Jump School in Yuma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braxton

Unverified
Hello all I am currently a 24 y/o male who is working as a part-time firefighter/emt for two combination departments. I have been wanting to join the U.S. Navy as a SEAL for many years now. I'm sure like most I am afraid of failing but even more than that if I did however pass BUD/s and I went to jump school in Yuma, AZ the idea of jumping from a plane scared the piss out of me. So I just wanted to hear from some operators what it was like for them kind of get an idea maybe some motivation. I couldn't find any other threads on this. Thank you all again for your time.

This thread is closed until you write an intro as per the rules that you signed.

I think the SEALs might appreciate attention to detail...

1) You don't join the Navy as a SEAL. You go to MEPS, take the ASVAB, sign on under a "big Navy" contract, get into DEP and you then work out with a NSW motivator/coordinator in your area to take the PST (and do their workouts), get good enough scores and then hope they're able to get you a SEAL contract. If you're able to do so, you then go back to your recruiting station to sign your new SO wannabe contract and your previous contract goes away. Plan on having to continually improve those scores every step of the way.

I'm not sure if you'll get much help here on the rest of your post...

Hey man, I hate heights. I don't like jumping out of airplanes. I hate when the door or ramp opens. I hate the nervous/panic feeling I get before a jump. But, I am also too much of a coward to be the only guy that doesn't jump. I also enjoy other facets of the job much, much more - so much so that it is worth it to me to experience a little discomfort every now and again (it's not like you jump every day) in order to do the rest of the job the rest of the time.

Wanna hug?

Jump school in Yuma? That's the free fall course and you'll have to worry about static line at Ft. Benning first.

The two are TOTALLY different beasts. To be frank, as a paratrooper from Benning and a civilian skydiver which shares basic traits a military freefall parachutist? Benning is 5 days of training and jumps packed into 3 weeks and ultimately, you follow the guy in front of you, do as you're told, and there are no worries. Freefalling is totally different in almost every respect.

You'll have plenty of opportunities to confront your fear of heights in BUD/S so that by the time you arrive at Benning it should be a non issue.

In short, you are worried over nothing. If this is a problem you'll fail long before you see a plane.

Actually, IF he made it that far, the Navy has a new combined SL/MFF course they do now, so the BUD/S guys no longer have any fun at Benning. And for that matter, they no longer go to Yuma anymore either (for the most part) b/c of that combined course they attend. I have heard they still go to ATIC at Yuma though, not entirely sure. But the principle is the same.

Reactions: AWP
Hey man, I hate heights. I don't like jumping out of airplanes. I hate when the door or ramp opens. I hate the nervous/panic feeling I get before a jump. But, I am also too much of a coward to be the only guy that doesn't jump. I also enjoy other facets of the job much, much more - so much so that it is worth it to me to experience a little discomfort every now and again (it's not like you jump every day) in order to do the rest of the job the rest of the time.

Wanna hug?

Haha I appreciate the info. I guess IF I make it that far it will be one of those overcoming fear things for me it just seems that what I dread more than anything for some reason. Thanks again and stay safe.

Jump school in Yuma? That's the free fall course and you'll have to worry about static line at Ft. Benning first.

The two are TOTALLY different beasts. To be frank, as a paratrooper from Benning and a civilian skydiver which shares basic traits a military freefall parachutist? Benning is 5 days of training and jumps packed into 3 weeks and ultimately, you follow the guy in front of you, do as you're told, and there are no worries. Freefalling is totally different in almost every respect.

You'll have plenty of opportunities to confront your fear of heights in BUD/S so that by the time you arrive at Benning it should be a non issue.

In short, you are worried over nothing. If this is a problem you'll fail long before you see a plane.
Understood Thank you

Are you scared of heights, or just of jumping out of a plane? Because if you are scared of heights, the cargo net on the O-course will be a challenge.

Wanna hug?

Fucking A. Takes a lot of balls to be a quitter; I ain't that brave.

I hate heights, actually get vertigo walking on the top of a connex container for example, but I've only ever refused to jump out of a plane once.

Are you scared of heights, or just of jumping out of a plane? Because if you are scared of heights, the cargo net on the O-course will be a challenge.
If he's scared of heights, just standing on the ground looking up at it will cause a bit of pucker. I'd throw the "high slide for life" in there as well.

...what it was like for them kind of get an idea maybe some motivation.

All of my jumps were static line. The first few jumps, I was so occupied on proper technique, there was little time to be scared or little time to enjoy the view and full experience. The noise, the rush, the breeze, the counting, then silence. Being up there, seeing your peers before and after you. After a few jumps, it hits you. You realize you are doing something many never have the opportunity to experience. Knowing you are living the dream. You are doing it! Planning your landing spot, lowering your gear, feet and knees together, eyes over the horizon, pull down those riser to your chest, don't look down! Let it be a surprise and do your PLF in textbook style. You instinctively get up and double check everything. You're OK, you made it. You're part of a family now. When's the next jump? Hollywood, night jumps, combat equipment, water jumps? Side door, tailgate, prop vs jet, helicopter, each a little different but the same in the end. Singing blood on the risers at the top of your lungs while waiting for the next stick to load. It's not for everyone. It's fight or flight. Some do their 5 (or less) and decide it's not for them. Some say if you aren't scared, you're dangerous. It's normal, but you can take it head on. Only you can motivate yourself to take that fear and use it to your advantage.

Good luck in your ventures.

Some people love jumping, some people are scared of it. I for one am not a huge fan but I still grab my nuts with both hands and just get it done. I got knocked out at 18,000 feet after a mid air collision with another jumper in free fall and that next jump was scarier than my first one.... but it's not like I had any other choice but to get back in the plane and dive off that ramp. Don't worry about it. If you make it through BUD/s you'll force yourself through airborne training.

Sorry for the stupid question (probably) but how easy/difficult is it for a group of guys to parachute on a roof top of a building and is there a minimum space requirement to do it safely? And would it be easier or more difficult if done HAHO or HALO? I've always wondered about that ever since I saw it on a movie.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Sorry for the stupid question (probably) but how easy/difficult is it for a group of guys to parachute on a roof top of a building and is there a minimum space requirement to do it safely? And would it be easier or more difficult if done HAHO or HALO? I've always wondered about that ever since I saw it on a movie.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
By "Parachute," do you mean "Fast-Rope." Hollywood takes a lot of liberties, and they're tactically retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back