Iran nuke deal signed? Or, what Iran deal, oil prices drop in time for summer road trip!

poison

Business
Oil prices tumble as Iran, global powers reach deal

Oil prices tumbled more than a dollar on Tuesday as Iran and six global powers reached a nuclear deal that could see an easing of sanctions against Tehran and a gradual increase in its oil exports just as Asian economies showed further signs of weakness.

Iran and six major powers have reached a historic nuclear deal, which will grant Tehran sanctions relief in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program, an Iranian diplomat said on Tuesday.

I found this interesting (from elsewhere):

A diplomat quoted by the Associated Press said the deal included a compromise over the inspection of nuclear sites. It would allow UN inspectors to monitor military sites, but Iran could challenge requests for access, the diplomat said.

Iran was saying 'no military site inspections', so this sounds like they gave a bit (perhaps without giving much at all).

Interesting.

:youllpay:

I'm confident the deal is legit and serves our best interests. Remember, this is the same Admin that secured the deal for Berghdal's release.

Kevin Bacon said it best: "All's well. Remain calm."

China and Russia are both extremely happy about it........

What does that tell you????

This deal complete with so called "Unfettered access" for inspectors, I guarantee will resemble / replicate the joke Iraq had with the UN inspectors years ago.

One can only hope that those in Congress, with common sense, will read the deal in it's entirety and decide whether or not America should support it, and not just this administration.

So far, it appears to me Iran got everything they wanted.

The bottom line is this: The devil is in the details. I have a feeling the administration was so hard pressed to come up with something, that we conceded almost everything. I haven't read it (The Treaty details in its entirety) so as of now, my gut tells me we will continue to smear lipstick, on a pig.......

Last edited:
Saw this and thought it summed it up well:

"We promise to stop making nuclear weapons...until you're not looking and then we'll go back to what we were doing yesterday.
P.S. Thanks for the money." - Iran

...This deal complete with so called "Unfettered access" for inspectors...

Unfortunately, I can't imagine the US having "unfettered access" any where in the ME, much less Iran. I am sure we will have access to anywhere we want, as long as it doesn't have a "lock on the door."

The only "unfettered access" that I think we could possibly have there is the access we grant ourselves by "taking it."

We should have a policy with the rest of the world that reads something like this- we have more nukes than all of you combined, try something and we'll shoot your shit down then blast your country into a muddy crater.

that's the type of message even Arabs and Persians can understand. If they didn't get it, they would understand after the first example was made.

We should have a policy with the rest of the world that reads something like this- we have more nukes than all of you combined, try something and we'll shoot your shit down then blast your country into a muddy crater.

that's the type of message even Arabs and Persians can understand. If they didn't get it, they would understand after the first example was made.

I'm with you on that, but in what world would such a policy pass? Maybe a few decades ago. But these days, Western citizens are practically gay for the likes of Obama, Snowden and whoever the next traitor (or in their eyes, "hero") is. And it doesn't get any better. Every year, every generation, our people are becoming more and more liberal, so it's all decline from here. Well, at least until shit gets really bad. Though at that point it will be pretty late.

I know there are places out there (particularly in the US) where a lot of people are still hanging on to reason, but given enough time, even those places will just become enclaves.

I'd love for someone to seriously argue that this isn't going to happen. Because it's depressing, quite frankly.

China and Russia could still make things pretty bad here if they so chose, and I'm not sure such a policy would be worth it. You may be being somewhat tongue-in-cheek and I'm taking you too literally though. Besides, with the risk-averse mentality that's prevalent these days, we'd probably launch a couple nukes into the ocean or desert as a "warning shot" before actually nuking another country.

This deal looks good on the surface, from the limited amount I've read. Obviously it's up in the air if the Iranians will actually comply and if the so-called "snapback sanctions" will be enforced if it comes to it. At least the number of nations, and which nations they are, that are signatories will prevent Russia, China, and Iran from teaming up and having the legal power to change things. That may not mean much at some point down the road, but hopefully Congress has enough of an understanding of what the true risk of that is before signing yea or nay.

It's easy to complain about the deal and a whole lot harder to have a different plan.

Does anyone believe Russia and China was going to voluntarily not sell Iran military technology if no deal was reach? Does anyone believe Russia wasn't going to help Iran build nuclear reactors if no deal was in place? The deal did get a 5 year moratorium on conventional weapon sales to Iran and 8 years on ballistic missile technology.
How the Pentagon got its way in Iran deal

Does anyone believe that Iran was going to voluntarily stop it's nuclear pursuit if no deal was reached?

People will argue we could have gotten a better deal. How did that strategy work out with North Korea?

Nobody has offered a different path that doesn't lead to Iran getting a nuclear weapon at the end of the day. That is the big fail over this whole issue.

I don't like Obama, for many reasons, so it's easy to vilify him, and the deal. But he's been very clear that he will not allow a nuclear Iran. He's said it multiple times, as many ways as can be said. So either he completely lied, or misspoke, or has capitulated, or he's playing the game. Even if this is a bad deal, he could still be keeping the option of military action on the table. Maybe all the antagonism between him and Bibi was part of the game. Is it possible he 'capitulated' simply to postpone an attack on Iran until absolutely necessary, or until the time is right for the US? Maybe. Would that be bad? Not intrinsically. Based on his presidency, I don't think this is the case, but what do I know.

It's easy to complain about the deal and a whole lot harder to have a different plan.

Does anyone believe Russia and China was going to voluntarily not sell Iran military technology if no deal was reach? Does anyone believe Russia wasn't going to help Iran build nuclear reactors if no deal was in place? The deal did get a 5 year moratorium on conventional weapon sales to Iran and 8 years on ballistic missile technology.
How the Pentagon got its way in Iran deal

Does anyone believe that Iran was going to voluntarily stop it's nuclear pursuit if no deal was reached?

People will argue we could have gotten a better deal. How did that strategy work out with North Korea?

Nobody has offered a different path that doesn't lead to Iran getting a nuclear weapon at the end of the day. That is the big fail over this whole issue.

What was wrong with the current plan: economic sanctions and isolation?

Your last sentence is, in my opinion naive as there was no clear and present NEED for a different plan, save Obama's legacy. With or without the deal, the Islamic Republic of Iran WILL become a nuclear power in the future, that is a shared reality. This agreement simply unfreezes the $100 billion in assets and allows Iran to begin selling their oil on the world market...and that flow will dramatically increase upon upgrading their oil extraction/transportation infrastructure.

The Iranian proxy forces just went on a shopping spree and unfortunately we will be on the receiving end of their new toys....AGAIN. 5-year moratorium on weapons purchases??? Really??? Where the hell did they get these in 2013 or these in 2015?

Obama arrogantly believes he can negotiate and reason with Iran because he has economic leverage. Why not wait to gain MORE leverage and tip the scales to our advantage? Oh, let's piss off all of our allies in the region at the same time. Brilliant statesmanship.

What was wrong with the current plan: economic sanctions and isolation?

Your last sentence is, in my opinion naive as there was no clear and present NEED for a different plan, save Obama's legacy. With or without the deal, the Islamic Republic of Iran WILL become a nuclear power in the future, that is a shared reality. This agreement simply unfreezes the $100 billion in assets and allows Iran to begin selling their oil on the world market...and that flow will dramatically increase upon upgrading their oil extraction/transportation infrastructure.

The Iranian proxy forces just went on a shopping spree and unfortunately we will be on the receiving end of their new toys....AGAIN. 5-year moratorium on weapons purchases??? Really??? Where the hell did they get these in 2013 or these in 2015?

Obama arrogantly believes he can negotiate and reason with Iran because he has economic leverage. Why not wait to gain MORE leverage and tip the scales to our advantage? Oh, let's piss off all of our allies in the region at the same time. Brilliant statesmanship.

Obviously Obama is choosing a different side, and would rather deal with Iran, than the Arabs or Israel.

This wouldn't be such an issue if Iran had a shred of trustworthiness or hadn't conspired to or openly acted to kill our guys in multiple countries. Ultimately we won't stop Iran while also alienating our Gulf allies. Time will tell though.

I'm waiting for the Israelis to bomb and our indignation at their efforts to undermine the "peace" process.

Last edited:
Iran is the biggest support of terror in the world, and has been for decades. Iran killed more Americans than any other country, through direct terror attacks, and support of the insurgency in Iraq. Iran has assassinated those in its way around the world, most recently Nisman in Argentina; that plot reads like a clancy novel, and involves 4 SA countries, nuclear equipment, expansion of terror operations, teaming up with cartels, and lots more. Hizbullah is the most highly trained terror org in the world, with the deepest pockets, greatest capabilities, and longest reach, due to Iranian (and russian) involvement. But yeah, they're perfectly trustworthy.

What's this?

Disturbing details of the Iran nuclear deal signed Tuesday continue to come to light, revealing why critics are more concerned than ever.

One particularly interesting detail: Tucked away near the very end of the deal's massive text is a section entitled "Nuclear Safety, Safeguards and Security," which stipulates that the West will train Iran to thwart sabotage against its nuclear facilities.

According to text, Iran will learn how to secure its controversial and covert nuclear program from all threats thanks to training by the "E3/EU+3," another designation for the P5+1 countries consisting of the US, UK, France, Germany, Russia and China, as well as the EU.

The section seemingly begins benignly enough, with a clause saying that "E3/EU+3 parties, and possibly other states, as appropriate, are prepared to cooperate with Iran to establish a Nuclear Safety Centre in Iran, engage in workshops and training events in Iran."

But then things take a turn, with the same world powers obligating to "co-operation in the form of training courses and workshops to strengthen Iran's ability to prevent, protect and respond to nuclear security threats to nuclear facilities and systems as well as to enable effective and sustainable nuclear security and physical protection systems."

Leaving no doubts about the intentions, the text then promises "co-operation through training and workshops to strengthen Iran’s ability to protect against, and respond to nuclear security threats, including sabotage."

http://eeas.europa.eu/statements-eeas/docs/iran_agreement/annex_3_civil_nuclear_cooperation_en.pdf

Back