Higher Education: Your Experiences, Your Questions

1974 called. They want their "hi-fi" system back... :ROFLMAO:

I finished my BA in History at 41 using just TA and I just got my 100% eligibile, 36-month letter from the VA. I am about ready to follow Viper 1's lead, only history instead of diplomacy. Nice that I've got someone to cheat off. :-"

RANT: I WOULD PASS MY VA ON TO MY CHILDREN, BUT I RETIRED 6 MONTHS TOO EARLY!!!!!! :wall: :wall:

Congrats and good luck! What university are you going through?

I'm looking to transfer for Fall 2015 and should take the ACT/SAT to get into some higher level schools. What kinds of things have you guys done to prep for them?
I purchased the ACT red book from the ACT site after I registered for the test. It's supposed to be the best prep for the actual test. If you're in school right now, you can see if the library has old versions of the Princeton Review or Kaplan books. I ended up getting a score of 30, which is decent. I took the SAT about two months after taking the SAT, and didn't bother to study for it, and ended up getting a score of 2010 (which is pretty much equivalent to my ACT score).

Go to a community college, and then transfer, then you don't need to take either test and you knock out credits.
You can do this, but it's really only applicable to state schools. If @mac21 wants to get into some "higher level schools", as he put it, then either the SAT or ACT will be required.

You can do this, but it's really only applicable to state schools. If @mac21 wants to get into some "higher level schools", as he put it, then either the SAT or ACT will be required.

I'm shooting for some of the private schools in my area. If they don't work out, I'm not ashamed of going to a state school.

In high school, I got a ~3.2 GPA and a 23 on the ACT, so I certainly don't have anything going for my right now that can't be changed with some hard work.

I'm shooting for some of the private schools in my area. If they don't work out, I'm not ashamed of going to a state school.

In high school, I got a ~3.2 GPA and a 23 on the ACT, so I certainly don't have anything going for my right now that can't be changed with some hard work.
Hey man, you're already ahead of where I was. I graduated with a 2.14 GPA and 25 or 26 on the ACT, and a 1280 SAT (old scale). If you start out at a CC you'll likely find your coursework to be really, really easy.

Hey man, you're already ahead of where I was. I graduated with a 2.14 GPA and 25 or 26 on the ACT, and a 1280 SAT (old scale). If you start out at a CC you'll likely find your coursework to be really, really easy.

That's what I'm doing right now. I'm in my 3rd semester with a pretty good GPA. And yes, the coursework is fairly easy.

Hi all, I don't post much on here but this is definitely a thread I can contribute to. As a word of advice to all those pursuing a military career but aren't sure if college is for them, here's my advice-Give college one year. Im at Allegheny College which is a rigorous college, and I was by no means a scholar but I managed to get in Allegheny because of football. The first semester I absolutely hated it, the people were rude, the academics were tough but this next semester, I can't thank my parents enough for persuading me to go to college first. Between football and the academics, I manage to get a mental and physical workout in every day. It has helped me mature so much and for those looking to go spec ops, look at it as a way to mature yourself and physically prepare yourself while you're here. It is worth it to have a degree and from what I've read from other guys on here, it isn't the most convenient to pursue a degree once you get a job and get out in the real world to find out you have a million other things to worry about as well. So just give it a year guys, if for some reason you decide you really don't want to pursue a degree at the moment that's fine. Coming from someone pursuing a career in NSW or MARSOC, its understandable you want to get out and do all the cool guy stuff, trust me I was in your shoes. College though, will open so many doors for you and having prior military if you decide to leave will give you so many opportunities. Just my .02 cents, and whatever you decide, work your ass off and reach your dreams. Pajco

I have a fair amount of brick & mortar educational experience with a BS (History / Political Science) from Northwestern and a MBA from Fairfield. I'm currently working on my MA in National Security Studies at AMU, which is my first experience at distance learning. Although I was accepted at Johns Hopkins and also looked at several other schools, I chose AMU because nearly every professor I researched had "hands-on" experience in their field. For example, my professor for Special Operations was a retired MG who'd formerly headed the Army's JFK School of Irregular Warfare, and been a Deputy Comander at SOCOM. I'm five course from completion and I'm well-satisfied. The academic level is better than expected. My only disappointment is the interpersonal dynamic is much more forced than if your in a classroom, since you have to make comments on every week's assignment. Often, I feel people are regurgitating other comments just to say something.

Often, I feel people are regurgitating other comments just to say something.

That is a HUGE problem in online courses. I can think of 3 or 4 members, myself included, who've experienced this time and time again. I wrapped up my BS in Computer Science last March and the weekly discussions were the single most painful portion of the degree.

Mac21: The college selection process is a tricky thing. However, it's easier if you know what you want to study. Personally, I wouldn't base it on private/state school basis. For example, many people have a bias against state "directional" schools. Still, Southern Illinois University had a great communications school, putting loads of people into national broadcasting and journalism positions. Illinois Institute of Technology would be a great alternative if you can't afford Northwestern's McCormick School of Engineering (both have NROTC programs). Or a Jesuit college might be your choice if you want to study philosophy.

That is a HUGE problem in online courses. I can think of 3 or 4 members, myself included, who've experienced this time and time again. I wrapped up my BS in Computer Science last March and the weekly discussions were the single most painful portion of the degree.

I agree with your point.

:D

Well I made the plunge, inspired by this thread in part, to better myself before the Army required ILE. I've applied for the Norwich University Online Master of Arts in Diplomacy. The application process was quite easy and trouble-free. Post 9/11 GI Bill is picking up the entire tab. I should know if I've been accepted by the end of the next week. Start date: 03 March. Graduation date: September 2015.

http://online.norwich.edu/degree-programs/masters/master-arts-diplomacy/overview

Well folks, six more weeks of class and I'm officially done. I completed the Residency week and walked during graduation, but they'll mail me the diploma. Attached is the AAR for my Norwich University online Master's experience, with a couple redactions of course. Contact me via PM if you have questions. We've got another site member going through the MA in History program.

Bottom line: I was thoroughly impressed with the rigor, standards, and education of the Norwich program. Anyone considering an online Master's degree should look at this institution. You will get what you (or your service/employer) pay for. If you're a service member with an undergraduate degree, get advanced education sooner rather than later. Don't wait on military opportunities (Intermediate Level Education, Sergeant Majors Academy) to get your degree because, to paraphrase Robert Burns: "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" (or in millennial social speak, #lifehappens). As Nike says..."Just do it"

Thanks to all the board members here for your support and encouragement.

Attachments

• AAR_NorwichMDY_03July2015.docx
    495.2 KB · Views: 19
Anyone here ever been through Naval Post Graduate School? More specifically I am looking to attend via long distance learning. I'm contemplating trying to get in the January start date, but I have some reservations with getting a graduate degree via distance learning.

Anyone here ever been through Naval Post Graduate School? More specifically I am looking to attend via long distance learning. I'm contemplating trying to get in the January start date, but I have some reservations with getting a graduate degree via distance learning.

I'm pursuing a graduate degree from Penn State. Pick the right school and you'll have no issues. NPS is very reputable; I'm considering them for a second master's degree if I don't choose a doctorate.

Last edited:
That is really good news. I wish you luck, an MBA in one year means your spouse will be an academic widow. It will pay off for you in the long run, handsomely. Best of luck!!

Back