How are you preparing, and where do you need work?

Hey there, I could use a little bit of help with my run time and pullups. My last time was about 17:30 for my 2 miler. I can run quite far and my leg strength is there as I run about 3 miles a day. My last scores on my "practice" PT test with my recruiter were 100 on the pushups (71 pushups in 1:25) Although on my own I can frequently do about 75-80 in 2 minutes, 95 on situps (75 situps), and 38 with the 17:30 2 miler. I can do about 3 pullups currently, and probably 2 "real" pullups, so if anyone has any advice for increasing run speed, and maybe some tips on how to get some more pullups, that'd be appreciated.

Hey there, I could use a little bit of help with my run time and pullups. My last time was about 17:30 for my 2 miler. I can run quite far and my leg strength is there as I run about 3 miles a day. My last scores on my "practice" PT test with my recruiter were 100 on the pushups (71 pushups in 1:25) Although on my own I can frequently do about 75-80 in 2 minutes, 95 on situps (75 situps), and 38 with the 17:30 2 miler. I can do about 3 pullups currently, and probably 2 "real" pullups, so if anyone has any advice for increasing run speed, and maybe some tips on how to get some more pullups, that'd be appreciated.
I also just went to run, did a 4 mile ruck in 56 minutes with 45lbs on my back and 5lb dumb-bells in each hand to simulate holding a weapon. Also did my normal every day 3 mile jog afterwards. Do you guys recommend more weight? I tried to do a couple of sets of pushups, pullups and dips with the 45 extra lbs, I was able to do about 35 pushups, a pullup, and about 8 dips. Do you recommend me adding this to my regular routine, or will the muscular strength gain destroy my endurance to do as well as I have been doing?

I also just went to run, did a 4 mile ruck in 56 minutes with 45lbs on my back and 5lb dumb-bells in each hand to simulate holding a weapon. Also did my normal every day 3 mile jog afterwards. Do you guys recommend more weight? I tried to do a couple of sets of pushups, pullups and dips with the 45 extra lbs, I was able to do about 35 pushups, a pullup, and about 8 dips. Do you recommend me adding this to my regular routine, or will the muscular strength gain destroy my endurance to do as well as I have been doing?

You don’t need to be tacking on more weight, because you risk injuring yourself. You don’t want to end up in a holding pattern at basic (or recycled in training) for shin splints or a stress fracture. As you pointed out, you really need to work on the pull-ups. I’d recommend you start doing these more frequently. Also try doing negative pull-ups. Prop yourself in the up position and slowly (I’m talking super slow) return to a dead hang. These should help build you up to do more pull-ups, but you need to do more pull-ups.

One thing that worked for me when I was preparing was having a pull-up bar in the door way to my room. Every time I entered or exited, I did pull-ups.

That sounds like a great idea, I never figured going down would help me get better at pullups. So adding more weight onto my pushups is not beneficial? I also go PT every day at some point, so that pullup trick will be super helpful to hopefully get me better at doing pullups.

That sounds like a great idea, I never figured going down would help me get better at pullups. So adding more weight onto my pushups is not beneficial? I also go PT every day at some point, so that pullup trick will be super helpful to hopefully get me better at doing pullups.

It won’t hurt, but honestly you just need to get your number up from doing more pushups. I missed your number in the last post, but I’d recommend you work to get those numbers up by doing them more often. The best thing to increase your push-up count is just doing them more often and steadily work to do more - even if you daily goal is to do one more than yesterday.

Yeah my last PT test was maxed for the pushups in the APFT, but I can do about 75-80 in a max set of 2 minutes. I go PT and do at the very least a short run, 3 sets of pushups, situps, dips and pullups and have been for a few months. I'll let you know how the pull-up thing works when I head out later on to the gym.

I ran into a problem today, as I PT'd with my recruiting station yesterday and they do a bunch of sets (10-12 sets of low reps probably to help poolees increase reps. But I found that while doing the pushups which were down, hands off the ground, hands back down, up for 15 reps in a set. I went to go and do pushups today, but was having trouble going past 50, although I had no problem doing my normal 5, and happened to do 2 extra sets which normally I am gassed after 5x50. I don't know what's wrong, usually it's my abs, but my situps were better than ever today. My abs were not hurting today, my arms were. I have been consistently doing 7 day workouts and my recruiting station doesn't work out that hard, and I didn't PT by myself after which I usually do. Do you think that this is some kind of permanent problem, or probably just my arms being fatigued from a workout that wasn't even really "hard". I'm just kind of pissed that somehow it fucked up my rhythm and numbers, because if this is permanent it's going to take me a month to get back to where I was. Anybody ever have something like this happen to them?

I ran into a problem today, as I PT'd with my recruiting station yesterday and they do a bunch of sets (10-12 sets of low reps probably to help poolees increase reps. But I found that while doing the pushups which were down, hands off the ground, hands back down, up for 15 reps in a set. I went to go and do pushups today, but was having trouble going past 50, although I had no problem doing my normal 5, and happened to do 2 extra sets which normally I am gassed after 5x50. I don't know what's wrong, usually it's my abs, but my situps were better than ever today. My abs were not hurting today, my arms were. I have been consistently doing 7 day workouts and my recruiting station doesn't work out that hard, and I didn't PT by myself after which I usually do. Do you think that this is some kind of permanent problem, or probably just my arms being fatigued from a workout that wasn't even really "hard". I'm just kind of pissed that somehow it fucked up my rhythm and numbers, because if this is permanent it's going to take me a month to get back to where I was. Anybody ever have something like this happen to them?
EDIT: went back because it was eating at me that I couldn't do it and I left without correcting it. I was able to do about 3 sets of low 80s in pushups which I am content with for now, turns out it was muscle fatigue or some shit.

I graduated Ranger School 10 days ago. I lost 25 pounds and can definitely feel the fatigue. I've reached out to 75th and got my packet requirements. I am getting back in the gym, but still not running due to an infection in my hamstring from the waters in Florida, it should clear up in the next couple weeks.

I am focused on rebuilding my fitness foundation before I start hitting it hard. I don't want to try and jump right back in where I left off before school. I see the next month filled with a progressive program to build me back up to a decent level of fitness that enables me to turn my focus towards RASP specific events.

I am waiting to here from brigade whether or not my RSLC packet got accepted for September, if it did I am going to try and crush RSLC and Airborne since I have to wait a little bit before RASP. If not, which is likely because I don't have a year left on my contract, I will continue to train my body and mind back up to be as prepared as possible for life in Regiment.

Downloaded the Ranger Handbook, got the Creed and Standing orders down, before I move any further any key points that I should really really really focus on?

How are y'all doing in these crazy times? I've been using this time to focus on my running, and boy it is amazing how much you can improve on running when you actually run. This outbreak has revealed that I spend too much energy and time on lifting heavy weights rather than focusing on endurance work. I've got everything to work on, but my weak spot is my cardio.
My scores right now:
90 push - Goal: 100+
90 sit ups - Goal: 100+
18 pull ups - Goal: 25
2 miles: 13:04 - Goal: Sub 12
5 miles: 36:28 - Goal: Sub 35

Hope everyone is doing well!

Just finished Direct Commissioning Course, and was able to have a talk with a few people regarding the JAG positions at RR.

The most obvious weakness that I found of myself (even if it's at a "gentleman's course") is my willingness to continue pushing after a couple of days in the field. It was a first time for me sleeping on the ground (previous camping trips were in a tent) and not really having the luxury of being able to retreat to air conditioning and a hot shower after a long day out in the wilderness. My attitude and willingness to put in extra effort definitely took a nosedive after being out there, so I want to make sure that I am more mentally prepared for the next time.

Official APFT and ACFT scores are as follows:

APFT: 49 PU, 55 SU, 14:22 2MR
ACFT: 240 DL, 6.8 SPT, 42 HRP, 1:58 SDC, 8 LT, 15:20 2MR

I understand that these are low scores right now, but as I said in my introduction statement, these are standards that I'm looking to build up towards. My 5 mile run pace is around 43 minutes at the moment (will retest soon) and the max number of pullups that I've been able to do is 9, so PT wise there is still a lot that I have to do in that respect. I'm no longer within a pure training environment as of right now so I need to ensure that I keep up the necessary discipline to continue getting these numbers better.

Again, this is very much the start of a journey, but I'm well aware that the best way to procure a RASP II packet beyond making sure I make the PT standards is to learn as much about the law as I can and to become a lawyer that commanders and other soldiers are comfortable working with and who they can trust. I'm sure that as I move forward learning more about JAG specific legal topics at our "BOLC" (e.g. UCMJ, admin law, contract and fiscal law, LOAC) I'll learn a lot more about my own strong and weak points when it comes to the law.

I understand that I still have a lot of work to do, but I just want to make sure that I'm being transparent about where I am right now.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Just finished Direct Commissioning Course, and was able to have a talk with a few people regarding the JAG positions at RR.

The most obvious weakness that I found of myself (even if it's at a "gentleman's course") is my willingness to continue pushing after a couple of days in the field. It was a first time for me sleeping on the ground (previous camping trips were in a tent) and not really having the luxury of being able to retreat to air conditioning and a hot shower after a long day out in the wilderness. My attitude and willingness to put in extra effort definitely took a nosedive after being out there, so I want to make sure that I am more mentally prepared for the next time.

Official APFT and ACFT scores are as follows:

APFT: 49 PU, 55 SU, 14:22 2MR
ACFT: 240 DL, 6.8 SPT, 42 HRP, 1:58 SDC, 8 LT, 15:20 2MR

I understand that these are low scores right now, but as I said in my introduction statement, these are standards that I'm looking to build up towards. My 5 mile run pace is around 43 minutes at the moment (will retest soon) and the max number of pullups that I've been able to do is 9, so PT wise there is still a lot that I have to do in that respect. I'm no longer within a pure training environment as of right now so I need to ensure that I keep up the necessary discipline to continue getting these numbers better.

Again, this is very much the start of a journey, but I'm well aware that the best way to procure a RASP II packet beyond making sure I make the PT standards is to learn as much about the law as I can and to become a lawyer that commanders and other soldiers are comfortable working with and who they can trust. I'm sure that as I move forward learning more about JAG specific legal topics at our "BOLC" (e.g. UCMJ, admin law, contract and fiscal law, LOAC) I'll learn a lot more about my own strong and weak points when it comes to the law.

I understand that I still have a lot of work to do, but I just want to make sure that I'm being transparent about where I am right now.

I can't say anything in regards to RASP, but those PT numbers wouldn't get you into OCS. At least when I was there.

Even though you'll have a workload of academics, use free time to train.

Break between lectures? Do push-ups and sit-ups. Done for the day? Do some run work (plenty of advice here on the site).

It's a selection course which entails physical acumen.

Be great at law and be great physically.

I can't say anything in regards to RASP, but those PT numbers wouldn't get you into OCS. At least when I was there.

Of course. DCC was primarily an issue of making sure we passed, rather than excelled. You're also very correct insofar as those numbers would be terrible at OCS. We were on the north side of the barracks, and that's pretty much the only commonality we had, save for the couple days at McBride's Bridge.

I'll be working to ensure that these numbers are better next check in. Thanks for the encouragement @Kaldak

Back