How to become the best 18F I can be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sock'em_Slav

Unverified
Hey guys, 18X here,

I haven't shipped yet but I will do so once I finish grad school (December 2020). My ultimate goal is to be a FOX on an ODA. My Master's is more or less in Nat Sec and Intel so I am very passionate about intelligence and love to nerd out on regional subject matters. Assuming the Cadre determines I am Special Forces material, I feel I would be a great fit for an 18F role.

I know I have a lot ahead of me but I like to be prepared, do research, and plan ahead on my future.

My first question is this: What MOS (18-B/C/D/E) do you think would best position me to ultimately transition into an 18F role? Based on my research, my guess would be ECHO because of their greater exposure to tech. What do you guys think?

Second question: What schools do 18F hopefuls attend to best prepare them for an Intel Role? Site Exploitation, Technical Exploitation Course? Technical Surveillance Course? I'm also assuming the powers that be would like to see 18Fs who have served in the B team.

Third question: How many years of experience do operators usually have on an ODA before they are considered for the FOX role?

Thanks in advance to this awesome community. I am glad there are experienced operators out there who want to see the newcomers succeed. Peace.

Hey guys, 18X here,

I haven't shipped yet but I will do so once I finish grad school (December 2020). My ultimate goal is to be a FOX on an ODA. My Master's is more or less in Nat Sec and Intel so I am very passionate about intelligence and love to nerd out on regional subject matters. Assuming the Cadre determines I am Special Forces material, I feel I would be a great fit for an 18F role.

I know I have a lot ahead of me but I like to be prepared, do research, and plan ahead on my future.

My first question is this: What MOS (18-B/C/D/E) do you think would best position me to ultimately transition into an 18F role? Based on my research, my guess would be ECHO because of their greater exposure to tech. What do you guys think?

Second question: What schools do 18F hopefuls attend to best prepare them for an Intel Role? Site Exploitation, Technical Exploitation Course? Technical Surveillance Course? I'm also assuming the powers that be would like to see 18Fs who have served in the B team.

Third question: How many years of experience do operators usually have on an ODA before they are considered for the FOX role?

Thanks in advance to this awesome community. I am glad there are experienced operators out there who want to see the newcomers succeed. Peace.

O_o...............

I'm not a team guy, so I can't answer your second question, but I can give you an anecdotal answer to 1 and 3 from the guys I have met and asked about the MOS.

For your first answer; there doesn't seem to be any MOS that stood out. I've met guys with all other team positions (B/C/D/E) before they became a F.

As to how long; I'm in the guard, so their timelines may be different than what you see on the active side of the house. I will say every one of those guys I've talked was the senior (B/C/D/E) for a decent while before even thinking about switching.

Image-Cart-before-the-horse-clipart-1280x720.jpg

And as an Admin...

Button.png

To the OP...you have a LONG way to go before you should consider being an 18F. For now, worry about making it to a team. I'm at a loss for words and this thread is out of time.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back