"Selfie Culture"

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
So I was scrolling through Facebook a few minutes ago and saw a post by Matt Walsh talking about the dustup country music star Miranda Lambert recently created by stopping a show to admonish some fans who were taking selfies in the front of the concert.

Now I am not a fan of "selfie culture" writ large (which I can't even offer a good definition of at the moment). And I think that you can tell a lot about someone by how many pictures of themselves that they take.

However, I kind of think that music concerts are kind of the place where one would be reasonably expected to engage in selfies. I loved Miranda Lambert in her "Kerosene" video and if I was the kind of person to go to a big concert, and if I were fortunate enough to get near enough to the stage, I would probably be exited to be there and want to take a photo of it. I've got to imagine it's kind of hard to get a group shot or even a good individual shot in a big crowd, and a selfie might be the only thing one could get. If I were a performer, I think I'd look at it as my fans being excited to be there, which would probably pump me up about it. I mean, it's not like I'm in a classroom teaching or anything. Those fans paid to be there... if they want to take some selfies--which I assume they will post on social media, which will mean free advertising for me--then hey knock yourself out.

So two things:

1) what are your opinions on "selfie culture," and do you have a definition for it? and
2) what is your opinion on the Miranda Lambert situation?

1) what are your opinions on "selfie culture," and do you have a definition for it? and
2) what is your opinion on the Miranda Lambert situation?

I don’t mind selfie’s when they are used to record a moment in time...I have no sympathy when people lose their sense of self awareness and fall off a cliff or get eaten by a bear because they forgot that this is also real life.

Re: Miranda Lambert. I think she had a momentary lapse of self-awareness and fell into “don’t you know who I am” syndrome. Any star worth his/her salt could have taken that moment and turned it into something amazing. Stop the song, do an exaggerated selfie-bomb, make a joke about putting the phones away and enjoying the show…move on the with the rest of our lives.

Today we’d be talking about how cool M Lambert was about the bit, instead of what an inflated ego she has for a dopy country music singer.

Who the fuck is Miranda Lambert? So there's that...

...And I don't care if people want to take pictures of themselves. The whole fucking culture's become self-absorbed to the point of implosion. If The Comet was coming, they'd be taking selfies of themselves with The Comet in the background even though there'd be nobody to see those pictures after impact.

Last edited:
I take back everything I said about her. If I was thirty years younger and she was thirty years older, I'd probably still be too old. But fun to think about. I'll be off-line for about 7 minutes...
Yeah, she was quite lovely when that video came out.

I'd do things to Miranda that are illegal in 17 states and Puerto Rico. She has a fucking bakery dump truck for sure.

I don't follow stuff like her event, frankly, it's the same with Jason Aldean and uproar over his new song when conservatives are mad when in reality, Aldean is a daft shill pandering, anti 2A especially after the Vegas shitshow a few years back.

Commenting now, it was fucked up on her part, no doubt, folks paid alot to see her.

I still wouldn't kick her outta bed for eating potato chips.

Aldean is a daft shill pandering, anti 2A

People inherently associate country music with conservatives. In reality there are a ton of left wing, anti trump, anti 2A "country" singers. They are professional panderers going whichever way the wind blows. Tim McGraw and Garth Brooks, here's looking @ you.

I agree with @Ooh-Rah in regards to selfies. Its great to be able to capture a moment by taking a selfie. Just don't be a douche. Also don't see why a celeb wouldn't be okay with a fan taking a pic with them in a public place.

People inherently associate country music with conservatives. In reality there are a ton of left wing, anti trump, anti 2A "country" singers. They are professional panderers going whichever way the wind blows. Tim McGraw and Garth Brooks, here's looking @ you.

I agree with @Ooh-Rah in regards to selfies. Its great to be able to capture a moment by taking a selfie. Just dont be a douche.
If I was a star and I saw an excited fan doing a selfie, I like to think I would try to get over there and do the selfie with them. "Thank you for being excited to support me."

I agree with @Ooh-Rah in regards to selfies. Its great to be able to capture a moment by taking a selfie. Just don't be a douche. Also don't see why a celeb wouldn't be okay with a fan taking a pic with them in a public place.

It's a shame, I like Tim McGraw, especially in the series, 1883, played a great part. Fuck Garth Brooks, weirdo.

I used to be one who felt the need to record any event I went to. One particular Metallica show I realized I was spending more time watching the show through my screen than actually enjoying the experience.

I’ve not done it since.

Garth Brooks is a serial killer

Country music is dogshit, but the women are smoking hot.

We associate country music with Conservatism, but that's like saying all salads have lettuce or lettuce only goes in salad.

Nashville profited handsomely from our hyper patriotism over the last 20 years (see above). How many of those "patriots" gave a shit about anything but their bottom line?

Celebrities think the world revolves around them when in fact celebrities are, generally speaking, twat waffles.

Your selfie is like a lot of other things on this planet: you do you, just don't inconvenience others for "your moment." Bitch, that's my moment too.

Back