Intro

Thorny

Unverified
Howdy. I'm a USAF Arabic/French linguist and EW/SIGINT guy. Been at Bragg since 2008 and have been attached to NSW as a "recce" guy since last year. Have a wife and two awesome kiddos and I enjoy working out and flying out west to go mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada, Cascades, or Canadian Rockies in what little spare time I have between the job and the family. Thanks for having me on the forum.

Welcome and thank you for your service. I'd like to pick your brain via PM if that's okay with you.

Welcome to SS.

Ever hike in the Sequoia National Park?

RF 1

My first mountaineering trip was a winter ascent of Alta Peak in Sequoia on an REI-run trip. Great memories.

At the time I was also back in Monterey for the second time, single, and was loving my Jeep so that might have something to do with it. :)

Welcome! I've been hiking in the Canadian Rockies before, such a beautiful place!
I was wondering where you learnt your french and arabic from?

Welcome! I've been hiking in the Canadian Rockies before, such a beautiful place!
I was wondering where you learnt your french and arabic from?

I learned Arabic after attending the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, once as an E-1/E-2 and again as an E-5 for the advanced course. French I learned in my spare time.

I learned Arabic after attending the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, once as an E-1/E-2 and again as an E-5 for the advanced course. French I learned in my spare time.
I've heard from people that Arabic is a very hard language to learn, especially for English speakers. Any tips?

I've heard from people that Arabic is a very hard language to learn, especially for English speakers. Any tips?

There's no magic formula with this language. Hard work over time. Once you have a grasp of MSA, try and get time in-country (easier said than done I know) and start hammering down on a dialect. Gulf and Egyptian dialects are the most widely understood. Pick up French later to be relevant in the North Africa AO.

Back