Iraqi 36th Commandos, trained by USSF advisors.

I say outstanding to 1st BN 5th group. To all of them men who put hundreds upon hundreds of hours in to accomplish this. Several of these guys have been KIA and one has died of a heart attack at 31 years old. Those are the guys I thank for making the ultimate sacrifice.

That wasn't the 36th Commandos who are now just ISOF. That was the ICTF which is Iraqs Teir 1 unit which we also train. That fight happened on one of my rotations I believe. I can't remember them all, but anywho, the ICTF are damn good now.

I have mad respect for you SF guys working along side them, I only worked once with the Iraqis on an operation along with their SF handler and they were ok, a little unnerving to be around but they seemed to have their shit together. Don't no what unit they where from though. I do remember it was a day we infilled with SWCC and they seemed excited to have just experienced a ride in the SOC-R

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngDwYaah4GU&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jC0YMNCGiA&feature=related[/ame]

I've also heard those guys have gotten pretty darn good. I commend the good work on getting them tuned up to carry on the good fight in our absence. I haven't dealt with them directly, yet, but apparently they've gotten dialed in quite well. So, good on you guys for that.

I'm always conflicted to see us train foreign units to a high degree, though. It seems we always have them to fight against about a decade later, due to no fault of those who trained them.

So, even though I have concerns some of that training may eventually be used against us, I do recognize the hard and effective work. That's all you can do. If it backfires on us later, that'll be on the politicians and whichever agencies break deals with them.

Like my boy, I'm training him to fight, but I won't teach him everything..at least not until I'm too old for it to matter.

610xfxq.jpg
Soldiers from the Iraqi special operations forces abseil down from a helicopter to raid a building during a parade at a military base near Baghdad's airport, August 4, 2009.
610xkiu.jpg

610xcmr.jpg

610xnxa.jpg
Soldiers from the Iraqi special operations forces take up positions during an exercise at a their base near Baghdad's airport, August 4, 2009.

610xihh.jpg

610xzil.jpg
Soldiers from the Iraqi special operations forces secure a "detainee" during an exercise at a military base near Baghdad's airport, August 4, 2009.
610xuhn.jpg
Soldiers from the Iraqi special operations forces dressed in ghillie suits take part in a parade at a military base near Baghdad's airport, August 4, 2009.
610xzkg.jpg
Iraqi special operations forces soldiers patrol during a parade at a military base near Baghdad's airport, August 4, 2009.

nice pics rav...

I had a couple oportunities to work alongside these guys and their USSF counterparts, they were well trained, well equiped, and motivated unusual for that part of the world, says something about their mentors. :2c:

Question: what do you guys think will happen after the US/NATO troope fully withdraw from Iraq ? Will Iraqi SOF keep doing the good work they do, or will they just become another tool in interstruggles for power in Iraq ?

Question: what do you guys think will happen after the US/NATO troope fully withdraw from Iraq ? Will Iraqi SOF keep doing the good work they do, or will they just become another tool in interstruggles for power in Iraq ?

I believe they will be put on lock down and then disbanded for fear of a coup. The lock down part has already happened before for them.

I hope that they will continue their successful operations, time will tell. I think however history usually repeats itself and they will be resigned to doing VIP/bodyguard work. The Republican Guard had to start out somewhere. Again we shall see. :2c::rolleyes:

Back