Honest information about rasp

FO_98

Unverified
So I've been speaking too many people both Rangers and people who attended the course about what rasp is, how hard it might be, and the mental and physical aspects of the course.
I have yet to find definitive and trust worthy answers, and none of the previous posts have been able to answer my questions. I was wondering if anyone with heavy rasp experience could answer these to some extent?

So I've been speaking too many people both Rangers and people who attended the course about what rasp is, how hard it might be, and the mental and physical aspects of the course.
I have yet to find definitive and trust worthy answers, and none of the previous posts have been able to answer my questions. I was wondering if anyone with heavy rasp experience could answer these to some extent?

We're not fond of anyone trying to G2 a SOF course, so we'll defer to our vetted Rangers on how much info they'd like to provide.

Kind of a side note... most of these programs have been written about, it just takes a google search. Not always easy, but try different key phrases. BUD/s is probably the easiest to find information about, followed by RASP. From there it gets a bit harder but there is information. For us unverified guys, don't expect too much information from this site. No matter what rout you choose, it is SUPPOSED to suck. "The Suck" shows your character.....it's part of what the cadre are looking for. Don't think you are going to get off by being "prepared" (yes, it is in quotes for a reason).

Who doesn't ask questions about a course before they go? Everyone does it. I know that I did. There's a fine line between G-2ing something and asking reasonable questions. Is RASP difficult both physically and mentally? Of course it is, or there wouldn't be an attrition. There's actual breakdowns of what each phase focuses on in RASP posted online by the Army, which is A good place to start. A no brainer would be to make sure your PT is where it needs to be and that you can beat the ruck times. A no quit attitude is essential or there's a chance you'll end up in a unit you don't want to be. You can't go into this thinking it might be too difficult for you. You need to go in knowing you are going to crush anything they throw at you.

I have never been to RASP. Or Ranger School. They are both probably really hard. What if it is the hardest thing is that you can imagine? How would you prepare? The course is probably somewhere in between your dreams and your nightmares. Prepare for the worst and give it everything you have. A lot of guys will fail because they lose heart. Keep your eye on the prize and never give up.

Think about deep blue skies and emerald green waters, with ice cold margarita's by your side on a balmy day in the sugar sand..........

Then, without warning, along comes a gigantic tsunami, destroying everything in its wake and wipes everything out. Except those who have the will to survive and go on...kinda like that.

After reading these replies I realise I should elaborate. The reason I wanted to figure out this information is that most of the rangers I have met who currently serve in the battalion say that rasp really isn't all that hard. In fact I have heard some go so far as to say it is as physically challenging as basic. That rasp is all mental. The general consensus is that if you go to rasp and don't quit, you will leave with the scroll. Also what was mentioned to me was that ranger school was the hard one, and not rasp. If anyone here has differing things to speak on these topics I would love to hear it. Again thanks for all the responses.

Honestly, just being in decent shape and having an appropriate attitude IE Do everything instructed, as instructed, when instructed, to the absolute best of your ability (provided that ability exceeds the standards, published or not) and you can pass any selection TBH.

I wasn't super joe studly by any means. I got in better shape IN Batt than I was coming in.

Was RIP easy? No, it was an...experience, but I'd do it again. I'd love to have had RASP instead, as there's a larger instructional component to things now.

Just don't quit, help your buddies when helping is allowed and you'll be fine. Or you'll find out that mindfucks aren't for you and you'll quit. Guess what, those mindfucks are there for a reason. I had plenty of missions that turned into a "3 more clicks" type of suckfest movement because initial intel led into a follow-on down the road we could continue to walk to. It's the reality of operations in general, nevermind doing shit with Regiment.

Back