Joining AFSOC with a BSN

Nuytengsu

Unverified
Hey everyone I'm a new member here in ShadowSpear and I have a quick question. I am currently in school to get my Bachelors in Science of Nursing and I know that it seems like Para-rescue is the obvious route to take, however, I was wondering if it is possible and a option to go try out for the other units besides pararescue.

@Nuytengsu

Per forum rules, please post an intro in the appropriate area as your next post.

"like" this post after you have done so and I will unlock your question.

I let you into the “undecided SOF” mentorship group. I’ve looked through your other posts and have gotten a better idea of what you are looking for.

You might be interested in Air Force SOST. There are lots of threads discussing it, please use the search function.

If you are looking into enlisting and also using your medical skills, SEAL and SWCC both can become medics after completion of their pipeline. I can answer questions about Navy Special Warfare in depth.

From my research, Air Force PJ and Army SF go through medic training while in the pipeline.

Rangers complete medic training prior and most likely go through more once joining the regiment.

There is also Navy Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman (SARC) who go through start with basic Corpsman school and then go on to more advanced medical training and become part of Marine Recon or MARSOC. I would like to point out that SARCs are not a part of Naval Special Warfare (NSW) so I can not provide info on what their lives are like.

To my knowledge, I don’t think any other SOF units go through advanced medic training. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn’t want to let that BSN knowledge go to waste by not becoming a medic within one of these SOF communities if you are trying to figure out what choice to make.

Last edited:
Why is it the obvious route? It doesn't seem so to me, and I've worked with many USAF RNs and NPs.

As a newly minted RN, you'll have a good grasp of the basics of nursing practice as well as some of the science. That's it. That is not to say that nursing training isn't valuable; it is. But you'll want to focus your efforts on learning critical care and earning either a CEN, CCRN--or both. You will learn that emergency and critical care nurses are a different (and awesome!) breed.

Why is it the obvious route? It doesn't seem so to me, and I've worked with many USAF RNs and NPs.

As a newly minted RN, you'll have a good grasp of the basics of nursing practice as well as some of the science. That's it. That is not to say that nursing training isn't valuable; it is. But you'll want to focus your efforts on learning critical care and earning either a CEN, CCRN--or both. You will learn that emergency and critical care nurses are a different (and awesome!) breed.
Sorry if i wasn't clear enough in my original post. The reason I said it was an obvious route is because I am looking into the military going the Special Operations route. I do understand and appreciate your response!

I let you into the “undecided SOF” mentorship group. I’ve looked through your other posts and have gotten a better idea of what you are looking for.

You might be interested in Air Force SOST. There are lots of threads discussing it, please use the search function.

If you are looking into enlisting and also using your medical skills, SEAL and SWCC both can become medics after completion of their pipeline. I can answer questions about Navy Special Warfare in depth.

From my research, Air Force PJ and Army SF go through medic training while in the pipeline.

Rangers complete medic training prior and most likely go through more once joining the regiment.

There is also Navy Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman (SARC) who go through start with basic Corpsman school and then go on to more advanced medical training and become part of Marine Recon or MARSOC. I would like to point out that SARCs are not a part of Naval Special Warfare (NSW) so I can not provide info on what their lives are like.

To my knowledge, I don’t think any other SOF units go through advanced medic training. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn’t want to let that BSN knowledge go to waste by not becoming a medic within one of these SOF communities if you are trying to figure out what choice to make.
Thanks for the response! I have heard of SOST before but i can't really find much information on that unit besides what the unit does. My original plan was to become a corpsman in the Navy and see what options I can do after, but recently I've been really interested in becoming a 18D, but i heard that route is quite difficult.

Well you could try for SOST once you are a critical care or emergency RN. Not much else in AFSOC for an RN except working at the clinic on Hurlburt.
Thanks for the response SOSTCRNA! I've seen some of your responses on other medical posts. I was wondering if you can tell me the process of trying out for a SOST unit. Like do I put down that im interested in joining a SOST unit like doing the option 40 for the rangers or 18X? Whats the training for it? When you say once I am a critical care or emergency RN, does that mean a nurse in the airforce or it can be a civilian hospital?

My original plan was to become a corpsman in the Navy and see what options I can do after, but recently I've been really interested in becoming a 18D, but i heard that route is quite difficult.

A Corpsman’s only route to get into any kind of Special Operations stuff is to go SARC alongside MARSOC and Marine Recon. To do anything else you will have to cross branches (Air Force or Army) or change rates entirely to try and get a SEAL or SWCC contract.

If you are worried about how difficult being an 18D is going to be (you are absolutely right), it’s safe to say that the other SOF options are probably not going to be a good idea to try either.

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough in my original post. The reason I said it was an obvious route is because I am looking into the military going the Special Operations route. I do understand and appreciate your response!

This still isn’t clear why PJ is the obvious route.

Last edited:
I've seen former medics/PJs/SARCs become nurses, but haven't seen too many new grad BSNs become medics. While a BSN would give one a solid academic prep it's not a "natural" transition given that > 90% of nurses are women. Not unheard of, just unusual.

The foundation of all of those programs is rooted in emergency medical care, and you would be wise to take an EMT basic course, if not a paramedic course. There is a philosophical difference between pre-hospital care and nursing.

I was a corpsman for a bit after I got my BSN, which did give me a leg up at promotion time and for some schools and billets, but I didn't use 90% of my nursing skills, whereas I did use 90% of my skills that I learned as a paramedic.

There are some very cool operational billets for nurses in the military, it's not all in a hospital. There is enroute care (i.e., flight), SOST/Special operations medical support, all sorts of neat, niche units. When I got my commission in the Nurse Corps I navigated towards enroute care which was a natural choice for me, but in hindsight wish I'd spend some time with FRSS/STP.

Thanks for the response SOSTCRNA! I've seen some of your responses on other medical posts. I was wondering if you can tell me the process of trying out for a SOST unit. Like do I put down that im interested in joining a SOST unit like doing the option 40 for the rangers or 18X? Whats the training for it? When you say once I am a critical care or emergency RN, does that mean a nurse in the airforce or it can be a civilian hospital?

Talk to an AF healthcare recruiter about your interest. You can get your experience inside or outside the the AF.

I am currently in school to get my Bachelors in Science of Nursing...
Not at the moment but I will be by the fall 2020

So, which is it? Either you are or you’re not.

Regardless, you need to concentrate on your 5m target. That seems to be getting into nursing school. Your 25m target should be graduating and passing the boards. Once you do that you can worry about where in the military you’ll find your best fit.

So, which is it? Either you are or you’re not.

Regardless, you need to concentrate on your 5m target. That seems to be getting into nursing school. Your 25m target should be graduating and passing the boards. Once you do that you can worry about where in the military you’ll find your best fit.
Your right man. i should be focusing more on getting into nursing school first. Appreciated man!

As I'm sure you will know nursing school is very competitive right now. Put all of your time and attention and effort into that. You have some time to think about it and make some decisions.

Hey everyone! I currently a Civilian college student that is pursuing a BSN (Bachelors of Science of Nursing). I found this forum site by browsing and researching up on Special Operation units in the military. Ever since I was young I wanted to be a Green Beret, well that was the only unit I knew at that time. However, now being older and knowing a little more about the military, I found many new different Units. I am still debating on which Special Ops unit best suits me, I am currently pursing a degree in the medical field, but thats more because that was the only major that interested me because of the Science and the idea of helping and saving others. So far as of today, my top picks for Special Ops units are PJ, TACP, SF, or SR. There is also the STO unit that I am somewhat new to and would like to learn more about them.
Your right man. i should be focusing more on getting into nursing school first. Appreciated man!

If you haven’t yet gotten into nursing school, this changes things entirely for you.
You mentioned TACP and SR. I only steered you away and toward medic units because I didn’t want you to waste your healthcare knowledge although I 100% support @Devildoc comments about Civilian Paramedic and EMT being more directly relatable than Nursing.

If you haven’t yet gotten into nursing school, and you aren’t set on a medical route, then there are lots of other options.

Good Luck

After 7 years of critical care and flight nursing I am at a crossroads myself. Wish I would have done SOF earlier in life. If that is your goal you may be better served going for it now. Outside of SOST there really aren't many great options once you are established as a nurse unless you give up all that and enlist.

Good Luck

After 7 years of critical care and flight nursing I am at a crossroads myself. Wish I would have done SOF earlier in life. If that is your goal you may be better served going for it now. Outside of SOST there really aren't many great options once you are established as a nurse unless you give up all that and enlist.

Several more military opportunities if you are CRNA. Do you happen to have a security clearance or any military background? If so and you are willing to spend some time over seas I may have an opportunity for you. The customer may be willing to pay for a clearance for the right people, they are looking for CC/ER RNs. PM me if interested but no worries if not.

Back