I want to enlist into the Military.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free-Flow

Unverified
I'm tired of college I need to escape and the military has always been something I've wanted to do as a kid. I'm kind of confused on what service to join though, I don't have any ideas of epic grandeur serving as some secret squrriel in some top secret task force.
Although I am interested in SOF, I just want to serve and fight. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Forgive my naivety if that's how I come off..

The only advice that I can give, is do a lot of research. Find something you're passionate about and pursue it.

Decide what type of thing you want to do, then we can probably help you narrow down a branch of service and a specialty. What kinds of things are you good at, what do you enjoy? Are you looking career or short term?

Decide what type of thing you want to do, then we can probably help you narrow down a branch of service and a specialty. What kinds of things are you good at, what do you enjoy? Are you looking career or short term?
Well I've always been involved in athletics and I've always loved shooting since I was a kid, and I go stir crazy very quickly. I always have to be on the move. I'm not sure about making it a career or not.

Stay in school, get your degree, then join the Air Force.
I'm not too sure about that lol

You should finish school.
I've heard that a lot, but to be honest I feel pretty miserable in school. I feel like I could be doing something more. Something with more meaning and more gratifying.

In today’s military you need a degree to be a grunt; you might rethink the idea that walking away from an education and joining the military will benefit you in the long run. Promotions, advancement, special units all want educated people. What if you join the military and learn you hate it more than being in school? Stick with your education, suck it up and push through these hard times and it will serve you better down the road when you do join the military. Accomplish one task at a time, 25 meter target and all that good stuff…

In today’s military you need a degree to be a grunt; you might rethink the idea that walking away from an education and joining the military will benefit you in the long run. Promotions, advancement, special units all want educated people. What if you join the military and learn you hate it more than being in school? Stick with your education, suck it up and push through these hard times and it will serve you better down the road when you do join the military. Accomplish one task at a time, 25 meter target and all that good stuff…
That's a good point JAB, thanks for your insight.

Free Flow-- MAKE UP YOUR OWN F*CKING MIND. Quit whining about it and do something.
If you are in college, it's no wonder you are miserable - it appears you have no focus.
Yes, they call me wiener licker for a reason...
How am I whining? Just asking for a bit of guidance from people who've been there ;) How can you say I have no focus, do you know me? Though your post has inspired me "..Do something" I'll do just that.

Great... Another, "I-want-advice-but-I'm-only-going-to-listen-if-I-like-what-I-hear-otherwise-I'm-going-to-tell-you (the BTDT crowd) that-you're-wrong-about-the-advice-that's-steeped-in- years-of-service-based-on-first-hand-knowledge" thread.
This is like going to a recruiter and telling them everything they're saying is wrong or, as you put it, "I'm not too sure about that lol". The only difference is that doing it here is exponentially more asinine.

Great... Another, "I-want-advice-but-I'm-only-going-to-listen-if-I-like-what-I-hear-otherwise-I'm-going-to-tell-you (the BTDT crowd) that-you're-wrong-about-the-advice-that's-steeped-in- years-of-service-based-on-first-hand-knowledge" thread.
This is like going to a recruiter and telling them everything they're saying is wrong or, as you put it, "I'm not too sure about that lol". The only difference is that doing it here is exponentially more asinine.
Not it at all, I accept all of the advice given. I even accepted Sf meds advice, I'm going to stop talking about doing things and just do them. Also about my qoute, I was referencing the part about joining the Air Force.

I'm a big advocate of higher education, but it isn't for everyone. If your heart isn't in school, save a lot of time, money, and effort by moving on to something else. I recommend you call the Army, Air Force, and Marine recruiters nearest you- today- make an appointment and see what they have to offer. If you like, you can come back on the site with what they told you and provide some unbiased feedback.

Another frequently overlooked option is the Coast Guard.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Another frequently overlooked option is the Coast Guard.
Quite right Mara. And an excellent opportunity to serve for a different temperament than the fine warriors of this country.

Free-Flo, please keep in mind that the Coast Guard is not a "fighting" force. Its primary mission is protecting life and property on America's waterways. There is no rucking on a cutter and if swimming isn't your thing then the USCG may not be for you. I'm not knocking the Coast Guard at all (I'm a member of the USCG Aux and my son is enlisting), but it is primarily a force for preservation of life, property, and marine natural resources.

I've heard that a lot, but to be honest I feel pretty miserable in school. I feel like I could be doing something more. Something with more meaning and more gratifying.

Dude, I did almost the exact same thing you did, after being in a couple of years now I am kicking myself in the head (I am, it's quite a show) over not finishing my degree and/or going officer. Take it from a guy who was in a similar boat as you, there are WAY more options in life once you finish your degree.

And ya, I've heard the argument: I'm not getting any younger, but I can go to college whenever. Hell, I USED that argument lol, but no bullshit, I'd recommend finishing your degree.

It's up to you and what you want to do. Everyone has plans and they change. I joined straight out of high school and after I left the military I realized I needed that piece of paper to do what I wanted to do, so I went ahead and went to school after. You can also go to school while in the military, but if you're in a unit that deploys frequently, you might fail two courses like I did :D

I am not sure I can remember when I was 19. I think I woke up thinking about one thing and going to bed thinking about one thing and it sure wasn't the Military or School.
Asking for information and advice shows a lot more maturity than I have today let alone at 19. I will tell you the feelings I have for my Country and the Men and women I served with is not something I would trade for any thing on earth. I have been married 38 years and there are things my military friends know about me that my wife doesn't have a clue.
Quitting is not an option in combat and I have to ask what are you considering? QUITTING school?
Good Luck

Free-Flow - my first thought was along the lines of what xSF Med posted.

I wasn't going to respond here since there have been a ton of similar questions with similar answers already posted, but here it goes.

From personal experience, I wish I sucked it up and finished school. I stopped going so I could focus on a career. I soon joined up and realized I needed to finish what I started, and while I can't stand school, I finally graduate this semester. I learned that school is just like any other mission in life. If you are tasked with it, complete the mission to the best of your ability. If you need to go the same route that myself and many others have done, so be it. I ignored the advice of my family at the time. I needed the actual experience to kick myself in the ass.

School really isn't that bad, especially compared to all of the other shitty things you could be doing in life. Motivated or not, I recommend you find a way to finish it up. But again, if you are stubborn like me, feel free to find out the hard way.

You can get it done quick. Go all summer, max out your credits, and you can be done in 2 years with some effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back