Introduction : future soldier 15T

wolfman83

Unverified
Hello to everyone,
first of all I would like to thank everybody from the community that will take the time-effort to read my introduction (it might be boring!)
My name is Andre, I am 28 years old and I just enlisted in the army as a 15T ( I will ship out for training the 2nd of january 2013); my goal is to become a member of the 160th SOAR and an army officer as my dad ( family tradition).
I currently work as a contractor at the Property Book office for the 173rd BDE stationed in Vicenza, Italy and I really enjoy working amoung tha army community.
I choose my nickname to render honour to the soldier of the 173rd as they are known as "skysoldiers".
I am also very proud to say that I was lucky enought to have meet the medal of honor Sal Giunta as he was working in the office next to mine.
I hope to learn as much as I can from everybody here in the community as I believe that you guys have lots of good advices to share.
I find out about this website when I was looking to find more information about the 160th.

1. Do not choose a military-related user name or select site avatars that do not mirror your credentials. For example: Do not choose "ArmyGuy7" if you have never been in the Army. If you are an Army wannabe, do not choose a screen name with the word "Army" in it (ie "ArmyWannabe1").

You signed that you had read and agreed to the rules. The FIRST of which is posted above.

Choose a new name immediately and send it to an administrator or moderator to have it changed. Do that before you post again. This intro will be unlocked at that time. Thank you.

OK, starting afresh.

Welcome aboard.

How long will your AIT be? What have you been told about your chances to actually become a crew chief and fly, as opposed to being stuck on the ground turning wrenches full time?

thanks pardus;
My AIT will last 15 weeks at fort eustis (VA), I have been told that is kind of competitive to find a spot as a crew chief but I have noticed that lately there is a shortage of 15T in the army ( 15T keep coming up to the recruiter list).
Even if I wouldn't mind staying on the ground for the necessary time to fully understand the bird and how to properly maintan in. I usually do a really good job or I don't start at all; I want to be the best than I can.
Hope to be selected for the 160th SOAR during one of their AIT visits!

Cool, A worthy goal indeed.

Are you Italian, American, both, or did you just get a job in Italy?

Currently I am both! I have the dual citizenship but plan on giving up the Italian one once I get to my first duty station since I cannot do it from here.
I do speak very fluently in Italian of course...
Do you guys think that since I know 5 foreign languages (including chinese) may help me get into SOAR?
the reason why I am in Italy is because my dad is a former us army office and when he was stationed in Italy the first time I was born at hte army hospital and after travelling all round the world my dad was lucky enough to retire here!

Welcome!

If you are requested by 160th and you turn it down, good luck trying to get it again. For becoming a pilot (153A/15A) you will need to apply for selection, check with the Regiment Recruiters or go to SORB site. For being an enlisted (15T/15P), work hard at doing your best and keep up on PT. Good luck to you in your endeavors!

Currently I am both! I have the dual citizenship but plan on giving up the Italian one once I get to my first duty station since I cannot do it from here.
I do speak very fluently in Italian of course...
Do you guys think that since I know 5 foreign languages (including chinese) may help me get into SOAR?
the reason why I am in Italy is because my dad is a former us army office and when he was stationed in Italy the first time I was born at hte army hospital and after travelling all round the world my dad was lucky enough to retire here!

AFAIK, the 160th doesn't have any slots for linguists. So if you want to earn a spot on the team, it will be because you're good at your job. And you can do PT. And you don't have any behavior issues. I'd look at your ORB and say, "hm, this guy speaks five languages, that's pretty cool, but how is he in the air?"

Back