Intro

Thorny

Unverified
Howdy. I'm a USAF Arabic/French linguist and EW/SIGINT guy. Been at Bragg since 2008 and have been attached to NSW as a "recce" guy since last year. Have a wife and two awesome kiddos and I enjoy working out and flying out west to go mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada, Cascades, or Canadian Rockies in what little spare time I have between the job and the family. Thanks for having me on the forum.

Welcome to SS.

Ever hike in the Sequoia National Park?

RF 1

My first mountaineering trip was a winter ascent of Alta Peak in Sequoia on an REI-run trip. Great memories.

At the time I was also back in Monterey for the second time, single, and was loving my Jeep so that might have something to do with it. :)

Welcome! I've been hiking in the Canadian Rockies before, such a beautiful place!
I was wondering where you learnt your french and arabic from?

Welcome! I've been hiking in the Canadian Rockies before, such a beautiful place!
I was wondering where you learnt your french and arabic from?

I learned Arabic after attending the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, once as an E-1/E-2 and again as an E-5 for the advanced course. French I learned in my spare time.

I learned Arabic after attending the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, once as an E-1/E-2 and again as an E-5 for the advanced course. French I learned in my spare time.
I've heard from people that Arabic is a very hard language to learn, especially for English speakers. Any tips?

I've heard from people that Arabic is a very hard language to learn, especially for English speakers. Any tips?

There's no magic formula with this language. Hard work over time. Once you have a grasp of MSA, try and get time in-country (easier said than done I know) and start hammering down on a dialect. Gulf and Egyptian dialects are the most widely understood. Pick up French later to be relevant in the North Africa AO.

Back