instead of high-school classes for my Junior and Senior year. Thus it would put me on track for my High school diploma and an AA degree once I graduate high-school. Also those credits earned would transfer to any of the in-state 4-year colleges (depends on which out of state colleges). Of course I still have to test to get in (in upcoming March), so that's what I'm focused on. I was just curious if anyone on here did something similar, or what your thoughts on it are ?

Given that I am just a sophomore in high-school, I still want to further my education and have a plan to do so. I'm not sure if any members are familiar with the Running Start program for high-schoolers (it might have a different name depending on the state), it's where I would go to one of the community colleges, and take college classes instead of high-school classes for my Junior and Senior year. Thus it would put me on track for my High school diploma and an AA degree once I graduate high-school. Also those credits earned would transfer to any of the in-state 4-year colleges (depends on which out of state colleges). Of course I still have to test to get in (in upcoming March), so that's what I'm focused on. I was just curious if anyone on here did something similar, or what your thoughts on it are ?

I have not done anything similar; I'm just a dumb jarhead. But I do have some advice...

Focus on being a "kid". Enjoy high school. Adulthood will come soon enough. Sure, take honors courses and such, but don't wory about all the college stuff. Here's what you need to do to succeed in high school and prepare yourself for life.

1) Do well in school. Get the best grades you can.
2) Stay physically fit. Play sports.
3) Stay away from drugs and alcohol.
4) Don't let anyone talk you into anything.
5) Don't do stuff you KNOW is wrong.

This will put you ahead of 97% of your peers.

Lastly, get off the internet. Quit talking to a bunch of old people and go chase some girls. Play football with your friends. Hell, get in some GTA time. Go out in the woods and do stupid stuff.

I did this for my Senior year when I was in high school. It's a good way to get started on your pre-req's for college and get them out of the way. I also went to a technical college during HS for a journyman in electrician, don't do anything an electrician does now, but hey it's a good tool to have.

Why are people in such a hurry to get through, what should be, some of the best times of their lives?

It didn't take very long, but less than a year of commissioning, I began my MA in International Relations. I was really shocked when I learned that the Army could offer college degrees on-post that were in a real classroom setting with real professors. It was too tempting to not at least try a course or two while working.

Funny, but I wouldn't have ever made such a move without my Battery Commander suggesting I should get my MA in the Army as soon as possible. In about a month I'll really know how tough this will be with regular classes taking up my weekends...only pre-class assignments until then.

V/R,
PM

Back