Higher Education: Your Experiences, Your Questions

Yes

I either will attend a real B/M school to get a B.A that I am proud of or attend a B/M to get a Masters. I also need to return to a community college level to brush up on my reading, writing and math skills.

You should consider Yale's Warrior Scholar project, that's pretty much exactly what it's for.

I think.

You should ask @Deathy McDeath he actually went through the course.

@Marine0311 I talked with the guy who runs the WSP, and he said that as long as you explain in your app what your plans are in a clear manner, they will consider you. Whether that be the Bachelor or Masters program. They will, however, consider you an "unusual candidate" since you already have your degree. I think it's definitely something you ought to check out next year. They've expanded the program beyond just Yale. The plan is to open up a "branch", if you will, at UMich and Harvard next year, which will greatly expand the number of veterans who can attend.

I will say that it can be a bit intimidating going from the military to whatever-college to Yale (even if it is for just two weeks), but I think you'll find that you adjust after a little while. I think everyone has the proper academic chops for it, they just need to be pushed a little bit.

@Marine0311 I talked with the guy who runs the WSP, and he said that as long as you explain in your app what your plans are in a clear manner, they will consider you. Whether that be the Bachelor or Masters program. They will, however, consider you an "unusual candidate" since you already have your degree. I think it's definitely something you ought to check out next year. They've expanded the program beyond just Yale. The plan is to open up a "branch", if you will, at UMich and Harvard next year, which will greatly expand the number of veterans who can attend.

I will say that it can be a bit intimidating going from the military to whatever-college to Yale (even if it is for just two weeks), but I think you'll find that you adjust after a little while. I think everyone has the proper academic chops for it, they just need to be pushed a little bit.

Thank you very much for the intel!

Looking through the thread at some older posts, I'm 5 classes/ 2 semesters shy of my B.S. in Applied Computer Science.

Textbooks: Take the ISBN of the book and plug it into a search engine. You may be surprised at how many vendors carry that book. You can also find e-books for many subjects now. So far, Textbooks.com, Half.com, and even Amazon have been good sources. Shop around.

Not all e-books are created equal. Some will suck and the beauty is that you won't know it until you've purchased said book. What do I mean by "suck?" Improperly indexed so the e-book's Search feature doesn't work. That can make looking for a specific term rather painful. Overall, I'm happy with e-books, particularly here in Afghanistan.

As to online vs. brick-and-mortar classes: Just about everything in this thread is still valid. Is the school accredited? What field are you working towards? Your age and experience? Lots of factors are involved and there is no one right or wrong answer.

Looking through the thread at some older posts, I'm 5 classes/ 2 semesters shy of my B.S. in Applied Computer Science.

Textbooks: Take the ISBN of the book and plug it into a search engine. You may be surprised at how many vendors carry that book. You can also find e-books for many subjects now. So far, Textbooks.com, Half.com, and even Amazon have been good sources. Shop around.

Not all e-books are created equal. Some will suck and the beauty is that you won't know it until you've purchased said book. What do I mean by "suck?" Improperly indexed so the e-book's Search feature doesn't work. That can make looking for a specific term rather painful. Overall, I'm happy with e-books, particularly here in Afghanistan.

As to online vs. brick-and-mortar classes: Just about everything in this thread is still valid. Is the school accredited? What field are you working towards? Your age and experience? Lots of factors are involved and there is no one right or wrong answer.

Congratulations brother. With all your time in Afghanistan, you can probably get constructive credit for a PhD ;)

Congratulations brother. With all your time in Afghanistan, you can probably get constructive credit for a PhD ;)

Ha! I'm done once my degree is finished. I'm looking at some IT certs, probably testing for my CCNA in Dec., but going to the "next level" in education isn't for me.

Ha! I'm done once my degree is finished. I'm looking at some IT certs, probably testing for my CCNA in Dec., but going to the "next level" in education isn't for me.

Bleh... I have to get certs for my job... MCSA for SQL Server- 3 tests... and using the eval version of SQL Server2012 I have 180 days to get up to speed for tests 70-471,-472,-473...

Bleh... I have to get certs for my job... MCSA for SQL Server- 3 tests... and using the eval version of SQL Server2012 I have 180 days to get up to speed for tests 70-471,-472,-473...

I hate the cert racket and have fought it forever, but I have to do what's best, not what I agree with.

What other certs do you guys have/looking to get? I've been taking classes/self-studying, but foolishly haven't been taking the tests as I go along - woops. Currently looking at the basic set of CompTIA X+ tests, as well as CCNA and CEH so far.

What other certs do you guys have/looking to get? I've been taking classes/self-studying, but foolishly haven't been taking the tests as I go along - woops. Currently looking at the basic set of CompTIA X+ tests, as well as CCNA and CEH so far.

Just my Security+ and that was a DoD requirement. I'll make a run at my CCNA and then some MS certs later. I'm only doing it to make myself more marketable.

Just my Security+ and that was a DoD requirement. I'll make a run at my CCNA and then some MS certs later. I'm only doing it to make myself more marketable.

Gotcha. Yeah, certs do seem pretty well geared for that. I usually hate standardized tests, but everything I've looked at so far looks to do a pretty decent job in terms of showing "if you have this cert, you can do x".

Has anyone had any gone for their Law degree. That's what I am leaning towards. Also has anyone heard of anyone getting into a decent law school with a degree from an online institution?

Has anyone had any gone for their Law degree. That's what I am leaning towards. Also has anyone heard of anyone getting into a decent law school with a degree from an online institution?

A for profit school? I doubt it, what do you mean decent?

Schools like University of Maryland online. I know getting a good law school i.e. top 15 depends on your GPA and LSAT scores. Just wanted o know if anyone had heard of someone breaking in to top 15 with comparable GPA and LSAT score but an online undergraduate degree.

I asked my brother about the online undergraduate degree and law school. The dummy decided to get a JD/MBA after drinking his way thru undergrad.

He couldn't think of any concrete examples.

Fuck it. Ace the LSAT and apply.

Back