Jump School in Yuma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring to the opening scene of Air Force One.

Sorry I couldn't find a shorter clip -- the scene starts at around 2 minutes 40 seconds.

Sorry for the stupid question (probably) but how easy/difficult is it for a group of guys to parachute on a roof top of a building and is there a minimum space requirement to do it safely? And would it be easier or more difficult if done HAHO or HALO? I've always wondered about that ever since I saw it on a movie.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Can you parachute onto the top of a building? Yes, I know a guy who has done it once or twice as a demonstration. The conditions have to be perfect (little to no wind) and a last second "Oh shit" moment is probably fatal. He said it was one of the most difficult jumps he's ever made and he's jumped into football stadiums, landed on barges or boats, etc.

I'll let the MFF qualified guys speak to it, but I personally think a HALO insertion anywhere near people on the ground is one of the dumbest ideas on the planet.

Are you scared of heights, or just of jumping out of a plane? Because if you are scared of heights, the cargo net on the O-course will be a challenge.
Heights suck don't get me wrong but I deal with it, it's just the jumping out of a perfectly good airplane haha but there are a lot of good comments back that are really motivating.

All of my jumps were static line. The first few jumps, I was so occupied on proper technique, there was little time to be scared or little time to enjoy the view and full experience. The noise, the rush, the breeze, the counting, then silence. Being up there, seeing your peers before and after you. After a few jumps, it hits you. You realize you are doing something many never have the opportunity to experience. Knowing you are living the dream. You are doing it! Planning your landing spot, lowering your gear, feet and knees together, eyes over the horizon, pull down those riser to your chest, don't look down! Let it be a surprise and do your PLF in textbook style. You instinctively get up and double check everything. You're OK, you made it. You're part of a family now. When's the next jump? Hollywood, night jumps, combat equipment, water jumps? Side door, tailgate, prop vs jet, helicopter, each a little different but the same in the end. Singing blood on the risers at the top of your lungs while waiting for the next stick to load. It's not for everyone. It's fight or flight. Some do their 5 (or less) and decide it's not for them. Some say if you aren't scared, you're dangerous. It's normal, but you can take it head on. Only you can motivate yourself to take that fear and use it to your advantage.

Good luck in your ventures.
Thank you for the reply it's actually more motivating to hear that coming from men who have been there. Thanks again

Some people love jumping, some people are scared of it. I for one am not a huge fan but I still grab my nuts with both hands and just get it done. I got knocked out at 18,000 feet after a mid air collision with another jumper in free fall and that next jump was scarier than my first one.... but it's not like I had any other choice but to get back in the plane and dive off that ramp. Don't worry about it. If you make it through BUD/s you'll force yourself through airborne training.
That does sound pretty nuts! But thank you for the reply very motivating to hear i'll keep it in mind.

IMO fear is the single greatest liability in a military unit. Uncontained fear, at least. A little... trepidation helps keep you from becoming too complacent. For SOF, airborne training of any type is often seen as a (minor) gut check and rite of passage. If you can't master your fear of heights, how are you going to master your fear in combat?

If you think you are going to be scared, then you will be. Get it into your mind now you're going to do as you're taught, and everything is going to be fine.

Also, let's not get the cart before the horse. *IF* you make it through some SOF selection program, you will probably have overcome whatever fears you have (claustrophobia, agoraphobia, acrophobia, androphobia, whatever) to the point where you can function in pretty much any training environment. So for now just concentrate in getting into one of those training programs, don't worry about what is going to happen *if* you make it through that first.

IMO fear is the single greatest liability in a military unit. Uncontained fear, at least. A little... trepidation helps keep you from becoming too complacent. For SOF, airborne training of any type is often seen as a (minor) gut check and rite of passage. If you can't master your fear of heights, how are you going to master your fear in combat?

If you think you are going to be scared, then you will be. Get it into your mind now you're going to do as you're taught, and everything is going to be fine.

Also, let's not get the cart before the horse. *IF* you make it through some SOF selection program, you will probably have overcome whatever fears you have (claustrophobia, agoraphobia, acrophobia, androphobia, whatever) to the point where you can function in pretty much any training environment. So for now just concentrate in getting into one of those training programs, don't worry about what is going to happen *if* you make it through that first.
That makes a lot of sense thank you for the reply.

I was doing some research about HALO and HAHO parachuting and found an article that said cigarette smoking increases the chance of getting hypoxia. I quit smoking about a year ago and am aware of the fact that very stringent medical requirements have to be met to be eligible for the HALO/HAHO training courses. I did some more research but couldn't find out if I would be allowed to do the HALO/HAHO training course as someone who used to smoke or is it only current smokers who would run the risk of getting hypoxia? Hope you can help!

I was doing some research about HALO and HAHO parachuting and found an article that said cigarette smoking increases the chance of getting hypoxia. I quit smoking about a year ago and am aware of the fact that very stringent medical requirements have to be met to be eligible for the HALO/HAHO training courses. I did some more research but couldn't find out if I would be allowed to do the HALO/HAHO training course as someone who used to smoke or is it only current smokers who would run the risk of getting hypoxia? Hope you can help!

Don't you have a ways to go before you need to worry about whether or not you medically qualify for HALO training?

I did search everywhere but couldn't find anything. It's very strange because the information has to be available somewhere on the internet. If any of you guys know where I might find this just post a link and I will follow it up but none of the pages I found carried the information I was looking for so I decided to ask here.

My brain just shut down.

If you're medically qualified for a course, you go. If not, you don't. Smoking isn't a disqualifier. You are worried about things so far in your future that they aren't even funny. I'm beginning to think you are trolling us.

That wasn't my intention at all and I'm sorry if it came across that way I just want to prepare myself for anything and everything that I may encounter. But thanks for the tip I was just curious that's all.

Dude, I will say it again. If you make it through BUD/s or whatever SOF course then you will be G2G. Pass a SOF selection course and the military has invested time and money into you. They will want to make it through the rest of the insert schools so they can get a return on their money. Don't worry about jumping out of airplanes, it's super easy. You walk out the back, and go off the ramp. You can step off, jump off, fall off, or be tossed out. It's all gravity after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back