Income Inequality in America

Buying a lawnmower and lining up several lawns to cut, doesn't take special education. 12 year olds have been doing it for decades.

Lawnmower : $200

Dirt Bike : $2,000

Making money to buy a dirt bike and ride it illegally....priceless!

So I guess bringing this back around, is it unfair to these kids/people that there are extremely rich people in the world? If it is, should that money be redistributed?

Not unfair, no. Should it be redistributed? In many ways, it already is, via tax payments, charities, etc. I don't know of anyone with lots of money who doesn't donate generously to charities. If not due to their altruistic nature, then by their greed of taking advantage of a loophole to shelter some of their income from taxes.

Should it be required (other than those damn tax payments)? No way.

Any idiot can talk about the problems of the world, but a REAL revolutionary also has a solution and a way to implement that solution. Brand's inability to articulate anything other than what he see's wrong in the world is exhausting.

I was taught by my mentors to never bring up a problem without bringing up a workable solution. "No Gunny, killing the S-4 is not a solution..." :D

Just one problem: there are quite a few of us on here that didn't exactly hail from a background that is conducive to success. Nobody makes documentaries about poor white people, either, unless we're at NASCAR races or wearing bed linens. Except for race-specific scholarships or organizations (UNCF), the same financial aid is available to them as it is to us.

I spent my share of time in single-wides growing up. I'm doing okay for myself and my family, and I've never asked for a handout.

I spent my share of time in single-wides growing up. I'm doing okay for myself and my family, and I've never asked for a handout.

If you track NE up the mountains in Deathy's video, you'll find where I grew up. Just as depressed just as poor, just as fucked up to this day. The town where my mom grew up looks like a tiny white version of Gary, IN minus the rampant violent crime. No stores anymore, no gas stations, nothing. A handful of decent houses and a handful of shitty ones. I don't live there anymore and go back every so often. My parents moved for work when my brother and I were young. That taught me something that I will never forget, but in the same breath, that can't be the only answer.

Last edited:
So I guess bringing this back around, is it unfair to these kids/people that there are extremely rich people in the world? If it is, should that money be redistributed?

No. Isn't that what charities do for the wealthy to give back? I don't think redistribution is a good idea.

I'm young and haven't been alive that long but I thought the whole point of living in a capitalist society is the fact that people have opportunities, not sure things.

Not necessarily a capitalist society but a free society. Showing my age here: I remember in the 80s when the first communists came across an open border for the first time. They were completely overwhelmed by the freedom to make choices and the amount of choices they had. One woman went into a grocery store and just wept. Which of course led to one writing a letter to an editor about how wrong it was for the U.S. not to guarantee he could make a living here. The rebuttal piece was something I'll never forget. The gist of it was, "You are free to do whatever you want here. No one is going to force you to become a gymnast or a factory worker based on an aptitude test. No one will tell you how many children you can or cannot have. Indeed, you are even free to fail. And, you are free to get up and try again. That's what freedom is. It's taking responsibility for your own life."

$52.50 if you include the writing section. Don't know about the SAT.

Nobody was defending their actions.

How do you know that they don't work? Why are all these ridiculous assumptions being made about a big group of people based on a three-minute trailer?

Look, I'm going to bow out of this because it was a dumb strawman argument in the first place and it's becoming a very unproductive discussion. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Uh, you ever been in Baltimore when these "fellas" ride their little scooters by? Ref previous posts, READ and don't infer: nobody asked to take sides.

The clear point to my references about Baltimore inner city youths: those that chose crime SPECIFICALLY and INTENTIONALLY make that choice over:

Staying in school
Earning money to take college enterance exams (I'm certain that free tests are unavailable :rolleyes:)
Being good role models for younger generations (vice numerous quotes of fuck the police)

The SAME can be said for white collar criminals: it's a conscious choice.

Everyone wants upward mobility to earn more cash but FEW want to do the hard work that comes with it. Your Hidden America video supports my assertions.

Uh, you ever been in Baltimore when these "fellas" ride their little scooters by? Ref previous posts, READ and don't infer: nobody asked to take sides.

The clear point to my references about Baltimore inner city youths: those that chose crime SPECIFICALLY and INTENTIONALLY make that choice over:

Staying in school
Earning money to take college enterance exams (I'm certain that free tests are unavailable :rolleyes:)
Being good role models for younger generations (vice numerous quotes of fuck the police)

The SAME can be said for white collar criminals: it's a conscious choice.

Everyone wants upward mobility to earn more cash but FEW want to do the hard work that comes with it. Your Hidden America video supports my assertions.

This article came to mind....

http://eagnews.org/brutally-honest-...-about-dealing-with-troubled-inner-city-kids/

Article isn't the word I would use to describe that link. Maybe it started as one, but it most certainly ended as an editorial.
"Article" and "editorial" are used interchangeably these days in the common vernacular. I've often been asked if I read "an article in the editorial section" of whatever publication the other person is talking about. Remember your audience, dude. That's a comp 101 reminder.

"Article" and "editorial" are used interchangeably these days in the common vernacular. I've often been asked if I read "an article in the editorial section" of whatever publication the other person is talking about. Remember your audience, dude. That's a comp 101 reminder.

Well when someone tries to pass off a clearly opinion piece as if it were a factual news article I have to call BS.

FWIW, my intent was as Racing Kitty stated. I linked it up as I thought it made some interesting points. FYI, I didn't intend for the term "article" as a misnomer.

FWIW, my intent was as Racing Kitty stated. I linked it up as I thought it made some interesting points. FYI, I didn't intend for the term "article" as a misnomer.

I'm sure you didn't, but that news outlet certainly did.

Well when someone tries to pass off a clearly opinion piece as if it were a factual news article I have to call BS.

Most of those sites are opinion sites. Not a single objective article is written. Whether it's EAGNews or Mother Jones, it's opinion articles. Some are declarative, some are persuasie, many are argumentative, and none are objective. Hell, it's hard to find a truly objective article in the established print media nowadays, anyway.

Again, it's knowing the target audience when you read the material. Right wingers are going to knee jerk in the church pues and rifle ranges, and lefties are going to knee jerk in the form of protest mobs.

Your ire indicates that you expect more from modern society than it is capable of producing.

Your ire indicates that you expect more from modern society than it is capable of producing.

This!!! I do indeed. The only reason I sharpshot that is that people do not realize those are opinion, then two weeks from now I get an email from my grandpa that is filled with this garbage, he isn't internet literate but gets these chain emails that always quote things like the above as "news" or as credible sources. Pretty soon you have people saying that The president had Tom Clancy killed.

Here's a good video that PROVES once one gets on government assistance it is IMPOSSIBLE to push back and stand one's feet.

Wait a minute...no it doesn't! The video is yet another example of the resolve and intestinal fortitude required to achieve one's goals!

http://wapo.st/1bq2QlD

Back