Japanese Threat To Oceania

My findings indicate they were offered a seat but refused. You are probably right I will keep looking. I am interested in how and why the US got such a shitty reputation even with our "Friends" I know most think it is arrogance but we don't hold a corner on that market.
Bill

My findings indicate they were offered a seat but refused. You are probably right I will keep looking. I am interested in how and why the US got such a shitty reputation even with our "Friends" I know most think it is arrogance but we don't hold a corner on that market.
Bill

I'm confused. Are you saying we (Americans) have a shitty relationship with NZ?

We had a falling out with NZ over them not wanting our nuke ships in their harbors. That's why they dropped off the "five eyes" list for a while.

Why did New Zealand refuse to join NATO. I haven't found an answer. help would be appreciated.
Bill

Makes no sense for NZ to join NATO.

The Parties of NATO agreed that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North Americahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO#cite_note-Tropic-9 shall be considered an attack against them all. Consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence will assist the Party or Parties being attacked, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

Such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force does not necessarily mean that other member states will respond with military action against the aggressor(s). Rather they are obliged to respond, but maintain the freedom to choose how they will respond. This differs from Article IV of the Treaty of Brussels (which founded the Western European Union) which clearly states that the response however often assumed that NATO members will aid the attacked member militarily. Further, the article limits the organization's scope to regions above the Tropic of Cancer,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO#cite_note-Tropic-9which explains why the Falklands War did not result in NATO involvement.

So NZ would be committing to fight northern wars without any reciprocation.

Besides NZ had SEATO, ANZUK, ANZUS (off the top of my head) to keep us involved and occupied.

Pardus thanks I think I see how the puzzle goes. Did NZ take on the NATO standards for military ammunition etc? I thought in the 90's was when jooining NATO was considered. What is the feeling of the average NZ citizen towards the US? Was the no nuke ships a big deal? or was it the media that made something out of nothing? In 1948 was NZ still a part of the Commonwealth? The date of independance is hard for me to figure.
Thanks
Bill

We use the NATO standard for most things and everything has an NSN number.

We have always been part of the commonwealth. There was another part to the ANZUS debacle which was when French agents bombed the Rainbow Warrior in Auckland harbour. France was part of NATO at the time and noone took them to task so it fucked the general population off a wee bit and the government a lot.

I'm in no way shape or form keen about the hippies and if the surrender monkeys had asked us nicely boat troop probably would have sunk the damned thing for them. However you don't rock into a friends house and slash his car tires and then act all mates about it. You also expect your mates to tell him he's a prick.

Personally I can understand why, France is quite geographically important for the next time the Hun invades them and the world has to save their arse. got to keep them on side.

Behind the scenes things are business as normal, we send people their, you send people here. Cross training on a larger scale will be online soon.

The FTA with US, AU and NZ would be a good thing for all, I'm sure someone in Washington could put the expected $5 billion gained to good use bailing out another bank. That and I might be able to buy a F150 without having to sell all my limbs.

We can however be a funny little ally, the average Kiwi doesn't like the idea of nukes whatsoever. You guys have grown accustomed to them whereas joe bloggs in Timaru thinks they are the devil.

We also tend to be choosy about where we will get stuck in, if they cause is just its all on. In WWII 67% of males aged 18-45 served and we had the highest number of casualties amongst the colonies in the commonwealth. In most things with us its quality over quantity, we will send you the very best we have as opposed to flooding the area with morons.

Mac thanks for the input. I am trying to put together a picture of truth. If I told you what we were taught about New Zealand in school you would never quit laughing.
Nukes are what they are. I think they saved a lot of good peoples lives both japanese and Allied. I certainly understand and respect NZ stand on having Nukes themselves.
We can always use money there are people in executive positions that had to drive themselves to work last week. I don't know how our farmers would feel about all your agricultural goods hitting the US market. Probably not.
Your support in Viet Nam buys you a place at the head of the table at my house or my families house at any time.
Funny about the rainbow warrior I always thought it was NZ that sank it for another country.
Lastly I consider all allys the same the giving of a human life in the defense of a friend is the same for a big country or a smaller country.
Thanks again Mac
Respectfully,
Bill

I couldn't care less they bombed the Rainbow Warrior, what pisses me off is that our wharf got taken out of action. And then the French had the Gaulle (boom pish) to strongarm us over butter exports if their officers weren't released.

With regard to the nukes, that was the nation been taken for a ride by a very Left Prime Minister. The legislation is worded IIRC that nuclear weapons are banned, not ships. To be quite honest I'd feel better if an Ohio were in port and had the nukes to strike back. At least, until I got incinerated in the fire :D

With regard to the average person...let me think on that. I've got a few thoughts but I need to mash them out a bit.

Good post Mac, I was and am still pissed over the Rainbow Warrior incident, unforgivable IMO.
I thought then and I still think now that NZ should have executed those two French spies.

France was not a member of NATO at that stage, they left back in 1966.

The no nuke policy fucked the NZDF and that was disastrous but I doubt NZ will allow nukes there for the foreseeable future, the population simply won't allow it.
The policy was a big deal at the time, I think it's kind of forgotten now but forgotten with the happy knowledge that there are no nukes in NZ.

Yes NZ does need to be convinced a scrap is the right thing to do but we do tend to go balls out once we get the green light.

Despite what you see on this board Kiwis are fairly amicable people and Americans are a white, christian colonial people at heart with the same basic values so there will always be a kinship there.
Some people do think the US can be or is arrogant and ignorant in some things and there some justification for that but that is coming from a friend not a stranger or enemy, big difference.

It is a wish of mine that NZ starts combat operations with regular troops in A'stan etc...
There would need to be US/NATO financing for that because NZ doesn't have shit for a budget but I think it would benefit all parties.

Nukes are what they are. I think they saved a lot of good peoples lives both japanese and Allied.

Absolutely correct! No doubt at all.

The US is often viewed as being arrogant and a bully because of their size and power, but that's what large countries do. Hell, some of the ways the USG have even treated the British (and that's supposed to be the closest of relationships) has been bullying and at the expense of the Brits.

All that said, I'd rather you lot than the Sov- Russians or the Chinese. Awwww. Group hug time! :D

Cheers for the clarification T.

And yeah Tony is right, don't judge the whole nation based on us 3 lol.

Attachments

• snow lambs jeep trip 017.JPG
    snow lambs jeep trip 017.JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 6
I am working on a source right now. http://www.kiwikennels.com/contactus.htm I haven't driven up to see the dogs yet. The problem with Huntaways and Border collies is the breeding. As you know new stock from Europe is needed. With agility trials and shows the collies is not working as much as showing. If you have any US sources I would appreciate a link.
Bill

Sorry, I don't know of anything.

I grew up in farming areas in NZ, those dogs are all over the place there.

Yeah I used to have a pack of 7 of the buggers. I can get you some gogo juice for artificial insemination but you would need a bitch of decent pedigree.

I didn't know about the bombing of Kiwi cities, but Sydney harbor was bombed and attacked by midget subs which is well documented. There was another flotilla which went south, launching a seaborne aircraft which flew over Melbourne. Most Australians know or firmly believe now that a Japanese invasion was on the cards. Strategically, Gen. McArthur was a little concerned when he was given a precis of what we had to do the job after his bug out from the P.I. as there wasn't much here to work with. As decisive as the US at Midway on the sea, were the Australian Kokoda battles on land, and the combined effort in the Coral Sea.

No bombings IIRC but I think one of those subs was spotted this way + floatplanes.

Germans sent one or two U Boats this way after about 1943 too.

Back