How to tell the difference (CH47 & MH47)

The MH-47 has the refueling probe. That the part of the aircraft the hooter's girls are sitting on and what the pilots extend (make longer) and use to hit the hole (hose basket) with to get more gas from the tanker.
In my opinion the model or unit of CH-47 vs MH-47 makes little difference (not seriously intended comment follows), but whether USAF PJs are on board or not.

Long before the MH-47 and H-60 there was the CH-47 C & D, reference the Sugar Bears doing High Altititude Rescue Team missions with PJs on board and of course at least one PJ occassionally flying on Army Reserve CH-47, UH-1 and subsequently H-60s based at Scott AFB during the late 1980s.

In addition to their Wartime Mission, B Company soldiers also perform one of the most unique peace-time missions in the history of Army helicopter lift operations: high altitude rescue operations (HART) on Denali (Mount McKinley). At 20,320 feet, it is the highest mountain in North America. In 1971, a Sugar Bear CH-47 rescued three dangerously ill Japanese climbers from the 17,800 foot level of Denali. This marked the beginning of what is known today as the High Altitude Rescue Team (HART). The Sugar Bear HART holds the world altitude record for rescue hoist operations, at 18,200 feet. The HART has also conducted landings at 19,600 feet in support of rescue operations and has many other rescues to its credit.

To counter my not seriously intended comment here’s a historical tidbit.

During August 23-24, 1956 – A United States Army H-21C Shawnee makes the first non-stop helicopter flight across the continental United States, flying 2,610 miles (4,203 km) from San Diego, California, to Washington, D.C.

Correct me if I"m wrong, but wouldn't a special operations based varient of an aircraft also have the boron carbonic armored plates with a rubber/copper sole for damage protection and radar absorption? Aside from the rubber and nylon with copper particle based resin coating powder coated over the sheets themselves, I think it would be safe to assume that the MH-47 also bares radar wave absorbing plates and coatings like those found on the F-35, F-22, B2, and so fourth?

Looking at the pics of both aircraft side by side, it looks like the MH-47 has thicker plates as compared to the CH-47, MH-47 also looks to have a thicker powder coat with its darker tint which would make sense if it has the boron carbonic plates reinforced with the rubber/copper sole and nylon/copper/rubber powder coat.

Correct me if I"m wrong, but wouldn't a special operations based varient of an aircraft also have the boron carbonic armored plates with a rubber/copper sole for damage protection and radar absorption? Aside from the rubber and nylon with copper particle based resin coating powder coated over the sheets themselves, I think it would be safe to assume that the MH-47 also bares radar wave absorbing plates and coatings like those found on the F-35, F-22, B2, and so fourth?

Looking at the pics of both aircraft side by side, it looks like the MH-47 has thicker plates as compared to the CH-47, MH-47 also looks to have a thicker powder coat with its darker tint which would make sense if it has the boron carbonic plates reinforced with the rubber/copper sole and nylon/copper/rubber powder coat.

Whether they exist or not, I don't think we're going to discuss certain armor or stealth characteristics of our aircraft.

Back