Hurricane Matthew

Good Christ!! I have a modestly sized backup generator, and I've never had to use it. I figured out how much food we had in the freezers and refrigerators in our home, it pretty much made the decision for me. Still, the fuel cost to run that for a week would be pretty high. I read where one family died of Carbon Monoxide inhalation from running their generator in their attached garage; they had it half right.

We have one and have used it multiple times. But I had a cable built long enough to run out to the side of my garage, to keep it outside. Previous owners had it inside with the exhaust run out a hole at the back of the garage. Didn't want to trust that setup not to leak.

The flooding is Biblical and catastrophic. Hundreds of people in dozens of agencies are still doing water rescues. I have been asked to deploy as part of a swift water rescue team. To put it in perspective; I have done that, the last time I DID do that was 2005. I have been out of the game so long I would be a danger to my teammates, much less the victims.

Last edited:
Yeah, mine is set up on a lower level covered deck. I have lines for all three levels of the house that I would need power to. It has been a good insurance investment. Since I bought the thing, we have never lost power long enough need it; go figure;-).

Kinda like bringing the umbrella so it won't rain...

How is Hope Mills making out?

Honestly, I don't know - from the news footage I saw, Fayetteville and areas south got hit hard. I'm in Moore County (and on relatively high ground) so we just had a few roads get washed out and some trees blocking roads/taking down power lines.

How is Hope Mills making out?

After seeing the aerial drone footage on the WC, these homes in Hope Mills were under water. Here's the back story:

A guy in Texas saw this footage and immediately recognized his Brother's home and his Brother hanging out the window waiting on help. He called the authorities who then, went in, rescued his Brother and his dog.

Many rivers have not yet crested and are expected to do so between now and Saturday. Dams are at their absolute holding capacity and are being carefully monitored.

Lots of people don't understand how much more destruction is expected after a Hurricane has long since passed.

Back