Intermittant fasting....

I'm on One Meal A Day, so fasting more or less around 23-24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm also zero carb.

Down to 195lbs from 240lbs in about 4 months. Energy is great and health is great. Don't know how much of this is due to IF.

Either way.. I just don't like microwaved steak

That is awesome. I find when I drop carbs I lose weight super fast, I am going to see if IF will help take care of a pesky 15# I need to lose.

I did about 6 months of only IF at 18/6. Transitioned to keto on my recent deployment.. Although getting clean protein was a bit rough. And now zero carb (carnivore) since around January 1.

The results on zero carb are far greater than anything I would have imagined, and I'll say that results are pretty addictive. Plus people notice constantly.. Especially my wife who just returned from a 90day deployment.

Calories In, Calories Out...If won't do anything unless you actually eat less.

Maybe.. incredible simplification though.. I have been doing 2500-3000 calories/day, so it matters more from what the calories are than an arbitrary number representing burn rate. I eat way more than when I was eating a standard american diet.

I don't go by fake online calculators when it comes to burn rate. If you want to get pretty intense with it, get a groupon for a Dexa Scan, VO2 Max, and Resting Metabolic rate test. This was available at Bliss when I was there minus the Dexa Scan, but they did do the BodPod.

In regards to going Carnivore, Shawn Baker, has shown some interesting and cool results. What's your feed bill?

I don't go by fake online calculators when it comes to burn rate. If you want to get pretty intense with it, get a groupon for a Dexa Scan, VO2 Max, and Resting Metabolic rate test. This was available at Bliss when I was there minus the Dexa Scan, but they did do the BodPod.

In regards to going Carnivore, Shawn Baker, has shown some interesting and cool results. What's your feed bill?

I'm still trying to find efficiencies in cost. At the moment I use ButcherBox to maintain the core of my monthly feed with grass-fed ribeyes, and then supplement with additional bacon, eggs, and locally sourced steak. This comes in around $450-500/month.

Shawn Baker's approach is quite a bit different than mine because I've found that I need to be closer to the 70%fat to 30% protein of my daily intake to maintain energy levels. The only carbs I have will be about one per egg.

When I work out, I will spike insulin with BCAA's or pre-workout, and I also don't protein after to help maintain the ratio.

on a 2600 calorie average day, I will take in 208g of fat and 184g of protein.

Honestly. I ultimately give two shits on my calorie intake. I just use it as an indicator to make sure I am eating enough. When you are doing IF, you might tend to not eat as much if you don't plan out your feeding window better.

Last edited:
All I do is 14/10 five or six times a week, and add in BJJ 2-3 times a week. I'm only about 13-14% BF but that's down a few % points from several months ago. I stopped doing low carb, and just try to eat less of them. Joe Rogan had an IF podcast episode. The woman said you don't gain much after 14 hours of fasting. Anything over 12 is fine.

All I do is 14/10 five or six times a week, and add in BJJ 2-3 times a week. I'm only about 13-14% BF but that's down a few % points from several months ago. I stopped doing low carb, and just try to eat less of them. Joe Rogan had an IF podcast episode. The woman said you don't gain much after 14 hours of fasting. Anything over 12 is fine.

I thought she said that about the feeding window. Your body becomes less efficient after 12 hours. And the timer starts when you first put something in. Also something about the benefits after like 36 hours. Some sort of total reset

Longer, >36 hours fasts are also pretty good times to quit other things (Post-fast) usually. Something about having flexed a higher degree of willpower. This past week I've recently quit (or postponed) my use of caffeine and to a lesser degree nicotine (None during the day, no dipping etc).

^You just get diminishing returns after eating less than 10 hours per day. 14 hours a day fasting was the height of lean body mass in the rat study she talked about.

^You just get diminishing returns after eating less than 10 hours per day. 14 hours a day fasting was the height of lean body mass in the rat study she talked about.

What do you think about "Autophagia" that is purported to happen after your glycogen etc is used up?

"Autophagia" in it's realest sense of the word is the literal eating your own body (which, incidentally, is not classified as a mental disorder. Go figure.)

But in your case of the body 'eating' and metabolizing muscle (i.e., protein) after using glycogen is true. But if a no-(junk) carb, hi-protein diet is balanced with some veggies and a smattering of healthy carbs and fats, you can prevent a lot of muscle wasting that occurs in true starvation mode.

If you have been on lower carb and ramp up production of your enzymes that burn fat, you will burn primary fat and not protein when glycogen runs out.

Last edited:
I learned this method from rangers I deployed with once. It's the easiest most low-maintenance approach to fat loss I have ever used and it's perfect for anyone who works long hours... as long as you work out consistently. I find that it doesn't even matter what I eat in the 8hrs of the 16/8 daily method. I just eat the same thing every day and then don't have to think about it. Went from 133 to 122 in a matter of a few months and mostly fat loss. Most of the fasting time is while I'm asleep. I don't have to think about macros, blood sugar, blah blah blah. Just work out hard and don't eat for 16 hrs. Eat like a shark for the 8.

I've done IF for 3 years now. I'd recommend IF if you want any easy way to control your caloric intake. I have had good results fitness-wise with IF and haven't had any issues with putting on muscle or losing fat.

I tried intermittent fasting for a couple of months. Works well for calorie control when weight loss is the goal, but so do a number of things. I didn't observe nor do I believe many of the "health benefits" promoted by internet gurus.

I would imagine many of the people on this board, being in the military, could benefit from this method of calorie control and ultimately weight loss because you may very well not be able to eat for long periods of time.

Back