Introduction

CBL27

Unverified
My name is Cody. I am currently in the DEP with a reservist 0352 contract. I’m headed for Parris Island in July. My goal is the PLC route when I’m done with IET (I’m in college and will miss the fall semester for basic/SOI) and an Infantry Officer slot. Dream is Rifle PL, then Recon PL. A&S is a possible interest, but it’s too far out to consider. My current numbers are a 13:12 mile and a half, 4 pull-ups, and 55 crunches (lot of work to do). I take my official IST on Jan. 4. Thanks for your time and expertise.

Welcome. I’m assuming your recruiter has you locked on in regards to the things you should memorize before you go to boot camp?
- General Orders
- Marine Hymn
- Basic Corps History
- Rank structure
- Chain of Command

You need work on your fitness. Serious question, are you overweight or just not conditioned?

Considering your long term goals, you should plan on going to P.I. able to crushing your first PFT.

Your 1.5 mile should be closer to 9 minutes so that you can be in the 18 minute range for the 3 mile.

I don’t remember if they have updated what the max pull-ups and sit-ups are, (20 and 80?)

Focus on form, especially with the pull-ups. Using your momentum (kipping) is a no-go.

Welcome. I’m assuming your recruiter has you locked on in regards to the things you should memorize before you go to boot camp?
- General Orders
- Marine Hymn
- Basic Corps History
- Rank structure
- Chain of Command

You need work on your fitness. Serious question, are you overweight or just not conditioned?

Considering your long term goals, you should plan on going to P.I. able to crushing your first PFT.

Your 1.5 mile should be closer to 9 minutes so that you can be in the 18 minute range for the 3 mile.

I don’t remember if they have updated what the max pull-ups and sit-ups are, (20 and 80?)

Focus on form, especially with the pull-ups. Using your momentum (kipping) is a no-go.

Yes, Sir. My recruiter is keeping me up to date on required knowledge.

To answer your question, I am 6’3” and 197.6 pounds (per the MEPS doctors). I don’t think I’d be considered overweight. I played five sports in high school (that was three+ years ago now, though) and was on my college club lacrosse team (taking this semester off of it to focus on six classes, pre-requisite knowledge for P.I., and Marine-style PT). I’m not used to the heavy calisthenics (especially pull-ups) and mile+ runs that the Marines do for PT. My recruiters have assured me they will have me where I need to be in six months if I keep coming to the weekly PT sessions (Tu/Thu). I will be PT-ing on my own as well, as a 300+ is my goal.

I am 21, so my max pull-ups and crunches would be 23 and 110 in two minutes for a perfect 200 on those events. Like I said, I have a lot of work to do.

Thank you for you response and knowledge, sir.

Yes, Sir. My recruiter is keeping me up to date on required knowledge.

To answer your question, I am 6’3” and 197.6 pounds (per the MEPS doctors). I don’t think I’d be considered overweight. I played five sports in high school (that was three+ years ago now, though) and was on my college club lacrosse team (taking this semester off of it to focus on six classes, pre-requisite knowledge for P.I., and Marine-style PT). I’m not used to the heavy calisthenics (especially pull-ups) and mile+ runs that the Marines do for PT. My recruiters have assured me they will have me where I need to be in six months if I keep coming to the weekly PT sessions (Tu/Thu). I will be PT-ing on my own as well, as a 300+ is my goal.

I am 21, so my max pull-ups and crunches would be 23 and 110 in two minutes for a perfect 200 on those events. Like I said, I have a lot of work to do.

Thank you for you response and knowledge, sir.

Just remember, the IST is not that hard. Just work up to it gradually. It's best if you can do more than the minimum requirements. Better still if you can kill it.

There are going to be guys who hit just above the minimum numbers. They're still in, they've just a longer road to go. Since you've got plenty of time before you go, if I were you, honestly, I'd train up for the standard Marine Corps PFT. Then the IST will seem like a cakewalk.

Just remember, the IST is not that hard. Just work up to it gradually. It's best if you can do more than the minimum requirements. Better still if you can kill it.

There are going to be guys who hit just above the minimum numbers. They're still in, they've just a longer road to go. Since you've got plenty of time before you go, if I were you, honestly, I'd train up for the standard Marine Corps PFT. Then the IST will seem like a cakewalk.

Yes, sir. Thank you for the recommendation.

Back