Hobby Therapy

AWP

SOF Support
I don't recall where I first saw a story about folks with PTSD using a hobby as therapy. I do know that when I see this related to vets it is usually hunting or fishing, which is understandable given the outdoors and/ or gun connection. I've also seen structured camping trips as kind of a group therapy as well.

Doing a bit of digging and through personal experience, I'm going to toss out some less "manly" avenues to consider such as jigsaw puzzles, gardening, cooking, scale models (airplanes, ships, dioramas, etc.), and even Legos.

Yes, Legos, those plastic bricks your kids play with and then leave on the floor to destroy your feet.

For you lurkers out there who haven't considered a "kids" hobby as an outlet, here's a rabbit hole for you:
Top LEGO MOC Designers | Rebrickable - Build with LEGO

To others mentioned before, and the obvious missing activities? Some folks skydive, scuba dive, maybe get into racing cars and motorcycles, or whatever. Don't rule out options which require focus, fine motor skills, problem solving with no consequences, and creativity.

It can help. Or so I've read online.

Heavy drinking.

Seriously, I think there are a couple things at play. One, just something that takes one's mind into a different direction in which you can direct attention and focus. Two, detailed, sequential activities that require priorities of work and using multiple steps, common occupational therapy for people with head injuries.

I don't know that I have any PTSD from the military, but I do from EMS. That's how I got into golf.

Heavy drinking.

Seriously, I think there are a couple things at play. One, just something that takes one's mind into a different direction in which you can direct attention and focus. Two, detailed, sequential activities that require priorities of work and using multiple steps, common occupational therapy for people with head injuries.

I don't know that I have any PTSD from the military, but I do from EMS. That's how I got into golf.

I don’t think I have any real PTSD from healthcare, but every once in a while something truly does get you in your feels. I went to the ICU last week to pick up a patient for surgery, who then coded and died while we(myself and another CRNA) worked it. He died because of a poor decision made by the ICU providers, but we ended up running the code because “Anesthesia’s got it”

That's the thing about medicine. Folks think, once they are in the hospital, things will be ok.

I can't count how many providers I know in EMS and ED/ICU that are complete retards.

Disconcerting to say the least. Being on QA board at work, I shake my head, alot.

Case in point? 75 male, weak, dizzy, 12 lead/work up done. Medic did that, but, 12 lead displays an obvious posterior wall MI (depression), minimal inferior elevation.

Nothing mentioned of these findings, no STEMI alert or even command contact to discuss this.

I've sent medic questions prior, she takes offense, so, fuck her, sent to QA board for review.

It's either laziness, lack of education or both. Either way, pt. had a potential/most likely, ACS event, it was delayed. I'd love to see follow up.

That's the thing about medicine. Folks think, once they are in the hospital, things will be ok.

I can't count how many providers I know in EMS and ED/ICU that are complete retards.

Disconcerting to say the least. Being on QA board at work, I shake my head, alot.

Case in point? 75 male, weak, dizzy, 12 lead/work up done. Medic did that, but, 12 lead displays an obvious posterior wall MI (depression), minimal inferior elevation.

Nothing mentioned of these findings, no STEMI alert or even command contact to discuss this.

I've sent medic questions prior, she takes offense, so, fuck her, sent to QA board for review.

It's either laziness, lack of education or both. Either way, pt. had a potential/most likely, ACS event, it was delayed. I'd love to see follow up.

I train, educate, RNs, APPs, and physicians. Every group has its bell curve.

I used to play a lot of video games (and would have dominated AWP in old-school CoD) but I found them too addicting. Like, literally addicting, as in I was neglecting important other things that should have been more important. So I quit.

I like to write, I find it more productive. I also like guns, and I know how to play a few chords on guitar.

I used to be way into Jeeps but felt like I could no longer internally justify the expense and the maintenance/adding stuff time requirement so I dopped that too and joined the Taco Gang.

I had 4 kids with a woman that I later learned had BPD all along. Left them with me for a couple years and barely saw them.

Spent all my extra energy on excercising and the kids. For me, kids kept me going.

OTOH, life would never have been that bad w/o garbage ex. Probably would gave stayed in and searched out the batlefield again, for some reason that gave me purpose.

Easiest (and least embarrassing way for you) to end it is simply concede the inevitable.

Hold up...

I'm serious here. What about a charity tournament? We use Twitch or Kick to stream, make a ladder bracket or whatever for 1v1, 2v2...whatever rules we set.

The forum agrees on a charity, we send them that money, we stream, shit talk, videos recorded...

Do this 3-4 times a year or whatever frequency we set. Send some ducats to a good cause and make a thing of it. Even if we're the only participants and we raise 20 dollars for some charity, what's the downside?

Hold up...

I'm serious here. What about a charity tournament? We use Twitch or Kick to stream, make a ladder bracket or whatever for 1v1, 2v2...whatever rules we set.

The forum agrees on a charity, we send them that money, we stream, shit talk, videos recorded...

Do this 3-4 times a year or whatever frequency we set. Send some ducats to a good cause and make a thing of it. Even if we're the only participants and we raise 20 dollars for some charity, what's the downside?
You embarrass a retired LTC?

After I retired from the Army, I went hard into SCUBA. It was addidcting and expensive and I was starting to live outside my means. My dad had a horse and I found helping take care of him theraputic. He sold it. Now I fish, shoot guns, follow off-road racing and tinker with my own 4×4. Probably still living outside my means.

Fly fishing is the way to go. Watch/listen to anything with Tom Rosenbauer to learn, and you’ll be up and running. The outdoors (especially around water) is proven to have benefits. And something about the rhythm of the casting is said to help calm the nerves.

Fly tying for when you can’t get outside is great too but a little tougher to get the hang of.

Back