Insurgents Getting Wasted

what's 10mm among friends? :)

Do any of the 20 or 30 mm rounds have explosive charges on impact or are they strictly kinetic killers? Seemed like some explosions going on there, not including the obvious big stuff like the 105.
I know the brad has 2 different types of ammo, HE and AP so im guessing there are other rounds avail for the 30mm but im not sure if the apache has the ability to flip a switch and change the type of ammo its firing

That A-10 round has got to be at least twice as long as the Apache's ammo

That's what SHE said....

I could not resist OD, thanks for the segway..( i know it is spelled wrong but I dont like the correct spelling) ;)

HERE is what I got from Global Security:

Part of it:
GAU-8 Avenger

The AN/GAU-8 30mm Avenger seven-barrel gatling gun, mounted only on the A-10 attack jet, is a 30mm, 7 barrel gattling gun used primarily in the air to ground role as a soft target killer and tank buster. This aircraft is used for close-air support in attacking ground threats such as armored tanks and vehicles, and also serves as a forward air control observer for sighting ground threats and directing air strikes against enemy targets. The gun, mounted in the fuselage nose of the A/OA-10 Thunderbolt, is produced by [ex General Electric] Martin Marietta Armament Systems.

According to some sources, the GAU-8 fires 1,800 rounds per minute, with the higher 4200 rd/min rate having been deleted in the 1980s. However, the A-10 can only fire in high rate, which is 3900 rounds per minute. Low rate went out with the use of the batelle gas diverting device, and although the A-10 no longer uses the batelle device, the limit on high rate only has remained, since it made no tactical sense to fire in low rate and have to spend that much more time on final to get the same number of rounds on target.

The gun fires a mix of both high explosive incendiary (HEI) and armored piercing incendiary (API) ammunition. The PGU-13/B HEI High Explosive Incendiary round employs a standard M505 fuze and explosive mixture with a body of naturally fragmenting material that is effective against lighter vehicle and material targets. The PGU-14/B API Armor Piercing Incendiary round has a lightweight body which contains a sub-calibre high density penetrator of Depleted Uranium (DU). In addition to its penetrating capability DU is a natural pyrophoric material which enhances the incendiary effects. The PGU-15/B TP Target Practice projectile simulates the exterior ballistics and provides a ballistic match to the HEI round and is used for pilot training.

Site:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/systems/gau-8.htm

Steve

That A-10 round has got to be at least twice as long as the Apache's ammo

Not quite, found this on Global Sec also:

(Apache rounds)
# 30mm x 113 M788 (TP) Target Practice
# M789 (HEDP) High Explosive Dual Purpose
# M799 (HEI) High Explosive Incendiary
# M848 DUMMY

(A-10 rounds)
30mm x 173
# MK258 APFSDS-T Hydroballistic Anti-Mine
# PGU-13/B HEI High Explosive Incendiary
# PGU-14/B API Armor Piercing Incendiary [DU]
# PGU-15/B TP Target Practice

Attachments

• m230-apache9-s.jpg
    m230-apache9-s.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1
Too bad they are not going to be making more of them, the A-10 is a great plane no doubt.

Yes it is a truely great plane, one that has been on the edge of being ditched for many years by shortsighted idiots.

At least they just dropped the coin to upgrade them to A-10C models. That will extend their service life for some time. Globalsecurity.org is staing they'll last until FY2016 with some plans keeping them until FY2028. I think the last number is a bit optimistic though.

It was cool to see them return to Bagram with ordnance missing from the mount points...then a few days later we'd get to see why when the video was posted.

At least they just dropped the coin to upgrade them to A-10C models. That will extend their service life for some time. Globalsecurity.org is staing they'll last until FY2016 with some plans keeping them until FY2028. .

Excellent news!

Rather them than me..... Its that far away their road kill before they can hear the rds..

Back