I want to try out for MARSOC. Am I crazy?

For what its worth a hell of a lot of good insight for more than just the OP thank you mentors! My situation certainly isn't the same but it helps to hear "war stories".

yea, women are a dumb reason to make a decision. Nothing is going to stop them from cheating or leaving if they want to. I was POG in the marine corps and was an Avionics Calibration Technician. I was a naval academy candidate in high school that stopped my application because I "fell in love" and decided to join the marine corps, get a safe job, and try out the family life. Welp, I was young, 19, I cheated, I was an asshole and so was she. it was miserable. Did my 5, wasn't allowed to tryout for marsoc in Okinawa in 2009 so I said fuck this. Got out was successful in tech, finishing my engineering degree, worked for a whole bunch of engineering companies including 3 internships with NASA, interviewed with Amazon and Microsoft recently, talking to 2 Google recruiters and constantly get job offers in the defense area being that I graduate in may of 2019. I just turned 30 and I honestly don't know if I want to rot in a cubicle or hustle a business plan yet. You'd think I would have known what I wanted by now. Shit, every relationship ive had has gone to shit, I got fat as fuck ( 180 to now 235 and trying to get in shape), and I honestly am fucking miserable. Being out and like this with no brother hood or direction, regardless of prestigious job offers/pay, it just doesn't feel right. I did the money thing, I did the playing in metal bands thing, I did the drinking and doing cocaine thing.... its all empty. Looked for love in all the wrong places and women, and just want to escape now. I am seriously considering getting commissioned after grad, going either intel or infantry, and then trying out for recon or marsoc as soon as fucking possible. I promised myself that if I don't find a wife or love/ happiness in my high paying engineering job after grad, there wont by any second guessing, ill go back in and kick some ass. I got out WSQ swim qual (I guess its 1st class now), used to get around 250-280 pfts, and i'm slowly but surely losing weight despite my depression/anxiety. I say you have one life.... When I visited the Naval Academy back in the summer of 2006 as a junior going onto a senior in high school, they gave us a folder that had had some slogan to the effect of " do you want to look back and wish you could've done something, don't live in regret." That's stayed with me forever and it stings that I threw that away for a little 18 yr old girl. I know the cheating is bad and divorce rate is high with the young immature guys, I didn't see one successful marriage but that wasn't a special operations command, who knows. but what I do know is that you don't want to think of what could've been. I'm at a cross roads right now and I know when the time comes I wont second guess myself this time.

Out of respect for @Ooh-Rah's sticky I'm tagging this onto this thread unless the mods/admins want to put it somewhere else. I am also off contract. I spent 9 years in the Marine Corps on Active Duty and left instead of extending or re-enlisting for recruiting orders. Because of this choice I got an RE-3O. It wasn't a problem for me because I figured I would never want to get back in.... Turns out I made the wrong decision in a way. I met my wife and had two daughters so it wasn't too bad, but I kept questioning my decision to get out. Now I'm gunning to get back in. I found an Active Duty recruiter who is willing to go to bat for me, a congressman who is willing to help, and a lot of heart. I'm 34 and I may need to go back in as a fresh Sergeant but I'm committed to this. I'm also gunning for MARSOC if that's at all possible, but the recruiter said they can't put me there yet. I think I'll end up back as a 2621 SIGINT Marine (which is a good step) and hopefully get to A&S from there. Any advice from you gentlemen would be great.

EDIT: I also forgot that due to the RE-3O I will most likely need to take those recruiting orders once I get back in. Will this hurt my chances of getting into MARSOC?

Last edited:
When I search google, I see people talking about it, but it never explains what this actually is. What is this?
Re-enlistment code. In the Marine Corps an RE-3 means you are ineligible for re-enlistment for some reason, which is indicated by the letter after the number. In this case an RE-3O means the Marine refused orders and cannot reenlist without CMC approval. Yes you read that right.

Yes, hope that helps

@Polar Bear - Thanks. Know any way around this?

EDIT: My only issue is with an SDA preventing me from being eligible for MARSOC. So far the only thing I can think of is dropping my E-5 upon re-enlistment (provided I can beat those hurdles) and going to recruiting duty as a Corporal. Then maybe I'm thinking I might have a shot at fulfilling my obligation and still being eligible for MARSOC from a TIG perspective.

Last edited:
@Arf - FY20 HQMC SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT SELECTION TEAM (HSST) PART 2 > United States Marine Corps Flagship > Messages Display

7.b. Once the approved RELM with designated class assignment is returned to the unit, Marines will have no more than 15 days to accept the obligated service. Those Marines that decline to gain the obligated service necessary for their assignment to an SDA will be issued an RE-3O reenlistment code in accordance with references (c) and (d).

I refused to extend or re-enlist to gain the obligated service necessary to complete my recruiting orders.

Also here: https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Publications/MCO P1300.8R W CH 1-8.pdf

"I have been assigned reenlistment eligibility code RE-3O.Reason: I will not reenlist/extend to deploy. I have been advised thatMarines assigned this code are not eligible for promotion, reenlistment,commissioning or warrant officer programs, special education programs, orinvoluntary separation pay unless specifically authorized by the CMC (MMEA).I have been given the opportunity to submit a statement and that statement,if submitted, will be filed on the document side of my SRB. I choose to/notto submit a statement."

EDIT: I just noticed that this last RE-3O was for refusing to deploy. That was not my case. Just to avoid confusion for anyone.

Last edited:
@Arf - FY20 HQMC SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT SELECTION TEAM (HSST) PART 2 > United States Marine Corps Flagship > Messages Display

7.b. Once the approved RELM with designated class assignment is returned to the unit, Marines will have no more than 15 days to accept the obligated service. Those Marines that decline to gain the obligated service necessary for their assignment to an SDA will be issued an RE-3O reenlistment code in accordance with references (c) and (d).

I refused to extend or re-enlist to gain the obligated service necessary to complete my recruiting orders.

Also here: https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Publications/MCO P1300.8R W CH 1-8.pdf

"I have been assigned reenlistment eligibility code RE-3O.Reason: I will not reenlist/extend to deploy. I have been advised thatMarines assigned this code are not eligible for promotion, reenlistment,commissioning or warrant officer programs, special education programs, orinvoluntary separation pay unless specifically authorized by the CMC (MMEA).I have been given the opportunity to submit a statement and that statement,if submitted, will be filed on the document side of my SRB. I choose to/notto submit a statement."

EDIT: I just noticed that this last RE-3O was for refusing to deploy. That was not my case. Just to avoid confusion for anyone.
RE codes don't stop them from recalling you. I was an RE-3B as I got out a month early to start college in the fall semester. Three years later I had been involuntarily recalled.

RE codes don't stop them from recalling you. I was an RE-3B as I got out a month early to start college in the fall semester. Three years later I had been involuntarily recalled.

Were you HSST’ed? I had orders for recruiting and I denied them. I was a Staff-Select and I had to deny my promotion. It seems to me that getting out a month early isn’t too big a deal. I can see why the Corps doesn’t want me. I didn’t give back to them and so I paid the price. I would LOVE for them to recall me. Even then I’d have TIG/TIS hurdles. I’ve been off contract now for 6 years and my TS expired 2 years ago. I don’t think a recall is going to happen for me unfortunately.

Back