Intro

Orph3o

Unverified
Hi Shadowspear Members,

My name is Thomas, 37 years old Civilian living in Montréal Canada.
I am here to learn.

As said in my profile, I am working in the videogame industry. I have been dealing with Clancy titles for a while, and I am a strong believer that authenticity and solid background info are not a deterrent to a great entertainment piece, but can feed, sustain and deepen an experience.
I am not pretending in anyway that a videogame can come close to your real life experience. However, I am convinced that by reading you and validating elements we can make this experience a little more authentic.

I am here with the utmost respect and humility regarding the sacrifices most of you and your families have made.

I'll be discreet and hope to be a good learner, as this could only lead to better design in the end.

Orph3o.

Welcome aboard.
Did you bring enough poutine from Ma'amm Bolduc for everybody? If not, do push-ups.
PM, you're such a hoser. What you should be asking for is Laura Secord mint chocolate candy bars.

Welcome. Just don't ask what kind of gun a monkey should be shooting at Tangos while riding backward on a motorcycle and you'll be fine.

ust don't ask what kind of gun a monkey should be shooting at Tangos while riding backward on a motorcycle and you'll be fine.
Thanks for the tip! I already have this info though, it was a long story of trial error. Main tip is to tape the monkey on the bike, rest is history.

Hi Shadowspear Members,

My name is Thomas, 37 years old Civilian living in Montréal Canada.
I am here to learn.

As said in my profile, I am working in the videogame industry. I have been dealing with Clancy titles for a while, and I am a strong believer that authenticity and solid background info are not a deterrent to a great entertainment piece, but can feed, sustain and deepen an experience.
I am not pretending in anyway that a videogame can come close to your real life experience. However, I am convinced that by reading you and validating elements we can make this experience a little more authentic.

I am here with the utmost respect and humility regarding the sacrifices most of you and your families have made.

I'll be discreet and hope to be a good learner, as this could only lead to better design in the end.

Orph3o.

Welcome to the site. Your job sounds interesting and I'm sure there are many people here who can help you out. Please keep in mind that there is often a fine line between "authenticity" and "security." A guy in a unit I was in previously got booted out because of his willingness to compromise SOF operational practices in order to help a game developer "make the game more realistic."

I think a lot of people will tell you that if you want to make a game more life-like, your characters will spend four hours sitting on the airfield waiting for the intel trigger only to have the mission scrubbed, for every time they actually get to launch on a mission ;)

Welcome to the site. Your job sounds interesting and I'm sure there are many people here who can help you out. Please keep in mind that there is often a fine line between "authenticity" and "security." A guy in a unit I was in previously got booted out because of his willingness to compromise SOF operational practices in order to help a game developer "make the game more realistic."

I think a lot of people will tell you that if you want to make a game more life-like, your characters will spend four hours sitting on the airfield waiting for the intel trigger only to have the mission scrubbed, for every time they actually get to launch on a mission ;)
HiMarauder06,
I totally hear you.
I am not here to try and get detailed info and will not try to get such info. Videogames are, in the end, pieces of entertainment, and to create great entertainment, you have to "bend" reality. If the goal was to create a "specOp" simulator, I feel your description of "waiting and I would add intense training would be core. But that would be terrible entertainment.
However, being able to extrapolate and create fiction has to be rooted. Personally I am less interested in the "Craft" of specops than men and women practicing this craft.
Replicating the technics is the easy part. Logical, mechanical (training, rehearsals etc...) fits well with the videogame structure. However, strong background documentation, emotions, good stories and the human histories are where I feel the real value is.
But as said, this is personal... Most gamers are kids willing to shoot a gun and feel empowered, and no matter what this has to be delivered (this is the mission).
I am learning the technical parts, but if a game can, even briefly, manage to communicate the emotion I had reading the forum section about fallen Specops, the sadness of seeing good people gone as well as the strength of the comments posted afterward by their brethren, I think it would be the best way to pay respects and show our admiration.
But, to pay proper respect we have to be rooted in something that makes sense, that is as "authentic" as possible. From there, maybe our work of bringing entertainment and fiction can be relevant.
At least, that's what I believe.

Finally, especially today, when JSOC and WH asked to go back to silence, I am more than understanding your warning.

Best.

This is a great place, but my all time favorite is La banquise... 30 different poutines and some are simply amazing (try the poutine "Elvis").
Extremely efficient when it comes to clogging your blood vessels :)

La Banquise is a classic spot, but I'm more of a kamikaze guy. The Elvis is ok, but lacks heat.

Back