Is Your Grass Greener?

I'm jealous. It was 80 yesterday, 83 today, and supposed to be 85 tomorrow. It's way too early to start the sauna effect....

Back in Indiana our house was built on a farm and so we had the best dirt, which lead to fantasticly thick and lush green grass that required zero maintenance.

Our new home is now on crappy soil and struggles to even grow weeds. I decided this past weekend to overseed and cut down some lower limbs on trees to help facilitate sunlight. Of course now its 90* the past two days and I'm sure my seeds are struggling. I am going to get some peat moss on my way home for the big areas.

Question though: Can you substitute peat moss with planting soil? I already 3 bags of planting soil at home. Yard is flat and no rain has been forecasted anytime soon so other than my sprinkler, should not have to worry too much about it washing away.

@Ocoka , I would have given you a nice meal and bought you your bottle of choice booze....

This one was only six hundred bucks, we had one taken down last year that was $1,200.

ONE was $600? I have neighbors’ tree limbs shading parts of my lawn and WAS thinking of thinning but dang...

ONE was $600? I have neighbors’ tree limbs shading parts of my lawn and WAS thinking of thinning but dang...

That was in the bottom third of estimates. The one picture you see the stump in the middle of the yard? That one got taken down last year, that one was $1,200. Estimates for that tree ranged from that to $2,500.

I need to start running a tree business.

Heard. This guy says he is booked almost every day for months, until September. figure he does one A day, $500 per tree. Do the math, that ain't chump change. He said sometimes he can do two jobs a day.

That's said, when I was a paramedic, after one hurricane that came through, Hurricane Fran, I must have gone to 10 or 12 guys on whom a tree fell while they were trying to trim it or take it down. Most of them were grossly dead, those that survived were severely injured.

With the size of the tree's, and the location of my shed, house, and fence, and ther neighbors house, I need to fall them in sections.

Wait...your climbing with a chainsaw to lop off the higher sections? Wear
a hard hat. At least. I'd recommend professional help with a bucket truck. I've cut down loads of trees, some in confined areas, and even doing it right, 50% of the time the tree will do something you didn't expect.

BTW...If you are killed we split your gear. 😎 Squad law.

Wait...your climbing with a chainsaw to lop off the higher sections? Wear
a hard hat. At least. I'd recommend professional help with a bucket truck. I've cut down loads of trees, some in confined areas, and even doing it right, 50% of the time the tree will do something you didn't expect.

If you are killed we split your gear. 😎

Just clean out the gun safe before my wife finds out how invested we are in guns and ammo.

Trying a 3.5” in the back and 4” in the front. Still battling the wild violets but like the tall grass. Hoping it will choke out the weeds.

Back