HUMINT Scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's such a big deal, everything being discussed is the stuff of considered thought, nothing opsec and certainly nothing that hasn't been revealed in books, movies, tv shows and court cases.

Everyone here knows the limits of opsec, I say we let the thread run.

Ditto.

It's an entertaining thought experiment undoubtedly.

However, if I answer the question legitimately OPSEC would be violated.

Since this is posted in the Intelligence and Support Operations section, and has HUMINT in the title, it makes me a little uncomfortable is all.

Just my (I'd use one cent if the emoticon were available).

[FONT=arial, helvetica]A professor from a south Asian country was teaching a night class in business administration at a Maryland university. In one assignment, her students were assigned a term paper on the company where they worked. One student reported to the FBI that her paper was returned by the professor three times. On each occasion the professor asked for more details on the company. The student became concerned when the directed expansion of the assignment began to involve sensitive, possibly proprietary information[/FONT]

Great link.:2c:

Classic elicitation! I was just reading a story just like that about getting information from a Libyan air defense minster.

Citation:
Running a Ring of Spies by Jefferson Mack, page 185.

I don't think it's such a big deal, everything being discussed is the stuff of considered thought, nothing opsec and certainly nothing that hasn't been revealed in books, movies, tv shows and court cases.

Everyone here knows the limits of opsec, I say we let the thread run.

Okay fair enough. But just because some things are eluded to within the realm of Fantasy doesn't mean that one wouldn't accidently breach into the world of Fact just out of formed behavior.

I'm definatley the Rookie around these parts, and in this area especially so I'll take the expert opinions on this. The reason my response was worded the way it was is to elude to this exact thing.

It just appears to me that the scenario not only because of the "players" within, but the fact it could lead someone to "believe" that the information being presented is "fact" or "truth" could lead to this thread being linked to CNN.

I can see the headlines now. "Special Operations Spies on Americans". Simply because of the Nature of the board and it's membership the opinions herein could be construed as factual.

Then in turn there is a "possiblity" however slight some TTP's will be revealed or information could be gleamed from these posts. We have an Intel area that isn't open to the public on this board. Would that not be a better venue for such an exercise?

Just my 2 cents. Like I said; I'm the Rookie what do I know?

I should also add that in the past, especially when I was "wanting and striving" to enter this profession. On this board? I was/am the largest offender in this area because of pure ignorance on my part.

more 2 :cents

This is a hypothetical scenario at best. It is a fantasy to think that we could obtain information concerning a "secret" meeting being set-up by a news crew. CNN and others keep a pretty close hold on information and their sources. When I was working in a JOC, we watched CNN and when something happened to one our units, it would only take CNN about 30 to 60 minutes to announce it. In some cases I think they knew before we knew. Never found the source of their information. So the likelihood of getting the "drop" on them is very very remote.

Just my thoughts.........

I'd have thought one of the first things to do in an operation is to check how old your information is.

Reactions: AWP
I'm not questioning anyone on this forum...

but I highly doubt anyone in here has this type of operational leniency

Umm... 'I'm not saying you are wrong but I'm highly doubt you are right' :confused:

You know everyone on this board and what they do and have done?

How would I handle such a situation? I'd call my FBI LNO and turn everything I knew over to him and let the agency with responsibility for domestic collection (FBI) handle it.

I think the usefulness of this thread has come to an end. The original poster requested its deletion, so shortly that's what I'm going to do. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back