I want to enlist into the Military.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've always been involved in athletics and I've always loved shooting since I was a kid, and I go stir crazy very quickly. I always have to be on the move. I'm not sure about making it a career or not.

Come on over to the Marine Corps. We'll give you a gun to shoot and plenty of opportunities to put your athletic abilities to the test. Don't worry about going stir crazy, we will be sure to keep you on the move at all times, giving you the opportunity to travel to exotic places all around the world. You'll also get to go camping, go on nature walks, and even carry a gun. And, if you are lucky enough to get one of the cooler jobs, we'll even let you blow some shit up.

In all honesty though, your best bet would be to continue your education and get your degree. Nut up for the next couple of years, then decide what path you want to take. I've heard the same story countless times from guys that wished they would have finished school. There are so many more opportunities afforded to you with a degree, even in the military. And like it has been said, you can continue your education in the military, but it depends on the unit and the operational tempo.

Your local Marine Corps recruiting office is listed in the phone book. :thumbsup: :cool:

http://www.marines.com/#default

My best advice. Make a decision and finish what you started. School might suck but let this old guy clue you in on something. There will be days a lot of days in the military that will suck. Having a regular job will suck even for jobs you love. Most of those sucky days you will be wishing you were back in school with all those hot college women.

Focus and finishing what you started is a habit that takes hard work and dedication. Having the focus to finish school will serve you well in the military and in life.

Most importantly decide what you want and make a plan and finish what you started. If your decision is to give the military a shot because your sick of school your going to be very dissapointed.

Be a PJ. It's a great job.

Seriously, that's all. No life advice. If you want a great quality of life, a great job, and opportunities to work yourself into a number of post-military occupations, this is the place to do it. I'd recommend staying in school though. An E-9 with 20 years service makes as much as a 0-3 with 6 years in. Sooo, yea, get that degree.

Unless you dont care about it, and just wanna do something else. I'd imagine you'll regret it later if you dont get the degree, though.

I go stir crazy very quickly. I always have to be on the move. I'm not sure about making it a career or not.

Become a traveling salesman then, you're always on the move, you don't need an education and you don't need to commit to it.

This post tells me you need either to grow up first or choose something different to pursue.
Half your time in the Military will be sitting on your ass waiting. You will learn very quickly the saying "Hurry Up And Wait!"

I don't have any ideas of epic grandeur serving as some secret squrriel in some top secret task force.
Although I am interested in SOF,

So tell me, if you don't know shit and you dont desire to serve in some secret squirrel service why are you interested in SOF?
Sounds like it could be a little contradictory to me.

I just want to serve and fight. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Yeah, walk into the nearest Marine/Army recruiting office tomorrow and sign up as an Infantryman!

xSF is such a dick, lmao

one of these days the lost kids he gives advice to is going to kill himself ;)

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm only a year from my associates so I'm going to take as many credits as I can and bust my ass to see if I get it earlier. Then I'll join the service.
Be a PJ. It's a great job.

Seriously, that's all. No life advice. If you want a great quality of life, a great job, and opportunities to work yourself into a number of post-military occupations, this is the place to do it. I'd recommend staying in school though. An E-9 with 20 years service makes as much as a 0-3 with 6 years in. Sooo, yea, get that degree.

Unless you dont care about it, and just wanna do something else. I'd imagine you'll regret it later if you dont get the degree, though.

Amlove21, that job actually sounds like something I would like to do. Thanks for telling me about it.

So tell me, if you don't know shit and you dont desire to serve in some secret squirrel service why are you interested in SOF?
Sounds like it could be a little contradictory to me.

Pardus what I meant is that I don't want to be like all the other wannabes and say I'm going to be a l33t seal ranger snipzor, I'm interested in it but it's not my main driving force into wanting to join the Military. But thanks for the advice, it was a good kick in the butt to get me thinking.

I'm tired of college I need to escape and the military has always been something I've wanted to do as a kid.

The military isn't "an escape". It is a serious fucking commitment. As you seem unable to commit to earning a Bachelor's degree (which can generally be achieved by a mouth breathing part-tard), then I don't believe the military is the right place for you. Certainly not the Special Forces. Hell, I wouldn't even recommend an infantry MOS. We already have too many half-assing it through an enlistment because they didn't know what they wanted to be when they grew up and now they can't just quit like they've done with everything else in their lives, so a unit of meat eating warriors are stuck with the bastards in a combat zone. Maybe try ROTC first.

I have a postgraduate degree and have served in the Marine Corps. For all that I loathed college and loved the Marines, there wasn't even remotely the same caliber of hoop-jumping, bureaucracy and bullshit at the university as Uncle Sam has managed to contrive. Heed Pardus when he says you will learn the meaning of 'Hurry up and wait." Think long and hard about what you are committing to before you sign a contract. It might not be just your own life you fuck up.

This thread has run its course. Bottom line is it's entirely up to you, and half the people who commented obviously forget that they too once stood in your shoes, so take the insults with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back