Just a quick intro.

Did MEPS tell you this?
I realize it's a long way off, but the SWCC instructors don't like hearing "I want(ed) to be a SEAL, but..."
And when you say join, you mean??

To add to what SkrewzLoose is saying, did you get told you could not get a waiver? Last I knew, eyesight waivers were not hard to come by, particularly if you were close to the reqs. Hell, I knew a handful of guys in my class that had eyesight waivers.

Also, I wouldn't exactly advertise that you see SWCC as a stepping stone to the SEAL Teams. If you want to be SWCC, then be a SWCC. If you want to be a SEAL, then fight for that.

Why the fixation on NSW? Just curious, not trying to bust your balls.

Not really but me and the recruiter talked about it,
Did MEPS tell you this?
I realize it's a long way off, but the SWCC instructors don't like hearing "I want(ed) to be a SEAL, but..."
And when you say join, you mean??
No, me and the recruiter just aren't sure.
And as for the SWCC, its not like I'm settling for them I would be more than enthusiastic about getting into BCT. Just because my priority is the Teams does not mean that I wouldn't be happy getting any of the NSW jobs. Would I possibly make a shot again for SEALs after doing a good few years with NSW, yes but I'm definitely not going to bitch and moan to the instructors/CO/Teammates/etc.

To add to what SkrewzLoose is saying, did you get told you could not get a waiver? Last I knew, eyesight waivers were not hard to come by, particularly if you were close to the reqs. Hell, I knew a handful of guys in my class that had eyesight waivers.

Also, I wouldn't exactly advertise that you see SWCC as a stepping stone to the SEAL Teams. If you want to be SWCC, then be a SWCC. If you want to be a SEAL, then fight for that.

Why the fixation on NSW? Just curious, not trying to bust your balls.

Nobody told me anything about eyesight waivers and as far as I knew I thought they wouldn't give me one (According to the SEAL and SWCC website), you tend to get the wrong info when you're a civvie I guess.

Like I said before I don't see it as a stepping stone, I see it as a transfer to a different job not a step up or down in the totem pole.

As for the fixation, My family has a pretty decent history with the US Navy and since I was little it was sort of one of my big goals to join. I couldn't see myself doing a fleet job so that narrowed it down to going blue or going green, I have met a few SEALs here and there and had heard some pretty awesome stories about SWCC so I decided blue was for me. Once I decided that I began looking into all the jobs they had: EOD, SAR, Diver, SWCC, and SEAL. Then I found my preferences best matched up with SEAL, but also SWCC and EOD. So I made it my priority in that order.

Yeah, they always say you can't get waivers. lol I think the website said that 4 years ago when I was working on putting a BUD/S packet in. I wouldn't think you would have much trouble getting a waiver. Your recruiter may not want to do the paperwork for one, but that's his job so don't let him bullshit you.

There are a lot of guys that can't see themselves doing fleet jobs that end up doing fleet jobs. You need to understand the inherent risk in what you are doing and realize that the percentages say you will likely end up in a fleet job. If you don't think you could man up and do that job to the best of your ability, then you may need to do some maturing before you join up. BUD/S is a LONG course, and likely you will spend at least a month or so at BUD/S doing a lot of the same shit before you even class up and the clock starts counting down. Plus all of the beatings you get at Basic now with the NSW divisions, and the smoke sessions they put guys through every day up at the prep course in Great Lakes. A lot of things can happen in 6-8 months at BUD/S plus the 4-6 months of prep beforehand. I know no one is ever going to quit, but a lot of fucking guys quit. I was one of them. Guys get hurt by freak accidents, overuse injuries, or doing stupid shit they were told not to do. Guys get in trouble on base or out in town and get kicked out of training. Guys get performance dropped, sometimes for very vague reasons. They get peer eval'd out. They end up with some crazy infection or something during Hell Week and get dropped instead of being rolled. The point I am trying to make is that shit happens at BUD/S. It ain't always as simple as not quitting. And while I truly hope you succeed, IF you should not then you need to be able to do your fleet job and do it well.

I just wanted to add that a friend of mine was dropped at SEAL Prep. Didn't even get to BUD/S and they dropped him a few weeks prior to sending him to Coronado instead of rolling him back. So, shit can happen before you get there, too.

Back in my lane.

I appreciate the warnings and if I end up fleet I'm fine with that, its not the first time I've ever had to suck it up and do my job. If I get dropped I'll keep trying but by god I want this chance badly if I get dropped instead of rolled I'll keep trying and trying. I know talk is cheap especially online but this isn't something I'm going to let go of I want into SOF and if I have to suffer then so be it, I didn't grow up with everything brought to me I have had to work for everything I have in my life and I will work just as hard if not harder for this.

Welcome.

When I initially decided to re-enlist I took the pst and when I crossed the finish line of the run the SEAL Mentor immediately said that he could get me an age waiver. I was also extremely nearsighted and scheduled a prk procedure. They were going to send me off at 30 years old, 6 months post eye sugery, and with a waiver for each. If you do well on the pst and c-sort and you'll earn some wiggle room. That was one year ago so maybe things have changed.

I decided to follow a different path but I still had the prk. It was worth every penny.

Back