Intro

MAGTF_Marine

Verified Military
Hey Gents, here doing my dues with this intro.

Right now Im at a deviding point in my career, I have less than 10 months to my EAS, and i havent decided if i want to reenlist for MARSOC, or get out and be a LEO. I have my BS in Homeland Security, and 4 years down in the Marines in a MOS that no ones heard about, 0511 MAGTF Planner, I like it, but theres no way I could do any more. Just thought id come here for some better insight.

-Ben

Welcome.
Questions I would ask myself;
Do I enjoy being a Marine, and if I didn't make the cut would I still enjoy being a Marine?
What are my odds of getting picked up for LE work?

Thanks Gents, I appreciate the welcome.

Welcome.
Questions I would ask myself;
Do I enjoy being a Marine, and if I didn't make the cut would I still enjoy being a Marine?
What are my odds of getting picked up for LE work?

I do ask my self these everyday, I love being a Marine, and yes I do worry about not making the cut in MARSOC and being stuck with GP in the Marines, yes I love it, but its not what I want to be doing in 5 years. Ive already passed the basic screening, and even have a seat in Assesment & Selection, so I might go to that and see how I still feel after.

And as for odds as a LEO are looking good, Ive been talking to the FBI for the last 3 years, and yes there on a hiring freeze, and yes there will be a waiting list when they come off it, but with my Military Experience, BS degree, and the fact that I speak arabic very fluently in multiple dialects, I think its looking good.
Plus my neighboor is a Capt in a local County PD, and heads the IA Division and subs as the head of Recruiting, and hes already been working on getting me a spot in the Acadamy to get a couple years of LE under my belt while I wait for the FBI.

Welcome! ;)

I see you are a Clint Eastwood fan! :thumbsup:

Two words; Fuck Yes! :D

Thanks Gents, I appreciate the welcome.

Two words; Fuck Yes! :D

when a man with .45 meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistols's a dead man. Let's see if that's true...

2fistful.jpg

Give me a little more info about you etc, pm me. They are broken down into Sheriff's Dept, they run the jail and the Police Department. Frankly police benefits are a little better, there is a heirarchy in the city beleive me. I know they have a preference for those with military experience. I was pretty tight with Dana, the Sheriff, they all owe more for those 12-16 hour days, 6 days a week.

Give me a little more info about you etc, pm me. They are broken down into Sheriff's Dept, they run the jail and the Police Department. Frankly police benefits are a little better, there is a heirarchy in the city beleive me. I know they have a preference for those with military experience. I was pretty tight with Dana, the Sheriff, they all owe more for those 12-16 hour days, 6 days a week.

PMed

I just thought it would be a shame to waste the time you have put into the Corps. This would also keep your rank and MOS up to date and perhaps even get a promotion or two. I was never sorry that I did the same thing when I decided to get out of the regular Army after 6.5 years. Of course I did go into the Air Force Reserve in '53 and stayed in it until 1961 when I switched back to the Army to get back on jump status with the Army Special Forces Reserve.

So I would up having 30 + years in the Army, AF Reserve/NG and the Army reserve SF, as well as 34 years in local LE. During my time in local LE I served as a Rescue Recovery SCUBA diver, Motorcycle Sgt. Bomb Technician, Riot unit Sgt., SWAT team member and Supervisor of the Traffic unit, Bomb Disposal Unit, SWAT unit and VIP Protection unit. Most of such assignments came to me because of my military background and specialities. As a supervisor of these speciality units I always look very carefully at a candidates military background and military specialities. (Of course, I did my time in Patrol, as a Patrol Officer, Patrol SGT and Patrol Lt. too.)

The biggest problem I see right now for anyone seeking a job in Federal or Local LE is that very few are hiring at the moment. The other factor is cut backs on currant retirement and medical benefits to LE retirement plans. Some have LE agencies (To include my old department,) have already cut out the retirement plan I retired under. Those that retired under the older plan are fine. The reason I mention Retirement plans is you should really look very carefully at whatever agencies retirement and benefits package before joint that agency. Many have not changed their plans yet; however, will in the future, perhaps they will 'grandfather' the people hired into the old plan. This is another great reason to do your 20 in the USMC or other Reserve/NG unit. (The Retirement/Medical Bennies.)\

There is also another danger, specially lately, many politicians are trying to remove and unionization or benevolent associations , who normal negotiate pay raises and benefit packages for LE civil servants. IMO, without such people having the power to negotiate for them they will be at the mercy of the local politicians, who will never give them a raise or good benefits, as they will be to busy taking care of pet projects, themselves and other politicians.

I know that right now thinking about retirement is difficult; however, IMO it is VERY important in todays diminishing retirement benefits and medical coverage.

Thanks its funny you say that, today is the first day that the idea even came across my mind! I just need to find someone who knows a little more about it.

City of A, 30 years 82% income replacement with COLA. Early retirement at 25 years, no reduction for early just your have less of a multiplier. Add Social Security and the potential of receiving over 100% at retirement is not extraordinary. Sheriffs have a combination of VA retirement plan, Supplemental City Plan and a profit sharing plan. And of course you can always contribute to your own deferred comp plan. I ran 7 plans almost $500M in assets. I had no life. Municipalities are a politic entitiy, just try to deny a cop, it doesn't go over well with the constiutients. Trust me I tried fiscal restraint, but after 9/11, they got what the asked for.

Fairfax County is generally a little better in benefits. Both seem to print money in their basements, just sayin.

Back