How does dating a foreign national affect your clearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is a foreign national. During the time we dated and since we have been married I have held a TS. About 3 months before we got married I was up for my 5 year interview. There was a considerable increase in questions but there was no problem once they verified her information.
Someone stated that having a foreign spouse might exclude you from certain positions. I have found this to be true in the government sector, regardless of my experience or clearance level. There is definately no problem dating a foreigner with respect to a clearance.

Hope this helps.

Not sure about other disciplines but I know in the case of CounterIntelligence MOS holders it is in the reg that if you marry a foreign National you are supposed to be excluded from CI duties and reclassed. Not sure how that works in practice if maybe it is just certain countries or if there are other issues at play but the reg clearly says that you basically cannot have a foreign national spouse and work CI.

Not sure about other disciplines but I know in the case of CounterIntelligence MOS holders it is in the reg that if you marry a foreign National you are supposed to be excluded from CI duties and reclassed. Not sure how that works in practice if maybe it is just certain countries or if there are other issues at play but the reg clearly says that you basically cannot have a foreign national spouse and work CI.

In my experience, this is true. It's unfortunate for some good people but if you know that marrying a possible threat and you have your fingers in the intel cookie jar...probably your own fault if you get tossed. Once again...only a personal opinion.

I was trying to get into CI and talked to one of the retention NCO's here about it, they told me no dice since my wife is a Taiwanese national. Didnt think to ask at the time, but what about 35M?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back