Jump from Marine Corps Infantry to Army Rangers

Hitman you nailed it. I was immature when I made my decision to leave the Army when I did. I thought I was bored for my last three years and I did not like the garrison bs which ended up not being as bad as the bs I have had to put up with in the civilian world. My bad knee played a factor in my decision but maybe I would have still given it a shot knowing what I know now. I've also met many more people in the civilain world that I have not liked than what I did in the military. Seems I have found very few people who give a 100% at anything and this really is a issue for me especially at work. Good luck with your career. My father was a two tour Marine in Nam and my cousin was Force Recon for years.

And I was afraid this was going to happen; I've been saying it for the last couple of years...

In 2003-2005, we had a percentage of Marines that got out of the Corps specifically because they didn't want to go to war. Now we're seeing a generation of young Marines (sergeants-staff sergeants for the most part, but some corporals too) that know nothing BUT war. These are the jarheads that have been in 6-10 years and many have them have done 4-5 tours in Iraq/Afghanistan. And when they've been here in garrison, they haven't done much but go on leave, spend the relatiely "big bucks" they earned over there (too many Escalades on CL when I left...), and trained up for the next deployment. As things quiet down, money dries up, and the old BS increases, we're going to see the majority of these Marines leave the Corps before they spend their days painting rocks and field daying the barracks three times a week because the first sergeant's in a bad mood.

We will lose our seed corn if we aren't careful.

Isn't that what happened after the first Gulf War?
Massive cuts, then transition to a garrison mindset and games played in order to bring back discipline to the force? Contractors are happy to take experienced folks off the hands of the military and sell that experience right back to them for training cadres and operational consulting.

Something similar happened after the Viet Nam war where the military had to drastically reorganize and boot out a lot of people considered to be bad NCOs. The idea was the bring professionalism back to the military.

I wish they wouldn't repeat this.

Just from what I saw I am pretty sure any NCO coming from another branch will lose his rank unless he has completed any of the NCO academies... And, knowing how most people are... "Marines suck" coming from Army people, and "Army sucks" coming from Marines... etc etc... I'd just keep it to myself until you have got to Battalion and made your own foot print... Then let it out, but don't until then because who knows who will make a bad judgment for all the wrong reasons and well "Screw you over" of some sorts. Like stated above, I would def. get in touch with a recruiter from the Regiment and I am sure they would know all the processed your about to embark on... And to be honest, we have the same things going on with formations and whatnot. Hell I was a sniper for about 3 years and even on relaxed grooming standards we were doing daily formations. It's all about who TOP is and whatnot. But I wish you the best of luck on your Journey and keep us posted!

Back